best teams in Mountain Lakes for next year?

athlete269

He does do as he pleases, that's for sure.

He's just hanging out w/ the wrong crowd on occasions

Just like he did in earlier years of middle school.

And yes, a tank and a bulldozer never hurt to have on your football team.

He does require a special person to get to him.

And I'm pretty sure I know a couple of people that can get to him.

I think I'm going to be making me a trip back over to the middle school sometime soon...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes a young man needs the football team more than the football team needs the young man. It truly is amazing to consider what this sport- if coached correctly- can offer to its players, coaches, and community. I sincerely hope that both this individual and Sullivan South will prosper next season.

Back to the topic- it will be very interesting to see how Unicoi responds with a little success under its belt. The Devils lost some great seniors, but one can never underestimate an offense and defense already installed into a program. This might be the first time in decades that UC has any kind of offensive and defensive consistancy from season to season. Identity plays a huge part in high school football success- ask Johnson County and Elizabethton- and I can only hope that Unicoi is on its way to establish one.

Quick question for the South posters: Why doesn't Colonial Heights field a seventh grade team? Nothing in a program this strong is constructed by accident, I was just curious to the reasoning behind only having an eighth grade team.

Sometimes a young man needs the football team more than the football team needs the young man. It truly is amazing to consider what this sport- if coached correctly- can offer to its players, coaches, and community. I sincerely hope that both this individual and Sullivan South will prosper next season.

Back to the topic- it will be very interesting to see how Unicoi responds with a little success under its belt. The Devils lost some great seniors, but one can never underestimate an offense and defense already installed into a program. This might be the first time in decades that UC has any kind of offensive and defensive consistancy from season to season. Identity plays a huge part in high school football success- ask Johnson County and Elizabethton- and I can only hope that Unicoi is on its way to establish one.

Quick question for the South posters: Why doesn't Colonial Heights field a seventh grade team? Nothing in a program this strong is constructed by accident, I was just curious to the reasoning behind only having an eighth grade team.

I was discussing this very issue with some fellow football Dads a few weeks ago. Our age differentiation ranges from the late 60's to the 80's. In the late 60's early 70's most 2A high schools were 9-12 and their feeder schools were 1-8. In the 3A schools (the new schools) they only had 10-12 and the elementary schools were 1-6. They had Jr. High Schools that were 7-9. In this configuration, there were 3 teams which accomidated 7-9. This system, our discussion decided, was best for the athletes. I imagine this changed in the late 70's and surely because of money concerns. Colonial Heights doesn't do it because of money. The optimist league is the Heights claim to fame. Colonial Heights middle operates mainly by fund raising parents. If left to county funds we would be nothing more than a stick in the mud. So the answer to your question is money...or the lack of. It would be nice if all schools were on the same page when it came to rules and regulations. I personally think 6th graders have no business being caged with 7th and 8th graders. And currently 7th graders that don't make the middle school team (8th grade) are allowed to play down to the 6th grade optimist league team. Effectively reducing the playing time of the 6th graders. So yes, I am partial to the old Jr. High system.

I am quite surprised by the energy of this thread, particularly considering that no one from Region 1 4-A will be advancing past the second round of the playoffs again next year. The stories in the NET area will be the dominance of both the Morristown programs, renewals at Central and Greeneville, and the domino buzz created by coaching changes.

At this time, my MLC picks for next year are:

THS (motivated, see below)

Johnson County (talented & get South at home, but can they replace Atwood?)

South (the easy pick for 1st, but ...)

Central (with the right coach)

East (could be fourth if the Central story does not play out)

Unicoi (a little uneasy; why wasn't Cooper voted Coach of the Year by his peers?)

Elizabethton (a real mess until they fix their internal issues)

North (hard nosed effort but the pipeline is thin)

I say "at this time", because if Pless is fired at Elizabethton and Rider from Volunteer is hired (as is strongly rumored) then the Cyclones could be much better. Also, Central may pick from within the staff which would assure continued disaster and East could lose Ralph Nelson to SHHS. Who knows? That is what makes these boards so much fun.

Now, some more detailed comments on South and THS. As the off season and spring practice progresses, I hope to update my analysis with details from other teams.

Next year the easy pick will be South. While certainly a playoff team, the truth is that South will have significant challenges in replacing and/or developing alot of skill people, linemen, and linebackers. Phillips will, of course, return and be an All Conference (at least) QB and Divison 1 prospect. South does not have a lot of sophomores and juniors returning. They will likely have a much younger team than at any time in the past 4 years. Perhaps a running attack (besides Phillips keeping the ball) will emerge. After all, for all the talk on this board about upcoming RBs at South, there is not a proven returning back as there have been in some recent previous years, e.g., Robinette, Hudgins, Sandidge, McMillin. A lot of people will have to step up at OL, DL, LB, WR, DB, and RB. This can and does happen at good "programs". We will see next year if South has one. If South can three peat then Stacy Carter will have certainly earned a third Coach of the Year award.

Do not underestimate the intensity with which Stubbs at THS will approach this season, particularly his confrontation with his recent arch-rival, South. South, under Stacy Carter, has been a thorn in his side for three years. Don't forget, South was a muffed punt away from the biggest upset in the playoffs in 2004 against one of the best Viking teams in recent memory. In 2005, South was a better team but needed to, and did, get over the hump of victory against the Vikings. In 2006, South was not as good but outplayed and outcoached the Vikings. In fact, this may have been a tipping point in the MLC; South now may feel like they have the "MoJo" when these two teams play. A good part of the motivation for THS's good late season performance was the chance at a "second shot" at the Rebels. Motivation is not the only thing in the Viking's favor. The talent pipeline also looks good; THS freshmen dominated D-B frosh in a late season game.

Reply to the question on CHMS not fielding a 7th grade team.

I think compusatman's comments on the history were essentially correct.

I also think it has something to do with the old Middle School County and City Leagues. In the County League, no one was expected to field a 7th grade team; the "Service Club League" (Optimist, Ruritan, etc) had 6th and 7th grade teams. In the City Middle School League, schools were expected to field a 7th and an 8th grade team. Colonial Heights has recently (this past season) moved to the City League. They will be under pressure to field both 7th and 8th grade teams. This will probably hurt their Optimist 7th grade team. That is a cost of moving up in classification.

BTW, does anyone have any insight on why they moved up? Was it dictated by TMSAA or was it their choice? Just curious.

I was discussing this very issue with some fellow football Dads a few weeks ago. Our age differentiation ranges from the late 60's to the 80's. In the late 60's early 70's most 2A high schools were 9-12 and their feeder schools were 1-8. In the 3A schools (the new schools) they only had 10-12 and the elementary schools were 1-6. They had Jr. High Schools that were 7-9. In this configuration, there were 3 teams which accomidated 7-9. This system, our discussion decided, was best for the athletes. I imagine this changed in the late 70's and surely because of money concerns. Colonial Heights doesn't do it because of money. The optimist league is the Heights claim to fame. Colonial Heights middle operates mainly by fund raising parents. If left to county funds we would be nothing more than a stick in the mud. So the answer to your question is money...or the lack of. It would be nice if all schools were on the same page when it came to rules and regulations. I personally think 6th graders have no business being caged with 7th and 8th graders. And currently 7th graders that don't make the middle school team (8th grade) are allowed to play down to the 6th grade optimist league team. Effectively reducing the playing time of the 6th graders. So yes, I am partial to the old Jr. High system.

I think another driving force for the move away from Junior High was the mandated move to public school kindergarden. This effectively put a 13th grade in the public schools and forced a restructuring of facilities.

I think another driving force for the move away from Junior High was the mandated move to public school kindergarden. This effectively put a 13th grade in the public schools and forced a restructuring of facilities.

You are correct. This obviously was a major consideration and probably the straw that broke the camels back. In my opinion, money for education is #1 priority and just as important as military spending. I don't see Sullivan County preventing the State of Tennessee from taking over this district as far as management is concerned. It's rediculous that the starting salary difference between city and county systems is anywhere near $10,000.00. All that is an argument for another day however, it is the deciding factor many times when it comes to athletic programs and their attempted success. It is, as an example, absurd to have a school with 5A capacity to be plodding along with 2A enrollment and fighting for the same money true 4/5A schools are desparately in need of to survive. My point? Re-shuffle the cards.

Edited by compusatman

Reply to the question on CHMS not fielding a 7th grade team.

I think compusatman's comments on the history were essentially correct.

I also think it has something to do with the old Middle School County and City Leagues. In the County League, no one was expected to field a 7th grade team; the "Service Club League" (Optimist, Ruritan, etc) had 6th and 7th grade teams. In the City Middle School League, schools were expected to field a 7th and an 8th grade team. Colonial Heights has recently (this past season) moved to the City League. They will be under pressure to field both 7th and 8th grade teams. This will probably hurt their Optimist 7th grade team. That is a cost of moving up in classification.

BTW, does anyone have any insight on why they moved up? Was it dictated by TMSAA or was it their choice? Just curious.

It was indeed their choice,it was not forced.