Ravenwood vs Smyrna

tj37067

First off, I have to say that I'm so glad Ravenwood is not playing Ooltewah. Not because the Owls would win, but because I don't have to read posts from all the smack talkers from there. I swear, some of those people think the sun and moon hang over their school and have no clue about the quality of football played in middle Tennessee. Well thankfully they learned and the heartiest congratulations to the Bulldogs for their fine victories during the playoffs. Smyrna has had a remarkable tunraround and you should be proud of your fine team.

I'm pretty sure most knowledgeable observers understand that neither Smyrna nor Ravenwood are the same teams that played such a close game in week 5. Each team has made incredible progress and stepped their games up several levels.

This Saturday is going to be a game between two exceptionally talented teams who will bring tremendous skill and motivation into the 'boro. One thing I can say for sure is that both the 5A gold and silver balls will find homes in middle Tennessee this year.

No score prediction...no smack talk...just a great game!

There will be openings for the Cookeville & Rhea County spots next season on the Owls schedule. Come down and teach us all about that 4 year quality football program you got. :unsure: Yeah last year you beat a good Oak Ridge team but do you know who else beat them? Yup that’s right the Owls did. Come to Region 2 5A the Beast from the East. Now that’s REAL Football!!!!!! Go Owls! Smyrna please put a sock in the Ravenwood Craptalkers mouth. I BELIEVE Smyrna is the better team. Go Smyrna!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be openings for the Cookeville & Rhea County spots next season on the Owls schedule. Come down and teach us all about that 4 year quality football program you got. :unsure: Yeah last year you beat a good Oak Ridge team but do you know who else beat them? Yup that’s right the Owls did. Come to Region 2 5A the Beast from the East. Now that’s REAL Football!!!!!! Go Owls! Smyrna please put a sock in the Ravenwood Craptalkers mouth. I BELIEVE Smyrna is the better team. Go Smyrna!

Hard to believe that any RATIONAL fan of sports would not be impressed by a team/any team going to a state title game twice in their first four years. Does not matter what you did during the regular season, etc. you don't play in the state championship unless you go undefeated in the playoffs. So, Owl fans, congrats on a great season and ask the Sarge to leave the "sour grapes" at home.

Hard to believe that any RATIONAL fan of sports would not be impressed by a team/any team going to a state title game twice in their first four years. Does not matter what you did during the regular season, etc. you don't play in the state championship unless you go undefeated in the playoffs. So, Owl fans, congrats on a great season and ask the Sarge to leave the "sour grapes" at home.

There are two sides to every story and somewhere in the middle is the Real truth. Thanks for your acknowledgment on the Owls season.

Ravenwood has been blessed the last two seasons but I personally believe that side of the State Bracket is weak.

Keys for the Championship

Region 5-8

Plus

Momentum and confidence for an above average team cruising through a weak bracket.

Negatives

Playing weak opponents will get you beat in a close game.

Region 1-4 wins 2006 64W with 29 teams vs Region 5-8 60W with 32 teams

Friday, 12/01/06

Ravenwood boosters plan post-game party at school

By Charles Booth

Staff Writer

BRENTWOOD - Win or lose, they’ll be partying Saturday night at Ravenwood High School. The Raptors take the field at 7p.m. in Murfreesboro that night for the TSSAA Class 5A championship game against Smyrna, but at 10:30 p.m., fans will converge on the school itself to celebrate a successful season.

“We’re just going to have a celebration for even getting that far two years in a row,” parent volunteer Frank Comer said.

Ravenwood won last year’s state championship game, and they hope to repeat that feat this year.

“We plan on winning, so we’re going to do a sort of celebration,” Comer said

The celebration party will be catered and it is open to the community.

Edited by SergeantOwl22

There are two sides to every story and somewhere in the middle is the Real truth. Thanks for your acknowledgment on the Owls season.

Ravenwood has been blessed the last two seasons but I personally believe that side of the State Bracket is weak.

Region 5-8

Plus

Momentum and confidence for an above average team cruising through a weak bracket.

Negatives

Friday, 12/01/06

Ravenwood boosters plan post-game party at school

By Charles Booth

Staff Writer

BRENTWOOD - Win or lose, they’ll be partying Saturday night at Ravenwood High School. The Raptors take the field at 7p.m. in Murfreesboro that night for the TSSAA Class 5A championship game against Smyrna, but at 10:30 p.m., fans will converge on the school itself to celebrate a successful season.

“We’re just going to have a celebration for even getting that far two years in a row,” parent volunteer Frank Comer said.

Ravenwood won last year’s state championship game, and they hope to repeat that feat this year.

“We plan on winning, so we’re going to do a sort of celebration,” Comer said

The celebration party will be catered and it is open to the community.

The debate about weak region/strong region could go on longer than the public vs private debate so it's not really worth worrying about. Region 6 has been represented in the finals the last 4 straight years(Brentwood, Franklin, Ravenwood, Ravenwood) so its tough to argue against that Regions "toughness".

In response to the piece above, RHS plans to celebrate the success this years team has had. The Owls should have a community celebration too. They had a perfect regular season and made it to the semi's. That's all that Ravenwood is doing...win, lose or draw recognizing the players for their dedication, hard work, accomplishments, etc. etc.

I agree with you 90% but there is a need for 10% good humor. It seems when anyone wants to talk about the team, it goes nowhere fast. I’ve mention this in my previous post.

I would like to discuss the Ravenwood O-Line versus Smyrna D-Line. I know it is fashionable to talk about the skill players and they deserved the attention but games are won in the trenches. If the opposing lines don’t match up well, then RB can’t get through the hole and the QB get rushed or sacked. This is one area Ravenwood excel in.

The O-Line is a beastly bunch and anchor by two excellent tackles that’s handled everything throughout the playoffs. The guards and quick and agile while the center is pitching the ball back to the QB and rarely makes a mistake. They work as a seasoned unit. They will beat on the defense all game. Generally, the defense will start to wear down throughout the game. By the fourth quarter, the O-Line has their way with the defense. How can Smyrna defense match up to this season O-Line of Ravenwood?

Okay So I'm Gonna Talk About The Game, For Once :thumb: . Ravenwood Does Have A Pretty Good O-Line From What I've Seen So Far. Actually They Probably Have One Of The Best Smyrna Has Faced This Year. Smyrna's Weakest Link As Some Might Say Is Their D-Line. While Ravenwoods Line May Be Able To Control Smyrna's Line It Is Not The Bulldogs Line That Makes Plays On Defense. Smyrna's D-Line Pretty Much Takes The Other Teams O-Line Out Of The Picture. What Am I Talking About Your Probably Asking Yourself...? Smyrna Makes It's Plays On Defense From The Linebacker And Defensive Back Positions. As A Matter Of Fact So Far In The Playoffs The Linebackers And D-Backs Have 20 Sacks While The Line Has 5. If Ravenwood Pounds The Ball They May Find A Few Breaks But Will Most Likely Not Win. If The QB Sits In The Pocket To Pass They Can Find Some Holes But The Pressure Will Eventually Cause Problems For Them And They Most Likely Won't Win. The Best Weapon The Raptors Can Have Is A QB Who's Accurrate And Can Scramble. Also If Their Defense Can Cause Turnovers. If They Can Do Those Things It's Gonna Be A Long Game For The Bulldogs. If Not I Would Expect Smyrna To Inch Out Over The Raptors.

Okay So I'm Gonna Talk About The Game, For Once :thumb: . Ravenwood Does Have A Pretty Good O-Line From What I've Seen So Far. Actually They Probably Have One Of The Best Smyrna Has Faced This Year. Smyrna's Weakest Link As Some Might Say Is Their D-Line. While Ravenwoods Line May Be Able To Control Smyrna's Line It Is Not The Bulldogs Line That Makes Plays On Defense. Smyrna's D-Line Pretty Much Takes The Other Teams O-Line Out Of The Picture. What Am I Talking About Your Probably Asking Yourself...? Smyrna Makes It's Plays On Defense From The Linebacker And Defensive Back Positions. As A Matter Of Fact So Far In The Playoffs The Linebackers And D-Backs Have 20 Sacks While The Line Has 5. If Ravenwood Pounds The Ball They May Find A Few Breaks But Will Most Likely Not Win. If The QB Sits In The Pocket To Pass They Can Find Some Holes But The Pressure Will Eventually Cause Problems For Them And They Most Likely Won't Win. The Best Weapon The Raptors Can Have Is A QB Who's Accurrate And Can Scramble. Also If Their Defense Can Cause Turnovers. If They Can Do Those Things It's Gonna Be A Long Game For The Bulldogs. If Not I Would Expect Smyrna To Inch Out Over The Raptors.

So your unbiased opinion is that Ravenwood will "most likely not win"? Also, not sure if you want the majority of your plays made by your LB's and secondary, would seem to indicate that the other team is gaining a lot of yards! I do like the fact that you discussed the game this post!!!!

Region 5-8

Plus

Negatives

Friday, 12/01/06

just like last year when we got beat in a close game against and EAST Tennessee team right? i mean i guess it was a fluke last year and this year, how weird two flukes in a row!? GIVE ME A BREAK. Give credit where credit is due...i know its hard to believe that a program in its 4th year of varsity play has already one STATE TITLE and is plyaing for another tomorow night, but you know what? ITS TRUE!

Well My Opinion Isn't Completley Unbiased... :lol:

Yeah We Can Give Up Some Yards But As Long As They Bend And Don't Break They'll Be Ok. I'm Gonna Be Honest I'm Predicting A Huge Defensive Battle Back And Forth. I'll Bet Only One Team Scores More Than 14. Whoever Has The Ball Last Will Probably Have A Great Chance To Win Too. I Can't Wait Only 27 Hours To Go! :lol:

I agree with you 90% but there is a need for 10% good humor. It seems when anyone wants to talk about the team, it goes nowhere fast. I’ve mention this in my previous post.

I would like to discuss the Ravenwood O-Line versus Smyrna D-Line. I know it is fashionable to talk about the skill players and they deserved the attention but games are won in the trenches. If the opposing lines don’t match up well, then RB can’t get through the hole and the QB get rushed or sacked. This is one area Ravenwood excel in.

The O-Line is a beastly bunch and anchor by two excellent tackles that’s handled everything throughout the playoffs. The guards and quick and agile while the center is pitching the ball back to the QB and rarely makes a mistake. They work as a seasoned unit. They will beat on the defense all game. Generally, the defense will start to wear down throughout the game. By the fourth quarter, the O-Line has their way with the defense. How can Smyrna defense match up to this season O-Line of Ravenwood?

Well Smyrna has made major adjustments to the D-line. They put more guys up front and you will see new faces or guys in new places on the D-line. So far it has worked out fine.

The job Ravenwood's two tackles did in the Antioch game against Buchanan and McAdoo was impressive. You won't see a more athletic pair of ends than those two guys and Ravenwood's OT's were phenominal in that game, which was a great game of ebb and flow, much like the Ooltewah- Smyrna game. Smyrna does lack playmakers on the D-Line, but with guys like Shadrake holding down the middle and my homeboy Josh Day coming off the edge like Shawne Merriman, their back 7 plays some really good football.

The more I analyze this game, the more I think this will be a classic football game. These two teams are pretty evenly matched, but I'm going to go with the theory that it is hard to beat a good team twice. The thing that makes me feel good about this theory is that the team that I think will win the revenge game has a QB that has started about 30 games in his career. Becker is a FANTASTIC QB (I mean really good), but I saw something in Sonny's eyes last week that I just love about him. The way he got his team into the right plays, got the ball to the open guy, and just looked like the coolest, calmest guy out there was amazing.

Smyrna 28

Ravenwood 24

This game could come down to which Coach better prepares his team for these type games. Last year, Ravenwood Coach Rector was not getting any respect. He proved a point last year and so far this year. We Believe! Coach Rector will prove this point again in the championship. Just watch the master work.

Gallatin

Antioch

Hunters Lane

White Station

Smyrna