Ravenwood vs. White Station

CHS 2007

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt Melrose has a deeper, richer football tradition than most schools in Memphis. But, WSHS has a young coach, its teams have been in the playoffs for 4 years in a row, and its one of the best schools in the state academically ( 21 National Merit Semi Finalists this year, no one else comes close ).

I think we are a good bet.

I agree that White Station is a bona fide good bet academically, Stuman89.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WS has an outstanding, young Coach who has done a tremendous job turning WS's football program around. This year has been very special. I applaud their accomplishments. That notwithstanding, Stuman89, simply making the playoffs 4 straight years is still NOT enough to render WS a "good bet" relative to being considered an "established football power."

Stuman89, please do not misunderstand my position here: Let me be clear--I'm not here to bash White Station. Far from it! All I'm saying is that becoming an ESTABLISHED "football (power) school," takes time and consecutive deep runs into the playoffs....(at least).

White Station is clearly on the right road to becoming a an "established football power." As for now, agree or disagree, WS simply is not there yet.

Making the playoffs 4-strait years probably would probably solidify a school as a "football power," provided they actually made, let's say, semi-final/final appearances during those years. Ironically, making the playoffs 4-stait years but losing 4-strait times, in the 1st round...this does absolutely NOTHING to establish a school's as a perennial "football power!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuman, I suspect that as long as White Station keeps its current head Coach, they will eventually become an "established football power." This year was clearly the breakout year for WS football, IMO. They finally won a playoff game--not just one, but THREE (and counting).... Hopefully it will become 5 playoffs wins, culminating in a 5A State Title!

Go White Station. Beat Ravenwood. :thumb:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 playoff wins ............. $21

Becoming an established football power.........priceless.

WHS winning the 2006 5A State Football Championship........ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!

Edited by TraderB

Your point is well taken. It takes a consistant winning tradition over many years to become established as a " power " in any sport. Always more impressive when that happens over decades with multiple coaches/administrations involved.

We are certainly not there yet. My hat is off to Ravenwood, they have accomplished so much to have only existed for 4 years.

... My hat is off to Ravenwood, they have accomplished so much to have only existed for 4 years.

I concur, Stuman89.

Now, all we (Memphians) need is for White Station to put a Memphis-style whoopin' on Ravenwood, & deny them the chance for a repeat. Besides, they've accomplished enough already. ;)

Hey, Memphis needs another 5A Title, not Ravenwood!

so many people are talking about ridgeway on here it is crazy.. stop talking about of could have been when you guys failed. i was looking forward to playing you guys in the semis but it looks like ill be hangin out with you from the sidelines.. all i have to say is go raptors and that ill be there all the way from WilCo and have to be back by 9 in the morning though so it doesnt look like im gettin a hotel anymore

get over yourself. we are ridgeway fans but are supporting wshs now as they are the only memphis city school still playing football right now. yes, we failed and are not playing this week but we can still talk about what could have been because we love and support our team. PAPAW was just giving the best comparison he could based on points for/against b/c he has only seen ridgeway play this year. he knows about ravenwood from our semi- game with you last year and probably thought b/c ravenwood was familiar with ridgeway they might be able to decipher something from it. it's great y'all are still playing and your coach and team have done a great job turning their season around. don't know if you are a player or a fan, but a little humility never hurt anyone. very few memphis people get on these boards. if we weren't here talking to you with kwc and traderb, looks like you would only have stuman and maybe one other person to converse with.

hope you and all the other ravenwood fans have a safe trip and that the game is injury free and exciting to watch.

GO SPARTANS!!! (don't think i've said that since the 80's!)

You know crc. you make an interesting point. There are very few posters from Memphis on these boards, private or public. I have been reading posts here for a few years ( never posted much tbh ) and that struck me from the very first.

It would be nice to hear from more Melrose, Germantown, etc. fans just to get some different prospectives. Its been very interesting to learn more about these Middle and East TN schools from all of their fans.

I concur, Stuman89.

Now, all we (Memphians) need is for White Station to put a Memphis-style whoopin' on Ravenwood, & deny them the chance for a repeat. Besides, they've accomplished enough already. ;)

Hey, Memphis needs another 5A Title, not Ravenwood!

It's not going to be given. It will have to be earned.

Edited by rapbwood