realignment

wreaking havoc

But you can legislate home schoolers and prevent them from playing in the TSSAA? Private schools would go under if they didn't recruit students. They can't just open the doors and expect to fill the classrooms. I fully understand that. They also attract a larger percentage of athletes than are enrolled at the public schools. Anyone can move from apartment to apartment in different school zones or even buy a house if that's what they want to do. The way to legislate it is to make all transfers sit out a year after each move OR allow everyone to have open enrollment. Neither is going to happen. The closed zone publics suffer because of it.

But to make an athelete sit out a year after a transfer also hurts that childs chances to play at the next level. Last time I check, this whole high school football thing was for just that- the kids. So what if a football program suffers a bit if the kids on the team get the chance to play? Yes you can move from place to place and school to school, but that's not exactly, a "stable home" for a child to grow up in.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok well in order to figure out why a public school that is zoned does not want to play against a private you have to take a look at some of the reasons why an athlete or parent would want to be at that private school.

1) the percentage of athletes that get scholarship offers from colleges vs the percentage of public school athletes.

2)Face it if you play public ball the chances of being seen as a good player are slim, you have to be an outstanding player vs the chances of being seen at a private school that is a known producer of talent. The chance is so much higher even if you are not the one originally being scouted you have a chance of being seen.

3) Private schools start early in the recruiting stages that is why alot of these kids get to say well we have played together since 5th or 6th grade.. it is because alot of them have. The Privates begin the process as low as 5th grade and if your child is good they make offers to bring them to their school at xxx price instead of full tuition.

4) Some "not all" parents who have the money to put their child in a private school also have the money to provide things like private trainers home work out equipment, Heck I even knew a guy who's parent put uprights in their back yard and had hash mark and yard lines so that he could practice field goals all the time. How many public school parents have the money for that?

There are so many more things that Privates have over Public School oppurtunities.

If I have the money will my child go to a private school ?? You bet but don't let me be fooled into saying that it is for a better education or to get them away from some of the things happening at a public school>> no way there is just as much if not more drugs in a private school gang activity is there also there are plenty of fights .. marginally safer, slightly better academics. So why would I want my child there? ONE thing >College. I want my daughters to go to a school where regardless of what sport they play the team is a winning powerhouse and she will have a chance to get a scholarship offer.

Could she get it at a public school?? Yeah maybe but the chances are so much better at private school.

And any time you have so many parents who want their children to go to that kind of a school, well you end up with a school with so many gifted athletes that they continue to have a powerhouse team. And one begats the other.

They should only compete against each other and teams that want to play them, not teams forced to play them, just like when JV scrimmages a JR high team why ?? So the coach can see where his boys are the weakest and strongest and work on it. If I were a coach I would want my team to play stronger teams but at the cost of going to a state playoff ?? Hmm not so sure anymore. If SOS counted and I could stand a loss against a team like Goodpasture or Brentwood Academy then I by all means I want to see how we fair against them let our boys hang it all out for the pure competition of it. But not if it keeps my boys from going to state.

Sorry for the long winded post I could go on But I will stop.

Edited by GoingInsane

Some posters are lumping ALL privates together as a recruiting private.

This is simply not the case.

Well said. Not all private schools recruit and not all private schools have multi-million dollar facilities.

This has not been mentioned in this thread, so I'll throw it out there - for those who say we need a 100% split between public and private because private schools can recruit, what about magnet schools? Those are public schools, who open their doors to kids in that zone, but also accept kids from outside that zone through a lottery each year as well. Would Liberty have won a basketball championship last year if they weren't a magnet school? Maybe. But the advantage of being a magnet school probably helped. This is not a knock on magnet schools, because I think they're wonderful and they provide opportunities that kids might not have at the other public schools in a community, but I do think we need to remember that, at least in the context of this discussion, not all public schools are created equal.

What about counties with open zoning? In counties that have it, ever notice how there seems to be one high school that excels in football but is not that great in basketball, and maybe another that's great in basketball but not so great in football? If kids were forced to attend only one school because of zoning (like most of the State), would that situation be different? Maybe.

The point being, if some of the folks in this thread want to separate private schools from public schools solely because certain private schools recruit, I think you also have to acknowledge that not all public schools are created equal, and that a reasonable argument can be made that certain types of public schools recruit as well.

If it's equality that you want, the TSSAA needs to move all privates into one separate division, eliminate magnet & open zone county schools from championship consideration and go ahead and set all public school zones so that they are equal in every region of the State. Otherwise, we're still comparing apples to oranges unless everybody is playing by the same set of rules.

Obviously, that isn't going to happen because it's an unrealistic expectation, but once you start separating schools because some are private, some recruit, etc...where do you stop?

Count me among those who are happy with the way things are now, but it is worth considering that if the private schools are eliminated, and magnet schools etc... win championships, will people start a movement to split magnet/open-zoned schools off the TSSAA public school division as well?

Well said. Not all private schools recruit and not all private schools have multi-million dollar facilities.

This has not been mentioned in this thread, so I'll throw it out there - for those who say we need a 100% split between public and private because private schools can recruit, what about magnet schools? Those are public schools, who open their doors to kids in that zone, but also accept kids from outside that zone through a lottery each year as well. Would Liberty have won a basketball championship last year if they weren't a magnet school? Maybe. But the advantage of being a magnet school probably helped. This is not a knock on magnet schools, because I think they're wonderful and they provide opportunities that kids might not have at the other public schools in a community, but I do think we need to remember that, at least in the context of this discussion, not all public schools are created equal.

What about counties with open zoning? In counties that have it, ever notice how there seems to be one high school that excels in football but is not that great in basketball, and maybe another that's great in basketball but not so great in football? If kids were forced to attend only one school because of zoning (like most of the State), would that situation be different? Maybe.

The point being, if some of the folks in this thread want to separate private schools from public schools solely because certain private schools recruit, I think you also have to acknowledge that not all public schools are created equal, and that a reasonable argument can be made that certain types of public schools recruit as well.

If it's equality that you want, the TSSAA needs to move all privates into one separate division, eliminate magnet & open zone county schools from championship consideration and go ahead and set all public school zones so that they are equal in every region of the State. Otherwise, we're still comparing apples to oranges unless everybody is playing by the same set of rules.

Obviously, that isn't going to happen because it's an unrealistic expectation, but once you start separating schools because some are private, some recruit, etc...where do you stop?

Count me among those who are happy with the way things are now, but it is worth considering that if the private schools are eliminated, and magnet schools etc... win championships, will people start a movement to split magnet/open-zoned schools off the TSSAA public school division as well?

Does magnet schools take out of county students ...... athletics?

I am not sure how soon it is going to be addressed, but it is coming. If they don't separate the public and privates, the privates should all have to play AAAAA. That would equal the playing field.

Not all recruit athletically, but there are ways around that with academic scholarships, the facilities, the promises of better consideration for colleges, the best coaches money can buy.

It's a shame that public high school coaches have to coach for what they get as supplements.