ROUND 3: Sycamore at Pearl-Cohn

Big Country

These two teams met in what was one heck of a football game back in week four. Sycamore raced out to a quick 21-0 lead in the first quarter and a half behind an Austin Lohin TD pass to John Clanton and a pair of Matt Carrigan TD runs. Pearl-Cohn rallied to get a score before the half to cut the deficit to 21-7. The Firebirds then added a score in the third quarter to make it a 21-14 contest. In the fourth and final period Pearl-Cohn scored 14-Points and won the game 28-21.

Much has changed since that warm September night. Austin Lohin's ankle injury is a lot improved since then. Deaveon Gregory has stepped up and taken charge in a PC rushing attack that back then was really struggling. Matt Carrigan has posted great rushing numbers throughout the season for the War Eagles. DeAunte Mason has had a great junior campaign both throwing and rushing.

MARK MY WORDS RIGHT NOW: The key to this game is going to be on the defensive side of the football for both teams. Sycamore has played lights out on the defensive side of the football in both of their opening round playoff wins (Meigs Co. & Station Camp). Pearl-Cohn's defense has been rather dominant since they lost the regular season contest at White House (Greenbrier, Station Camp, Polk Co., & White House). Both of these teams have terrific backs that do it in a different way. Carrigan is a power back who gets stronger as the game wears on. Gregory is a breakaway threat that has the potential to take it to the house with every carry. Both quarterbacks are mirror images of one another in the fact that both can hurt teams both throwing the football as well as rushing the football.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulatins to both teams for advancing to round 3. Each are deserving after playing ina very tough region 4 3A this year.

Gotta pull again this week for the pride of Pleaaant View, TN! The leadership of the War Eagles senior class has been sensational. The team effort, attitude, and excellent coaching are to be commended. Sycamore is playing their best football of the season right now. The Sycamore community will rally around the War Eagles on Friday night and support this team to make school history by advancing another round.

GOOD LUCK WAR EAGLES!!! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU AND BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY!!!

PEARL COHN YOU ALL ARE A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM. THIS COMING FROM A FAN OF THE TEAM YOU ALL JUST BEAT... (WHITE HOUSE) ALTHOUGH IF YOU WANT TO GO ANY FURTHER YOU HAVE TO CUT DOWN THE STUPID MISTAKES. YOU CANT GET PERSONAL FOULS, UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCTS, ETC. YOU HAVE TO BE A LITTLE MORE DISCIPLINE. YOU HAVE ALL THE TALENT IN THE WORLD AND IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU ALL HAVE A PRETTY DARN GOOD COACH. CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS CUT DOWN ALL OF THE PETTY STUFF AND WE COULD BE SEEING YOU ALL ON THAT COLD DECEMBER SATURDAY PLAYING FOR IT ALL. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE SEEN WH PLAYING FOR IT, BUT AFTER LOSING TO YOU ALL AND SEEING THE TALENT YOU GUYS HAVE I AM JUST SPEAKING THE TRUTH. DO WELL THE REST OF THE PLAYOFFS AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING YOU GUYS NEXT YEAR. I THINK THE OUTCOME WILL BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THEN... HAHA.

I like the motivational factor for Sycamore in this game. They have something to prove on the field. They believe they should have beaten the pants off Pearl in that first game and let them off the hook. The defense that plays best will win the game. Sycamore cannot turn the ball over 4 times like they did in that first game, that alone lost the game for them and cannot happen this week. Sycamore's D has been really tough against the run the last few weeks, and I think they will come to play Friday. It's all about who's ready to play at game time in the playoffs. They are both playing their best football right now, so this should be a good one.

im taking sycamore. everythings going good for them (offense, defense, special teams, and minimal injuries. but i have no idea what the score will end up being.

big country, does region 4 travel up here to good ole rocky top this year or do the knoxville boys make the journey to middle TN?

The winner of the Sycamore/Pearl-Cohn game is hosting the winner of the Fulton/Knoxville Catholic game in two weeks (Semifinals).

PEARL COHN YOU ALL ARE A VERY GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM. THIS COMING FROM A FAN OF THE TEAM YOU ALL JUST BEAT... (WHITE HOUSE) ALTHOUGH IF YOU WANT TO GO ANY FURTHER YOU HAVE TO CUT DOWN THE STUPID MISTAKES. YOU CANT GET PERSONAL FOULS, UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCTS, ETC. YOU HAVE TO BE A LITTLE MORE DISCIPLINE. YOU HAVE ALL THE TALENT IN THE WORLD AND IT SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU ALL HAVE A PRETTY DARN GOOD COACH. CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS CUT DOWN ALL OF THE PETTY STUFF AND WE COULD BE SEEING YOU ALL ON THAT COLD DECEMBER SATURDAY PLAYING FOR IT ALL. DO NOT GET ME WRONG I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE SEEN WH PLAYING FOR IT, BUT AFTER LOSING TO YOU ALL AND SEEING THE TALENT YOU GUYS HAVE I AM JUST SPEAKING THE TRUTH. DO WELL THE REST OF THE PLAYOFFS AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING YOU GUYS NEXT YEAR. I THINK THE OUTCOME WILL BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THEN... HAHA.

good points Josh,the only thing I would add is Pearls coach might be a winning coach but he will never be a great coach until he gets control of his players.They may have talent but an undisaplined team will not get you all the way.They seem to want to play dirty to intimidate instead of playing football.