State Championships

h2odog

As many of you are coaches and parents of players, what is customary for a school to do for the players winning the State. Reason for the question is because St. Agnes is only getting rings for the players who went to state. Seven or eight did not make the trip as there are about 30 girls in total, JV and V. Several who did not go had more playing time than some who did, even in varsity games. Seven, I think of the girls who made the trip, never played a minute. Every kid I know who has been on a championship team told me everyone one got a ring even if they never played in a varisity game. Something about being a TEAM. Seems unfair to me, but maybe I have a bias as my daughter who went last year, did not get to go this year and feels left out. Just looking to those better informed for some insight.

Edited by h2odog

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, not based on any experience, but, I would think that ALL members of the team should recieve a ring. They were all part of the journey that put the team in the position to play the title game. This would include all of those injured, but could not play, whether from the first game of the year, or during the playoffs as well. I really don't see how one could draw a line of distinction fairly. There are many varibles that play into a successful season and all who have contributed should be recognized.

As far as Bearden is concerned, all 30 girls are getting rings. However, each family is responsible for the cost of the rings with some help from generous donors. There was never a question of who would get a ring. They did everything as a team including all traveling, all dressing out for all games, varsity required to be on the sidelines of all JV games, etc. Everyone contributed in one way or another, so all are very deserving of a championship ring.

Just my opinion, not based on any experience, but, I would think that ALL members of the team should recieve a ring. They were all part of the journey that put the team in the position to play the title game. This would include all of those injured, but could not play, whether from the first game of the year, or during the playoffs as well. I really don't see how one could draw a line of distinction fairly. There are many varibles that play into a successful season and all who have contributed should be recognized.

I agree that all who have contributed should be recognized. After all this is a TEAM sport. I hope all those girls get their rings. They have earned them.

Edited by chasanooga

Thanks to all of you who responded. We were out of town during Thanksgiving...sorry it took so long to get back.

I agree that one cannot really distinguish where the contributors start and stop so it is best to honor the TEAM as a whole. In this case there are only 8 girls being left out. I know football teams get 70 ++ when they win. The money is not an issue, it is political. Big mistake for the future, if the decision is not reversed.

In many ways the practices were some of the toughest competition the team faced during the regular season. If the girls made every practice and made the team better, why are they not ONE???

What are your thoughts Soccergypsy and any other with previous experiences.

I think anyone who is listed on the varsity roster at any time during the season, should be recognized. We even get rings for our managers and trainers. (Each person does have to pay for them, though)

I want to be sure I understand your reply. Every girl, but one (I think) played in at least one varsity game during the year. There is at least one girl who played in the Katie Hunter Tournament who got a medal and did not get to go to state who is not being honored. She also scored in Varsity games. Another player being left out prevented a goal in a Varsity game that would have cost the two records SAA tied this season and those will be in the record books for a long time. How's that for a lack of support of the players. I am not talking about several freshmen who just practice, I am talking about contributors and girls who are seriously thinking of not playing next year as their feel abandoned.

Is there a limit to the size of your traveling squad to state? I'm just wondering why anyone got left off the bus to begin with. Seems like you would want to take everyone since they all contribute, whether it is challenging players in practice or cheering them on during games.

The school for the first time in history, decided to limit those going to state to the 22 which is the number they have to turn in for the official roster. I know you can take as many as you wish and they can all sit on the bench and the 22 don't have to know who they are and everyone is one big happy family/team. The 22 had girls with less playing time and experience than the some of the 8 who stayed home.

The school for the first time in history, decided to limit those going to state to the 22 which is the number they have to turn in for the official roster. I know you can take as many as you wish and they can all sit on the bench and the 22 don't have to know who they are and everyone is one big happy family/team. The 22 had girls with less playing time and experience than the some of the 8 who stayed home.

I can understand the limit of 22 for dressing out at state (even though most football teams bring everyone) especially at St. Agnes with its academics and the school time that would be missed. What I can't understand is why they would want to limit rings to just 22 players when all contributed in some way to this remarkable season. This will harm the program moving forward unless the decision is reversed for your daughter and others.

I want to be sure I understand your reply. Every girl, but one (I think) played in at least one varsity game during the year. There is at least one girl who played in the Katie Hunter Tournament who got a medal and did not get to go to state who is not being honored. She also scored in Varsity games. Another player being left out prevented a goal in a Varsity game that would have cost the two records SAA tied this season and those will be in the record books for a long time. How's that for a lack of support of the players. I am not talking about several freshmen who just practice, I am talking about contributors and girls who are seriously thinking of not playing next year as their feel abandoned.

It looks like you understood my response. If any of these girls stepped on the field, (or in my opinion were even listed on the varsity roster any time during the season) get them a ring. What does it hurt to get them one? My managers ring looks just like our leading scorers, and the while the manager never saved a goal or scored one, he was part of our team. But that is just my opinion. I don't know the situation outside of what you told me, so I am not going to judge. I hope everything works out for you.

I think anyone who is listed on the varsity roster at any time during the season, should be recognized. We even get rings for our managers and trainers. (Each person does have to pay for them, though)

Seems like a reasonable approach. To do otherwise would be to ignore those who helped get you there, and also, leave a bitter (and possibly lasting) taste in the mouths of those who get shorted.