Ravenwood vs. White Station

CHS 2007

Weatherbug is showing an expected high of 68 on Friday, so gametime should be fine football weather.

The turf at Halle was getting pretty torn up a few weeks ago due to varsity and jr varsity play. Consequently, we had to move one of our regularly scheduled Halle games to the Fairgrounds, and we've been there since. White Station fans normally fill up our side on any given regular season game, so I expect this one is going to be really crowded!

It's tough to know what to expect from Ravenwood, because the mid/east Tn teams do carry a reputation of playing a level up from Memphis teams. Especially with the way Ravenwood has elevated their level of play this year. I'm hoping both teams play hard, stay safe, and that it results in a great game for all to remember.

Go Spartans! :thumb:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know why Ravenwood doesn't get to play this game at home. They have been on the road for three games. In 1988 Dickson County played the first playoff game at home and then went on the road for two games and then were able to play the semi-finals at home becuase they had been on the road for the last two games. Hendersonville was supposed to have been at home all the way through the playoffs, but the game was moved to Dickson because of a rule that you only play two games on the road. Has this rule been changed?

I would like to know why Ravenwood doesn't get to play this game at home. They have been on the road for three games. In 1988 Dickson County played the first playoff game at home and then went on the road for two games and then were able to play the semi-finals at home becuase they had been on the road for the last two games. Hendersonville was supposed to have been at home all the way through the playoffs, but the game was moved to Dickson because of a rule that you only play two games on the road. Has this rule been changed?

Sorry I can't help you with the question about home field but we don't care either way. We enjoy the challenge of playing on the road and (hopefully) winning away from home. Our fans follow us and show incredible support so it almost feels like we have a "home field".

Bottom of the bracket teams host in even years and top of bracket teams host in odd years once you reach the quarterfinals and up. Look up the brackets at the tssaa web site and you'll see what I mean. Only exception is at the quarterfinal level where it is still possible for teams from the same region to be playing each other. In those instances, the higher seeded team hosts.

Sorry I can't help you with the question about home field but we don't care either way. We enjoy the challenge of playing on the road and (hopefully) winning away from home. Our fans follow us and show incredible support so it almost feels like we have a "home field".

The semifinal round alternates between midstate and West TN locations. Last year Ridgeway had to come to Mid TN to play Ravenwood. This year regardless of win/loss we have to go to West TN to play this round (as would any of the other 5A winners in our bracket). Same goes for the East side of the state and schools in Wilson/Rutherford County area.

So far there are 5 Grayline buses filled with Raptor Nation fans, plus families coming back from Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky and Tennessee after turkey day just to see this game.

WE BELIEVE!

TraderB:

If you use the same logic concerning students attending RHS because it was a safer/better choice for school. Wouldn't that very same logic apply to White Station? Think about it. Cooley is gone and the next coach isn't established. White Station has an established coach and a very exciting brand of football. I think Melrose will always benifiet from their winning ways. Heck, I've already heard of some folks who are planning on leaving one school to go to Melrose. I would think that White Station would benifiet as well. Melrose isn't the only school that attracts top notch football players.

Kwc,

I'm hesitant to say that the same logic would apply to WS, simply because WS has not ESTABLISHED itself as a "winning" football School.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that WS plays an exciting brand of football. It's just that, IMO, it takes more than one or two wining seasons to establish a "winning tradition." Unfortunately, it's not a label that a school can just wave a wand and give to itself. It's kinda' like trust--it must be earned...over time!

The jury is still out on whether WS can be "trusted," so to speak, to be a perennial football power. This is why I can easily see a top-notch F-baller entertaining the notion of x-ferring to WS, but actually stopping short of actually doing so...

You know, Kwc--it's just one of those decisions where one still has some doubt in the back of his mind, "....should I, or should I not? Umm, I'm really not sure..."There's that little voice of uncertainty in the back of a kid's mind--that's all it takes to cause a kid to say, "nah, I'm think I'm gonna just go on over to Melrose...."

From an odds perspective, WS football is still a crapshoot--a gamble.

With Melrose....Well, with Melrose it's a odds-on safe bet. There is absolutely ZERO DOUBT--no uncertainty in a kid's mind that Melrose will be in the hunt for a State Title, practically every year.

Years and years of winning football games (and a State Title or two) established Melrose as a "winning football school." Rest assured, Melrose did not give itself that label. They couldn't have bought it either, not for all the tea in China! Melrose earned it, over time. It certaintly took Melrose more than one or two winning seasons to establish that reputation.

You're right, Kwc--Melrose isn't the only school that attracts top-notch football players. I would wager, however (without actually seeing any statistics), that Melrose gets a larger share of the top-notch F-Ballers, than any other public school in town. It's probably safe to say that the REASON Melrose attracts top-notch F-Ballers is due, in large part, to its long-established " winning tradition."

While it's certaintly conceivable that WS might get a few top-notch F-Ball x-fers next year, I suggest to you that WS won't get nearly as many as Melrose. WS simply needs to add a few more consecutive, winning, playoff seasons to its ledger before they'll be thought of as a "safe" bet to make a State Title run and, therefore, a safe bet to attract the top-notch football players.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winning 3 playoff games in 2 years....$21

Establishing a Winning football tradition.....PRICELESS!

No doubt Melrose has a deeper, richer football tradition than most schools in Memphis. But, WSHS has a young coach, its teams have been in the playoffs for 4 years in a row, and its one of the best schools in the state academically ( 21 National Merit Semi Finalists this year, no one else comes close ).

I think we are a good bet.

Edited by stuman89

No doubt Melrose has a deeper, richer football tradition than most schools in Memphis. But, WSHS has a young coach, its teams have been in the playoffs for 4 years in a row, and its one of the best schools in the state academically ( 21 National Merit Semi Finalists this year, no one else comes close ).

I think we are a good bet.

I agree stuman89! Not to mention that Melrose can't accomodate every top notch player in the area. Players, and players families might also have a preferance after talking to each coach, school officials, and finding which situation will fit them best. It's not strictly a "winning tradition" that will win everyone over.