Matsuzaka Sweepstakes!

I am as some of you know a big Redsox fan but 42million just to talk to guy who has never thrown a pitch in the majors seems a little ridiculous. Is Theo Epstein getting desperate after last season's disappointing season? Is this a knee jerk reaction in trying to keep up with the Yankees or is this World Baseball Classic MVP worth it? I would be interested to know what some of you guys think. Thnx

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am as some of you know a big Redsox fan but 42million just to talk to guy who has never thrown a pitch in the majors seems a little ridiculous. Is Theo Epstein getting desperate after last season's disappointing season? Is this a knee jerk reaction in trying to keep up with the Yankees or is this World Baseball Classic MVP worth it? I would be interested to know what some of you guys think. Thnx

Even if he is the greatest pitcher in the hsitory of the game 42 mill plus what you have to pay him has to impact money available to pay rest of team--how much money do the Red Sox have. Maybe their pockets are deep enough, but if they are not able to sign or keep a couple of guys or let a couple go because of this, is it worth it for a guy who will play 20% of your games. Looks like Sox are trying to out George George.

Even if he is the greatest pitcher in the hsitory of the game 42 mill plus what you have to pay him has to impact money available to pay rest of team--how much money do the Red Sox have. Maybe their pockets are deep enough, but if they are not able to sign or keep a couple of guys or let a couple go because of this, is it worth it for a guy who will play 20% of your games. Looks like Sox are trying to out George George.

Believe me when I say the pockets are deep enough but this goes against the philosophy of the club for the last 3 years. They let maybe the best leadoff in the history of the franchise in Johnny Damon go because of fiscal responsibility. They let Pedro walk (maybe now not such a bad choice) for the same reason. This on the outset at least looks highly unlogical. We shall see. I do think they have to sign Matsuzaka now or it becomes a public relations nightmare.

Believe me when I say the pockets are deep enough but this goes against the philosophy of the club for the last 3 years. They let maybe the best leadoff in the history of the franchise in Johnny Damon go because of fiscal responsibility. They let Pedro walk (maybe now not such a bad choice) for the same reason. This on the outset at least looks highly unlogical. We shall see. I do think they have to sign Matsuzaka now or it becomes a public relations nightmare.

I agree that this is a PR move and nothing else.

If you look at what it is going to cost to get this guy, he better win 25 a season. I just find it fascinating the amount of money they are willing to pay a guy that has faced what is commonly compared to AAA level competition............

I agree that this is a PR move and nothing else.

If you look at what it is going to cost to get this guy, he better win 25 a season. I just find it fascinating the amount of money they are willing to pay a guy that has faced what is commonly compared to AAA level competition............

Sol I thought like u at first but now that my team has made this commitment I have taken a closer look. Even if Matsuzaka played in triple A ball just remember he dominated that league. He was the ace and the star of Japanese baseball. Now it is still a risk but other guys here in the states have had an immediate impact on there teams when called up from triple A. Well what does this mean? He may not win the 25 games u say he has to win but if he wins 17 then he has won one more game than Beckett did last year and that lead the staff. Who else other than Clemens can they go out and get that would be an automatic 17 game winner. This may turn out bad but I am willing to give this proven winner a chance. :thumb:

I read a little more about this myself, and while I still think it's insane, it does make good sense. Boston's front office is convinced the next wave of talent is coming from the Far East and they want to have their stake in it. Also, they make make the $51 million back fairly easily in merchendise sales alone in Japan. Apparently they are sending a full time marketing person over there by the beginning fo the season, and every one of his starts will be shown on TV there.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the Redsox got their man and I think it was a fair contract. The bid was too high but it may payoff in the end. We will see. From everything I have read and heard and seen( i.e. WBC) this guy is the real deal. Nobody that I have heard has had one bad thing to say about him. It is has been a very exciting offseason for the Redsox and as a fan look forward to a very interesting season. :)