Union City vs. Humboldt

VikingFan9

I went to the Central girl's game..Gosnell was terrible ...Central has a beautiful gym...Then I went to U.C...I believe U.C. is better than last years team overall..Very quick and several good shooters..Even have a Weddle wannabe..But he is pretty good..Looked like he had good range...Humboldt has a good team also..They looked good in spurts...These are two of the best teams in the state..no doubt..It seemed whenever Humboldt would get close they would turn the ball over and lead to a lot of quick points by U.C.Humbolt had about 30 + turnovers..Based on what I saw tonight..I'd say U.C. would be the frontrunner for the top spot..but that's not to say Lake Co won't beat them or Humboldt ,the next time they meet..But..a team can't make lazy passes or loaf down the floor against U.C...Teams had better come and be prepared to play hard the whole game and make good passes or the best teams in the state could get blown out!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I know one thing. Union City game plan is to run you to your legs fall off. Humboldt is very good and has some dunkers, but when the 3's are raining down trading 3 for 2 or 2 for 3 doesn't work. Union City is in such GREAT physical shape and listens well to their coach.

Humboldt had at least 10 dunks in the game but the score after the first Quarter,

Union City 28

Humboldt 14 or 16 I think.

Then Union City only manage to score 16 points in the 2nd quarter.

Union City will be tough for anyone locally and even state wide to run with the Tornadoes.

If they have a little luck and get in a better half court press and some better freethrows, they will be hard to handle.

Union City has a very good team, they are quick just like last year. The thing that got humboldt tonight was that we turned the ball over (due to the press) just making bad passes mainly, and then free throw shooting. im looking forward to the game in humboldt. And i think you are right about the laying down part. there towards the end they just did not want to try and break down the press and started making bad passes and trying to dribble through 3 defenders.

Edited by VikingFan9

From what I hear, Springer didn't play, & the game was close until midway through the 4th. My friend who went said Dresden is definitely capable of beating LC.

I'm just hoping we win..I believe we will struggle a few games until probably after Christmas..If we could get the win without Springer playing..the football players not in basketball mode yet..and at Dresden..I would feel pretty good!

From what I hear, Springer didn't play, & the game was close until midway through the 4th. My friend who went said Dresden is definitely capable of beating LC.

Did Lake Co win?By reading your comments... .... you said it was close until the middle of the 4th..Was the game still going on and your friend is going to get back in touch or did Lake Co pull away at the end and your friend is saying Dresden is capable of beating Lake Co..Dresden beat Northside and I believe Westview..so I'm sure they're capable..But..if we won without Springer..and at Dresden..I feel pretty good when they come to Lake Co with everyone being ready.

Union City has a very good team, they are quick just like last year. The thing that got humboldt tonight was that we turned the ball over (due to the press) just making bad passes mainly, and then free throw shooting. im looking forward to the game in humboldt. And i think you are right about the laying down part. there towards the end they just did not want to try and break down the press and started making bad passes and trying to dribble through 3 defenders.

You're right Viking..Humboldt looked terrible shooting free throws..But I did see flashes of what they could do..after Epperson and Co get the football out of them and in the flow..Humboldt will be a tough team to handle..And U.C. seems to be the real deal again..I believe our district is going to be tougher from top to bottom this year..

Did Lake Co win?By reading your comments... .... you said it was close until the middle of the 4th..Was the game still going on and your friend is going to get back in touch or did Lake Co pull away at the end and your friend is saying Dresden is capable of beating Lake Co..Dresden beat Northside and I believe Westview..so I'm sure they're capable..But..if we won without Springer..and at Dresden..I feel pretty good when they come to Lake Co with everyone being ready.

Yes, LC won. He said LC pulled away towards the end.

I won't even speak on the officiating tonight...It didn't cost Humboldt the game because it went both ways, but it was horrible...They weren't consistent at all...Sometimes they'd let them play, then they'd call the weakest of fouls...No excuses here though, UC is the real deal..

Here's another thing too....Humboldt is the real deal as well....They have guards as people can see...Chauncey Hunt (#23) will continue to improve as he gets the football out of him, and the younger players will continue to mature...I didn't expect this team to be at top form until around Christmas...Tonight, they showed what they're capable of and then they showed they're youth and inexperience...They made some passes that even I wouldn't have made...UC has a decent press, but I don't think it's anything Humbodlt can't hande for 4 quarters if they focus and play smart basketball...I expect a much different game January 12th...

Everyone in the gym saw the potential of this team....They just have to understand that to break a press, you have to pass the ball, and not try to dribble through it...If they get it together, Humboldt has the potential to be the top team in this district...You see how athletic the big men are and what they can do...Humboldt has all the tools...Of course they miss Toylon Smith, who wouldn't...

Just be ready...You won't see the same team January 12th that you played tonight...This team will be focused and out to prove something now that they've been brought back to reality...

MJ Brown is much improved...He's not the scorer he could be yet...I say, give it a year...But his all around game is impressive...

Good game to UC tonight, we'll see ya Jan. 12

For one thing the officiating wasn't that bad...I never was thinking about the officials more than the game....When you have the athletes the caliber of these two teams and the style of play that was being played,officials are going to have a hard time keeping up..The officiating was ok...Humboldt probably even shot more free throws..You just got to hit better than 42%.....

Humboldt's guards are lacking and they miss the senior leadership of a Toylon Smith....This is painfully obvious....They made bad or lazy passes BECAUSE of the press...And because they got TIRED at the end...If they don't get this problem corrected,they have no shot at beating Union City....

I saw bigster's post saying UC had a Weddle "wannabe"...I hope that is not directed towards MJ Brown...He is not a Weddle "wannabe"....He has improved his game greatly over the summer..That is a diss towards whoever bigster directed that too....

Humboldt didn't match Union City's intensity for four quarters...Union City came out ready to play...Humboldt calmed down a bit in the second quarter and had a run..I was surprised by the fact that it wasn't a game of more runs...I kept standing there waiting for another run by the Vikings and they never made it...I have been saying that this Union City teams seems very focused and they play very hard and very intense....Union City again showed a post weakness,but they overcame it by a dominating press...Humboldt had 32 turnovers in the game...Something to think about,Union City didn't shoot particularly well...They hit on only nine three point shots.....I have also been saying that this Union City team may be better than the state championship team...I still think that....

Edited by backinthaoc

For one thing the officiating wasn't that bad...I never was thinking about the officials more than the game....When you have the athletes the caliber of these two teams and the style of play that was being played,officials are going to have a hard time keeping up..The officiating was ok...Humboldt probably even shot more free throws..You just got to hit better than 42%.....

Humboldt's guards are lacking and they miss the senior leadership of a Toylon Smith....This is painfully obvious....They made bad or lazy passes BECAUSE of the press...And because they got TIRED at the end...If they don't get this problem corrected,they have no shot at beating Union City....

I saw bigster's post saying UC had a Weddle "wannabe"...I hope that is not directed towards MJ Brown...He is not a Weddle "wannabe"....He has improved his game greatly over the summer..That is a diss towards whoever bigster directed that too....

Humboldt didn't match Union City's intensity for four quarters...Union City came out ready to play...Humboldt calmed down a bit in the second quarter and had a run..I was surprised by the fact that it wasn't a game of more runs...I kept standing there waiting for another run by the Vikings and they never made it...I have been saying that this Union City teams seems very focused and they play very hard and very intense....Union City again showed a post weakness,but they overcame it by a dominating press...Humboldt had 32 turnovers in the game...Something to think about,Union City didn't shoot particularly well...They hit on only nine three point shots.....I have also been saying that this Union City team may be better than the state championship team...I still think that....

It wasn't..Brown looked smooth..One of the best ball players in the area..if not the best..I was talking about #4 with the head band...white shoes...But he does have range..U.C. is the real deal..Anybody that plays them had better bring their A game or it could be a blow out!

It wasn't..Brown looked smooth..One of the best ball players in the area..if not the best..I was talking about #4 with the head band...white shoes...But he does have range..U.C. is the real deal..Anybody that plays them had better bring their A game or it could be a blow out!

Sorry if you think that's dissing someone..Everyone else with black shoes..He is a good player though..!

I won't even speak on the officiating tonight...It didn't cost Humboldt the game because it went both ways, but it was horrible...They weren't consistent at all...Sometimes they'd let them play, then they'd call the weakest of fouls...No excuses here though, UC is the real deal..

Here's another thing too....Humboldt is the real deal as well....They have guards as people can see...Chauncey Hunt (#23) will continue to improve as he gets the football out of him, and the younger players will continue to mature...I didn't expect this team to be at top form until around Christmas...Tonight, they showed what they're capable of and then they showed they're youth and inexperience...They made some passes that even I wouldn't have made...UC has a decent press, but I don't think it's anything Humbodlt can't hande for 4 quarters if they focus and play smart basketball...I expect a much different game January 12th...

Everyone in the gym saw the potential of this team....They just have to understand that to break a press, you have to pass the ball, and not try to dribble through it...If they get it together, Humboldt has the potential to be the top team in this district...You see how athletic the big men are and what they can do...Humboldt has all the tools...Of course they miss Toylon Smith, who wouldn't...

Just be ready...You won't see the same team January 12th that you played tonight...This team will be focused and out to prove something now that they've been brought back to reality...

MJ Brown is much improved...He's not the scorer he could be yet...I say, give it a year...But his all around game is impressive...

Good game to UC tonight, we'll see ya Jan. 12

U.C. looks to be just as good ,if not better..And the intensity probably comes from the coachthe way he rants..Sisco does work hard..He's fun to watch..He hollers at his team..pats them on the back..Cries all night long...pats the officials after he makes his point..Does a good job..I bet I heard him say..toward the crowd..Can you believe that call?Unbelieveable at least 7 times..All U.C. needs is a crying towel for Sisco and they will have the total package!