realignment

wreaking havoc

My randon thoughts on the new 2A regions -

1. I also wonder who East Robertson made mad at the TSSAA. :D

2. 6 teams in the region means 5 region games and 5 non-region games to be filled. This might be a problem for 2 reasons. First, overall won/loss record will determine the last 5 spots in the playoffs. Teams might be inclined to schedule games that they think they can win. Secondly, will teams be willing to schedule private schools? Antwan has said that Smith County would be willing to do so - they certainly stepped up by scheduling Knoxville Catholic (3A) the last 2 years. I am not trying to start an argument but CPA has had to schedule teams like Riverdale and MBA in the past to fill their schedule or travel to Chattanooga, Jackson, Gatlinburg or North Carolina.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I also wonder who East Robertson made mad at the TSSAA. :D

2. 6 teams in the region means 5 region games and 5 non-region games to be filled. This might be a problem for 2 reasons. First, overall won/loss record will determine the last 5 spots in the playoffs. Teams might be inclined to schedule games that they think they can win. Secondly, will teams be willing to schedule private schools? Antwan has said that Smith County would be willing to do so - they certainly stepped up by scheduling Knoxville Catholic (3A) the last 2 years. I am not trying to start an argument but CPA has had to schedule teams like Riverdale and MBA in the past to fill their schedule or travel to Chattanooga, Jackson, Gatlinburg or North Carolina.

I could see a potential problem for some of the privates. Most of the other 2A programs are going to have other ideas as opposed to playing the top privates. Good post!!!

"(2) Placement of teams in the brackets: Here we will deviate from the traditional bracket. Once the 32 teams have been selected for the playoffs the schools will be grouped into four 8-team quadrants. This grouping will be done without regard to region alignments. The grouping will take into account factors such as even distribution of the #3's and wild cards in the four quadrants, geography, etc."

I'm not getting how they plan to come up with four "quadrants", since they say geography will be a factor, but not region alignments. Isn't that contradicting? I'd really hope this wouldn't mean a 32 overall, as an example Gatlinburg Pittman, playing a #1 overall, Milan as an example, in a first round.

What I understand from what I read is the TSSAA is going to split the state right down the middle or close to it depending on how many make the playoffs to balance out each side of the bracket. Regions will no longer be considered always a west or east bracket region. So if more wild card teams are picked from the east, then the dividing line will be moved further east to balance the bracket or vice versa if more wild cards come from the west. So potentially teams from regions 4, 5, and 6 could be in the east bracket one year and the west the next. :D Then I guess they will take those teams and divide them into the "east bracket seeds" and the "west bracket seeds" using what criteria I haven't got a clue...kinda screwed up if you ask me but I don't know how else they could have done it.

Edited by Lions4ever

TN has to many classes anyway. The state should only have Four classes ( A, AA, AAA, AAAA ) for ALL SPORTS. This would keep travel down and develop rivalries for all sports, not just football or just basketball and baseball.

I AGREE TOTALLY 4 CLASSES WOULD BE PERFECT I THINK THAT WOULD SOLVE MOST PROBLEMS TRAVEL MOST OF ALL. :thumb:

BUT IM SURE THE T$$AA WANTS 5 BECAUSE OF MONEY. :lol:

1. I also wonder who East Robertson made mad at the TSSAA. :thumb:

I thought that too Bighurt. :lol: Poor East Robertson. If Wavo wants in 5AA, I bet East Robertson would trade regions with them. As far as the privates scheduling goes, I figured they'd split them east and west and then they could schedule each other for non region games. I don't know what is gained by keeping all of the ABC schools in the same region. Surely the private schools aren't lobbying for this.

I'm happy for Harpeth. They'll be in a region with natural rivals, all closed zone rural publics. They probably are the weak link at playoff time, but the regular season will be fun again. The Gold Balls are hard to come by anyway for rural publics.

I guess there's icycles in Hades right now. I never thought the TSSAA would go this route.