ROUND 3: Sycamore at Pearl-Cohn

Big Country

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little surprised that these two are still in, but once one knocks the other out, I think the winner will run into better teams like Fulton. Pearl Cohn must shut down the gap up the middle, and Sycamore must slow down Pearl Cohns speed and takes advantage of their undisciplined play. It makes no difference to me...good luck to both teams. Have at it! :rolleyes:

These two teams met in what was one heck of a football game back in week four. Sycamore raced out to a quick 21-0 lead in the first quarter and a half behind an Austin Lohin TD pass to John Clanton and a pair of Matt Carrigan TD runs. Pearl-Cohn rallied to get a score before the half to cut the deficit to 21-7. The Firebirds then added a score in the third quarter to make it a 21-14 contest. In the fourth and final period Pearl-Cohn scored 14-Points and won the game 28-21.

Much has changed since that warm September night. Austin Lohin's ankle injury is a lot improved since then. Deaveon Gregory has stepped up and taken charge in a PC rushing attack that back then was really struggling. Matt Carrigan has posted great rushing numbers throughout the season for the War Eagles. DeAunte Mason has had a great junior campaign both throwing and rushing.

MARK MY WORDS RIGHT NOW: The key to this game is going to be on the defensive side of the football for both teams. Sycamore has played lights out on the defensive side of the football in both of their opening round playoff wins (Meigs Co. & Station Camp). Pearl-Cohn's defense has been rather dominant since they lost the regular season contest at White House (Greenbrier, Station Camp, Polk Co., & White House). Both of these teams have terrific backs that do it in a different way. Carrigan is a power back who gets stronger as the game wears on. Gregory is a breakaway threat that has the potential to take it to the house with every carry. Both quarterbacks are mirror images of one another in the fact that both can hurt teams both throwing the football as well as rushing the football.

I think the rematch will be just as exciting as the first one. I like both teams. The athleticism of Pearl Cohn makes them dangerous, but I also really like how Sycamore is playing now. I guess give the advantage to the home team, but don't be surprised to see it go the other way.