Mr. Football Awards This week

CHS 2007

bold predictions:

1A lineman: Mitchell from Friendship

1A back: Dailey, Mt. Pleasant

2A lineman: Donald, Huntingdon (but Sykes had better season)

2A back: Shiverdecker, Alcoa

3A lineman: Watkins, Haywood

3A back: Rogan, Fulton

4A lineman: Douglas, Maryville

4A back: Maples, Maryville

5A lineman: Marve, White Station

5A back: Thomas, Riverdale

D-II A/AA lineman

Kirby-Jones, Webb

Back:

Golden Tate, Pope John Paul II

D-II lineman

Walker, Christian Brothers

II-AAA back

B.J. Coleman, McCallie

Kicker

Jasper, Ridgeway

Andre Sterlin from Farragut for best back i think. i assume an Ooltewah person will come on here and say that Marshall deserves to be up for it instead of Sterling but oh well. i dont know much about the other people up for the award. so i say Sterling because he basically carried Farragut all year.

if crawford doesnt get hurt and plays more than 7 regular season games he has at least 1800 yards and wins it in a runaway. the kid had about as many as sterling in 2 less games and he was out of the ones he played in early bc of the lopsided scores...personally i think thomas wins it (not to say hes not deseriving, but its the riverdale factor) but if aaron didnt get hurt its his no question.

also dont htink marve gets it for lineman ive got to go with cathey on this one...20 sacks just doesnt happen too often in high school football...that lb corps at wshs is waaaaaaaay overrated and it really showed in the ravenwood game...Rwood moved the ball at will against the "best lb corps in the state"

Edited by rhsplaya55

But these awards were voted on right at the end of the regular season and before the playoffs started. I will agree that the sacks are impressive but I have watched both play and they are both very good. Marve had 96 solo tackles and assisted on 30 + more. It could have went either way.

The Crawford selection was a no brainer for anyone paying attention. But he really got this award with what he did last year. It made everyone pay attention to what he was doing this year.

But these awards were voted on right at the end of the regular season and before the playoffs started. I will agree that the sacks are impressive but I have watched both play and they are both very good. Marve had 96 solo tackles and assisted on 30 + more. It could have went either way.

The Crawford selection was a no brainer for anyone paying attention. But he really got this award with what he did last year. It made everyone pay attention to what he was doing this year.

I agree that last year may have helped Aaron a little,but if I'am not mistaken his numbers was close to the others even with missing 3 games.I wish Ridgeway could have had the sweep but at least Memphis got the sweep.

if crawford doesnt get hurt and plays more than 7 regular season games he has at least 1800 yards and wins it in a runaway. the kid had about as many as sterling in 2 less games and he was out of the ones he played in early bc of the lopsided scores...personally i think thomas wins it (not to say hes not deseriving, but its the riverdale factor) but if aaron didnt get hurt its his no question.

also dont htink marve gets it for lineman ive got to go with cathey on this one...20 sacks just doesnt happen too often in high school football...that lb corps at wshs is waaaaaaaay overrated and it really showed in the ravenwood game...Rwood moved the ball at will against the "best lb corps in the state"

I don't think White Station's linebacker corps was way overrated. All four of their main linebackers had speed, strength, and made winning plays in some of White Station's biggest wins and they enjoyed one of their best years if not the best for the football program.

Furthermore, the Ravenwood game happened in the state semi-finals, so just because the defending state champions who happened to beat arguably the state's best team and defense in the first round of the playoffs (and moved it at will against them too), doesn't mean your are overrated or indicates that you are. That just shows that Ravenwood proved they were the better team and that's why their defending their title on Saturday.

Also, 20 sacks can happen often in high school football when you consider that most high school programs don't have many great offensive lineman. It doesn't happen much in Tennessee HS football cause a number of teams still don't throw the ball more than 5-6 times a game. Not short changing Dasmine, just saying that 20 sacks in a season is easier to do in high school than the next two levels of football given their level of competition.

Also, 20 sacks can happen often in high school football when you consider that most high school programs don't have many great offensive lineman. It doesn't happen much in Tennessee HS football cause a number of teams still don't throw the ball more than 5-6 times a game. Not short changing Dasmine, just saying that 20 sacks in a season is easier to do in high school than the next two levels of football given their level of competition.

Well I mean we are playing in TN and (especially in our region) no one ever threw the ball so that made getting sacks even more difficult...I'm sure Marve is a great player and wish him luck at Vandy, but I was just syaing from what I saw this year Dasmine should have won it.

Why are these not done after the state championship games. Does not a mister football take his team all the way?

because it will give an unfair advantage to the kids whose teams play deeper into the playoffs (add more stats, more exposure, etc.) and if a kid has an outstanding year, but his team is not necessarily successful, then he will not have the same advantage.