Defending State Champions

NeWbLuE

Do teams that win the State Championship the prior year have a big bullseye on them? I've noticed Forrest (A) has started the season with more losses than wins. Thats tough, does the stress of winning following a great season and having that stigma of Champion make it harder to win games the next season.

Anyone have thoughts .... or know about last yrs AA or AAA winners. Any repeat Champions out there? Shelbyville comes to mind.

Do teams that win the State Championship the prior year have a big bullseye on them? I've noticed Forrest (A) has started the season with more losses than wins. Thats tough, does the stress of winning following a great season and having that stigma of Champion make it harder to win games the next season.

Anyone have thoughts .... or know about last yrs AA or AAA winners. Any repeat Champions out there? Shelbyville comes to mind.

Forrest has just played a tough schedule and has not got it rolling yet. They have losses to Harpeth, LCHS, and Moore County, all of which are good teams. They simply have to turn things around and continue to get better. A visit to Summertown this weekend will probably not help. They are still the favorite to win their District and Region. Good luck to Chapel Hill. B)

And at least they are playing good teams. Some of the so-called best teams in the state have guaranteed 30 win seasons with the weak schedules they play.

It seems to me that Forrest is struggling to find an identity this early in the season. The Lady Rockets lost three key players from last year's sqaud: Casey Dowler, Kaitlin Moses, Jessica Floyd, and second leading rebounder and inside force Terri Slater. Coach Reasonover stated that these girls were the glue that kept the team together in the locker room. There are leaders on the team now; most notably Blair Foster, Gaby Bussell, and Kalah Mathis who are beginning to step up to the role. The brutal early season schedule has not helped their won-lost record, but I am sure they will be one of the most seasoned teams in the state come tournament time. They open up district play Friday night against F.C. Boyd before they make the trip toSummertown. Don't count these ladies out just yet, they may have lost a few battles early, but in the end they may win the war!

It seems to me that Forrest is struggling to find an identity this early in the season. The Lady Rockets lost three key players from last year's sqaud: Casey Dowler, Kaitlin Moses, Jessica Floyd, and second leading rebounder and inside force Terri Slater. Coach Reasonover stated that these girls were the glue that kept the team together in the locker room. There are leaders on the team now; most notably Blair Foster, Gaby Bussell, and Kalah Mathis who are beginning to step up to the role. The brutal early season schedule has not helped their won-lost record, but I am sure they will be one of the most seasoned teams in the state come tournament time. They open up district play Friday night against F.C. Boyd before they make the trip toSummertown. Don't count these ladies out just yet, they may have lost a few battles early, but in the end they may win the war!

I've got to see a couple of Forrest's games, FRA and Moore Co, we said over and over that last year we won because of good teamwork not two or three all stars. I do believe the team is stronger and deeper, the seniors last year brought a lot of intangibles to the court that don't show up on paper. It's still a great group of girls and It was after Christmas that the team came together last season. I Have Faith!

I think there is certainly an effect on the State Champions in the year following their championship. Every team wants to beat them, we know that, and I think these teams come into the games "fired" up. When you are number 1 everyone wants to knock you off that pedestal..... that is sports and that is great, not the getting knocked off part :thumb: .....but the desire to play hard and win...... learning a life's lesson in the process.... can't always be number 1. I also think there is pressure on the girls to "perform" up to the standards they set by winning a championship, not necessarily from anyone but themselves. All in all what a ride.....one all of us in Chapel Hill won't forget any time soon, and certainly hope to enjoy again!!! So in a message to our girls.....We love you, we're proud of you and we know it's tough some nights, but you light up our lives...THANK YOU....... Go Lady Rockets!!!!!

Edited by auntkim