State Tournament Dates

BuckLateral

Perhaps another surprise is in the works, like double elimination?

soms,

The state tournament is a joke the way that it is now. The state of Tennessee has very few schools wrestling, two divisions (D1 & D2), place the top 6 per weight division, the brackets in D1 are larger than 16 men per weight classification, it takes three days to wrestle the tournament now and you are asking for double elimination?

I have an idea for the individual tournament:

1. Put D1 & D2 together

2. Keep no team score

3. Double elimination

4. Have 6 regions in Tennessee & you must place in the top 4 of your region to advance to the State Wrestling Tournament

5. Seed the top 8 wrestler in each weight classification & use a formula like the NCAA does. The tournament will be seeded on Sunday before the tournament begins on Thursday.

6. Place the top 8 wrestler per weight classification

7. Finals are Sat.@7:00pm

8. When doing the parade of champions have one of the finalist at the front of the line and the other finalist at the back of the line. There will be a fight one day and then Uncle Ronnie and the T$$AA will have to make a decision as to whom they are going to keep from wrestling the championship finals match. Let's be smart and be proactive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by cbg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoken like a true D2 wrestler, parent, dad, mom, whatever. Many of you forget why D1 and D2 were split in the first place. I think that there was some question about recruiting athletes, scholarships, oh I don't know, irregularities, lets say. I can agree with the sectionals and regional realignment. But one issue is the fact that most of the D2 wrestlers get to go home with a medal. Bring 16 and medal 6?

We need to look at what Georgia and North Carolina are doing right instead of timkering with the sysem we have now. Both states are more productive than we are, have more ranked kids, and have more participation.

But, every time Coach Pittman (or somebody like him) gets on here or tries to talk about divisions, everybody laughs and treats them like the village idiot.

The problem in TN is that the tail is wagging the dog. Four or five private schools are calling the shots and the other 135 schools are expected to like it.

The problem in TN is that the tail is wagging the dog. Four or five private schools are calling the shots and the other 135 schools are expected to like it.

Not exactly sure what you are saying but if you think four or five private schools are 'calling shots' you don't know much about TSSAA and it's history over the last 10 years.

I may be misunderstanding you but....

Mtnman- When you travel hours to get to the Round house and after being there 3 days straight it does seam to be a closed clique. Down on the floor all you see are shirts with D-II schools on them and some of the concessions are operated by the locale D-II parents.

I’ve been going since the late 90’s and have not seen Chattanooga Central, Hixson, Red Bank or East Ridge working this great event.

It may be a perception but it does seam that the D-II schools have a big influence at State.

Baylor and McCallie don’t attack me on this. Many of you know I respect your programs, parents and grapplers. However sitting on the D-I side I have heard this grumble over the years.

Mtnman- When you travel hours to get to the Round house and after being there 3 days straight it does seam to be a closed clique. Down on the floor all you see are shirts with D-II schools on them and some of the concessions are operated by the locale D-II parents.

I’ve been going since the late 90’s and have not seen Chattanooga Central, Hixson, Red Bank or East Ridge working this great event.

It may be a perception but it does seam that the D-II schools have a big influence at State.

Baylor and McCallie don’t attack me on this. Many of you know I respect your programs, parents and grapplers. However sitting on the D-I side I have heard this grumble over the years.

Rigger - See below.

1) Jim Morgan with Baylor has played a pivotal role in organizing the State Tournament for many years. I'm sure he would enjoy your help. Why don't you give him a call?

2) Most or all of the tableworkers on the floor are Soddy folks. Again, I'm sure they would be most happy if Hendersonville HS were to step in and provide a few dozen volunteers for 3 days.

3) The concession stands are worked by the UTC Old Timers Club with the proceeds going to the UTC wrestling program. Throughout the tournament you will see people from a few different schools including Baylor as well as UTC wrestlers. The OTC is currently working to fill the slots to work the concession stands. Please send me a message with your phone number and I'll have Mrs. Raider76 give you a call so you can schedule your time slot to work.

TheDarkHalf clearly has D2 envy...get your facts straight and stop regirgetating ignorant rhetoric you hear on the streets. i'm sure the reason you see so many baylor/mccallie folk is because they don't have far to go and plan to get there to save a good spot. it is a first come, first serve outing and it's hard to argue w/ the logistics of that policy.

Edited by chattaboogieboy