Fulton vs. David Lipscomb

HolySnap

Hey Snap.

Don't know about that comfort zone bud.

Played a tough Wing T team. Check.

The staff makes good adjustments. Check.

Playing for KWalker. Check.

They have athletes. Check.

Balanced Run vs. Pass. ??? Screens. Yes. Stretch the field? No.

Rogan not getting Mr. Football. His teamates may play harder for him because of that. But he will play the same no matter what. He is a tough & classy competitor.

I honestly believe that this game can go either way. DL is very much like Catholic. They are tough, fly to the ball, well coached, physical, hard nosed, etc. Fulton better not go out there thinking that they are playing some privilaged bunch of patsies. They better go out there ready for a knock down, drag out, fight like they had with Catholic twice, and Alcoa once. If they don't, they will get their heads handed to them. The skill players (DB/WR, and especially the RB/LBs are very much like Catholic's. The OL/DL are also simmilar. DL's Gaurds are very good, and as go those Guards, will go that offense.

I just don't feel a 38-17 Final. I feel something more like a 20 to 14 with Fulton going 1/3 on 2 pt PATs. Rmember, if it goes down like that, a 21 to 20 in the other direction is possible. I am telling you, DL can beat Futlon.

Congratulations to the entire Fulton Football Family. You too Mr. Snap, fultonfalcon06, Road2Three, and the rest of you Fulton posters. This one went down about like I thought it would.

Congratulations to Dennis Rogan on not only a great game, but a great season, and a great career. Now that you have the ACT behind you, take care of the rest of your business, and become NEXT @ TB @ UT.

Congratulations to Antonio Hammilton. You Sir are a SEC level NG/DT. You have some gifts and I hope you are able to fully utilize and benefit from them.

Congatulations to all you other Falcon Football players....Winters, Gildner, Freeney, Wiley-Gatewood, Higgins, Mathis, Cobb, Hmphrey(s), Minor, Stinson, Smith, Stokes,Reilly, Kennedy.

Congratulations to all you coaches who seemed to handle a bunch of difficult situations this year with class, dignity, and respect. It showed a number of times on the field when the character foundation you helped build was threatened by those that perceived these young men to be something other than what they were: Classy. Dignified. Respectful. Good job.

Congratulations to David Limpscomb on a fine year, and a hard fought game.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Lipscomb was "overmatched". They played right with Fulton. The self-inflicted fumble before the half KILLED Lipscomb, and it was the deciding play in the game in my view. You take that one play out and the game changes. Give credit to Fulton, they made Lipscomb pay big-time, and that's what great teams do. Also, the phantom "block in the back" on that huge pass play to Elrod that was called back was a killer too. Fulton was extremely talented, they are a great team with several D-1 prospects, Rogan is a machine, but I didn't see Lipscomb overmatched. They played a tough game against an outstanding Fulton team.

[/quo

John005

It's over now.

Is there anything else you would like to whine about?

I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't even know which plays you guys are supposed to be commenting or whining about, but I can never resist an opportunity to comment on the "new" "blocking" rules. I am definitely old school on that subject. "New" is in quotation marks because the rule has been around on all levels of football now for about 15 years. "Blocking" is in quotation marks because what goes on along the lines in football games today is more akin to "shoving" than to blocking.

Under the "old" rules, open hands could not be used in blocking. Linemen who were blocking were taught to "fire out," to "stay low" and to "drive" the opponent back and to turn him. Today's linemen often do not even get down in a stance, are taught to extend the arms, engage the opponent (which is a polite way of saying "get your hands on him and keep them there"), and let him turn himself in the direction he wants to go. Holding is not to be called (in theory) unless the hands of the blocker get outside his own body--and it practice, it is called only when a defender is wrestled down or grabbed by the jersey and held.

This has really changed the game of football. It has led to more scoring (which most people seem to like), to inflated rushing figures (since defenders can now legally be held without being "held), and to spread offenses and "basketball on grass" in many college conferences, since pass rushers can now be "engaged" by the shoulder pads, the jersey, shoved down and literaly tackled by offensive linemen, giving much more time to throw the ball.

Holding was formerly called primarily by the umpire, whose position allowed him to see the interior line play. If he saw hands on an opponent, he called holding (sometimes). Today, the umpires' job is hopeless--all the offensive linemen have their hands on their opponents. It's legal. Are they inside the plane of the body? Are they open or closed? No human can make those judgments accurately given the speed and angles. So? No calls are made.

Instead, holding calls are now made by the head linesmen and field judges. They are called against wideouts who "engage" corners and safeties for long periods of time, but this takes place out in the open where it is much easier to see. What goes on between the tackles is largely ignored.

The "new" blocking rules have affected the kinds of players needed to play offensive line. It is now the "Age of the LardButts"--by design. Look the college and pro offensive linemen. They are easy to spot: they are the ones with their guts hanging over their belts. Since the linemen do not have to get low, do not have to move forward quickly, and are mainly meant to be obstacles with arms, width matters more than quickness, arm length matters more than ability drive into the opponent. A good offensive linemen has become someone who is a good impediment, something hard to get around, a good offensive lineman is often someone who can absorb a good blow instead of delivering one. High school linemen are now often 260 plus pounds, college and pros have pretty well set the bar at 300 pounds or more. What these guys will look like when they are 30 years old is not a pretty thing to imagine.

Do the "new" blocking rules cut down on injuries? On the contrary, linemen who are standing up, often with knees locked, are easier targets to be knocked down, hit in the knee area from the side, or shoved down than in years past. Plus, we are talking here about larger players, often made so by steroids and supplements, players who musculature (and fat layers) have increased in size much more than the bones which are supposed ot support them.

If anyone wants to compare and contrast the old and the new, take a look at some of the "Football Classics" being rerun on ESPN. Look at the Tennessee or Notre Dame lines of the late 1980's and early 1990's. You'll see the triumph of speed, desire, and athleticism over bulk. You WILL notice the difference.

I don't think Lipscomb was "overmatched". They played right with Fulton. The self-inflicted fumble before the half KILLED Lipscomb, and it was the deciding play in the game in my view. You take that one play out and the game changes. Give credit to Fulton, they made Lipscomb pay big-time, and that's what great teams do. Also, the phantom "block in the back" on that huge pass play to Elrod that was called back was a killer too. Fulton was extremely talented, they are a great team with several D-1 prospects, Rogan is a machine, but I didn't see Lipscomb overmatched. They played a tough game against an outstanding Fulton team.

I dont think 'overmatched ' is the word .. the first half Lipscomb was playing hard and competing .. Fulton moved the ball but shot them selves in foot with fumble and penalties that killed 3 drives .. thye had the ball into Lipscomb territory 3 times in 1st half ... the fumble was a momentum swing to Fulton for sure but deciding factor .. give me a break .. its still 1st half .. second half adjustments hadnt even been made ..I thought it was a stupid statement when the Lipscomb coach said it in his post game comments .. it did give Fulton momentum going into 2nd half .. as far as block in the back on Elrods run ..it was right out in the open plain as day .. it hurt Lipscomb but not any worse than Fulton's holding call in 1st Qtr hurt .. also lets talk about the completetion to Tyson at the 2 yard line that was ruled incomplete after officials got together and talked for awhile ..bearing in mind none of them came in waving arms signaling incomplete ..How did they decide incomplete when not one of them initially signaled incomplete ... they blew it there and cost Fulton 8 points ... but the deciding factor came in 2nd half when Fulton just said here ya go we are gonna line in power formation and run it right here off tackle stop us if you can ... and it was evident that Lipscomb was getting it handed to them in the trenches and couldnt match the smash mouth football that Fulton as giving them .. I give them credit for effort and toughness .. they are a well coached and diciplined and tought team but they met one that just tougher ... good luck to all .. but lets not get into false statements that a 1st half fumble decided the game ... GIVE ME A BREAK !!! You could see the players from Lipscomb getting their heads down when they couldnt stop the power of Fulton ..... they knew they were getting a whipping !!!

I dont think 'overmatched ' is the word .. the first half Lipscomb was playing hard and competing .. Fulton moved the ball but shot them selves in foot with fumble and penalties that killed 3 drives .. thye had the ball into Lipscomb territory 3 times in 1st half ... the fumble was a momentum swing to Fulton for sure but deciding factor .. give me a break .. its still 1st half .. second half adjustments hadnt even been made ..I thought it was a stupid statement when the Lipscomb coach said it in his post game comments .. it did give Fulton momentum going into 2nd half .. as far as block in the back on Elrods run ..it was right out in the open plain as day .. it hurt Lipscomb but not any worse than Fulton's holding call in 1st Qtr hurt .. also lets talk about the completetion to Tyson at the 2 yard line that was ruled incomplete after officials got together and talked for awhile ..bearing in mind none of them came in waving arms signaling incomplete ..How did they decide incomplete when not one of them initially signaled incomplete ... they blew it there and cost Fulton 8 points ... but the deciding factor came in 2nd half when Fulton just said here ya go we are gonna line in power formation and run it right here off tackle stop us if you can ... and it was evident that Lipscomb was getting it handed to them in the trenches and couldnt match the smash mouth football that Fulton as giving them .. I give them credit for effort and toughness .. they are a well coached and diciplined and tought team but they met one that just tougher ... good luck to all .. but lets not get into false statements that a 1st half fumble decided the game ... GIVE ME A BREAK !!! You could see the players from Lipscomb getting their heads down when they couldnt stop the power of Fulton ..... they knew they were getting a whipping !!!

Tadvols.

It's over.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and don't even know which plays you guys are supposed to be commenting or whining about, but I can never resist an opportunity to comment on the "new" "blocking" rules. I am definitely old school on that subject. "New" is in quotation marks because the rule has been around on all levels of football now for about 15 years. "Blocking" is in quotation marks because what goes on along the lines in football games today is more akin to "shoving" than to blocking.

Under the "old" rules, open hands could not be used in blocking. Linemen who were blocking were taught to "fire out," to "stay low" and to "drive" the opponent back and to turn him. Today's linemen often do not even get down in a stance, are taught to extend the arms, engage the opponent (which is a polite way of saying "get your hands on him and keep them there"), and let him turn himself in the direction he wants to go. Holding is not to be called (in theory) unless the hands of the blocker get outside his own body--and it practice, it is called only when a defender is wrestled down or grabbed by the jersey and held.

This has really changed the game of football. It has led to more scoring (which most people seem to like), to inflated rushing figures (since defenders can now legally be held without being "held), and to spread offenses and "basketball on grass" in many college conferences, since pass rushers can now be "engaged" by the shoulder pads, the jersey, shoved down and literaly tackled by offensive linemen, giving much more time to throw the ball.

Holding was formerly called primarily by the umpire, whose position allowed him to see the interior line play. If he saw hands on an opponent, he called holding (sometimes). Today, the umpires' job is hopeless--all the offensive linemen have their hands on their opponents. It's legal. Are they inside the plane of the body? Are they open or closed? No human can make those judgments accurately given the speed and angles. So? No calls are made.

Instead, holding calls are now made by the head linesmen and field judges. They are called against wideouts who "engage" corners and safeties for long periods of time, but this takes place out in the open where it is much easier to see. What goes on between the tackles is largely ignored.

The "new" blocking rules have affected the kinds of players needed to play offensive line. It is now the "Age of the LardButts"--by design. Look the college and pro offensive linemen. They are easy to spot: they are the ones with their guts hanging over their belts. Since the linemen do not have to get low, do not have to move forward quickly, and are mainly meant to be obstacles with arms, width matters more than quickness, arm length matters more than ability drive into the opponent. A good offensive linemen has become someone who is a good impediment, something hard to get around, a good offensive lineman is often someone who can absorb a good blow instead of delivering one. High school linemen are now often 260 plus pounds, college and pros have pretty well set the bar at 300 pounds or more. What these guys will look like when they are 30 years old is not a pretty thing to imagine.

Do the "new" blocking rules cut down on injuries? On the contrary, linemen who are standing up, often with knees locked, are easier targets to be knocked down, hit in the knee area from the side, or shoved down than in years past. Plus, we are talking here about larger players, often made so by steroids and supplements, players who musculature (and fat layers) have increased in size much more than the bones which are supposed ot support them.

If anyone wants to compare and contrast the old and the new, take a look at some of the "Football Classics" being rerun on ESPN. Look at the Tennessee or Notre Dame lines of the late 1980's and early 1990's. You'll see the triumph of speed, desire, and athleticism over bulk. You WILL notice the difference.

I hope this post was meant as a joke, because it lacked any knowledge of things happen at the line of scrimmage. Now I want you to go back like you said to these old films and watch these lineman. Now watch a film from today and you will see that todays "lardbutts" on the whole are much more athletic than there skinny counterparts. That is what makes them amazing. And if you think that offensive lineman are not required to fire off the line of scrimmage,you have haven't paid very close attention. I'm also not sure if you noticed that defensive lineman are also getting much larger and quicker. Now I would be interested in seeing anyone in the world pass block these quick defensive lineman without using their hands, o-lineman are having a hard enough time when they are using their hands. As for your theory that offensive lineman are obstacles with arms, you are right, just like offensive lineman before them were obstacles with arms. Sometime just for fun watch an offensive lineman for a few plays in a row. You will see them: take on a bull rush, try to stop a d end from turning the corner to the quarterback, take on a defensive tackle on 3rd and short, try to cut off a linebacker on the backside, get out in front of the runningback on a screen, pull and trap. I am guessing you were joking but I want to make sure others know just how athletic some of these "lardbutts" really are!!

It seems that some people (John005) want to make excuses for a loss. I thought Lipscomb played a great game. They truly have some talented athletes. Fulton just seemed to have a few more. Great season to both! Don't ruin the success of either team by whining.

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I said was accurate, not excuses. If you did not think that fumble was the game-changer, I'm not sure what game you watched. That's just a fact. I'm not a Lipscomb fan. You just don't like my view of the game, and that's fine. :thumb:

What I said was accurate, not excuses. If you did not think that fumble was the game-changer, I'm not sure what game you watched. That's just a fact. I'm not a Lipscomb fan. You just don't like my view of the game, and that's fine. :thumb:

John005.

It was a momentum changer. No doubt. There were others for both teams. Tenpenny run(s). The long pass for a TD over the Humphrey kid. Elrod long run. "Game changer" is an overly used term. It more accurately desrcibes a play that defines the final score, and not a score(s) within the game. Bironas 60 yds FG yesterday for the Titans would be a "game changer." Good luck this off season. DL has not only a fine team, but a fine program, and I am sure they will challenge for the Championship in 07.

You concede above that the fumble was a "momentum swing" and that's enough for me. I happen to think it was THE play of the game, and I'm not without good cause to think that. You know what happens if Lipscomb doesn't fumble there. As far as calling my opinion "false statements", I think that's just being a nay-sayer when I made a good point.

John005.

It was a momentum changer. No doubt. There were others for both teams. Tenpenny run(s). The long pass for a TD over the Humphrey kid. Elrod long run. "Game changer" is an overly used term. It more accurately desrcibes a play that defines the final score, and not a score(s) within the game. Bironas 60 yds FG yesterday for the Titans would be a "game changer." Good luck this off season. DL has not only a fine team, but a fine program, and I am sure they will challenge for the Championship in 07.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

You concede above that the fumble was a "momentum swing" and that's enough for me. I happen to think it was THE play of the game, and I'm not without good cause to think that. You know what happens if Lipscomb doesn't fumble there. As far as calling my opinion "false statements", I think that's just being a nay-sayer when I made a good point.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

You guys are about half goofy ... yea I said it was a momentum swing ..thats all it was ..did it cost the game NO ... it wasnt even halftime yet ... halftime adjustments had not even been made ... you want to say momentum swing .. the catch being called incomplete should have made it 24 - 8 and then we pound it down your throat and it would have benn 32 - 8 .. then you guys score 32 -14 .. we drive it down your throat again and take a knee at the 7 yard line or it could have been 40 -14 .... just admit it .. you guys just got whipped in 2nd half ..yea you played and good 1st half and it was a stalemate till the fumble ..we had the ball inside Lipscombs 30 yard line 3 times in the first half and we fumble and trow 2 interceptions ... those were momentum changes too to DL ..... momentum changes back and forth in games .. and you are saying to me that just because DL fumbles in the first half that it cost you the game ... well Im glad you werent on any team I ever played on with that attitude ... something goes wrong in the first half and you are done ... you concede the game because of a momentum swing ..... again just face it ... DL got pounded in the second half ... look at the play by play chart in the stats on the tssaa.org website ..... let it go ..you got beat by a better team that physically just whipped you ....