Maryville playing out of the state

chief15

I am originally from Loudon but I am currently serving in the Air Force in Texas and I am posting this from watching high school football in many states across the U.S. Texas is by far producing the best teams I have ever SEEN and they get so much respect because they play a lot of top ranked national teams from every state. Maryville has got a good strong team and if they wanted to hit the next level (national respect) they are going to have to play some power houses outside the state. I was at the game Friday (Maryville vs Mo West) and what I see from them is great and I love watching them play. But they would have an awful time with a team from Dallas called Southlake Carroll. I don't even think they could make the first half interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love my east Tenn football but Southlake Carroll is so big up front and physical plus they have receivers that can attack you vertically and on the short routes (not to mention Nate Newton's son at tailback who is a beast). Maryville could score on them some but Southlake would score everytime they had the ball. I wish the east Tenn football fans could watch this team play. I have never seen anything like them at high school level.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure you are right about Maryville not being competitive with some of the best Texas teams. Also, as a Maryville fan, I would like to see them play some big teams from other states. However, I don't think that is the goal of the program, and I don't know that it should be the goal of the program to gain "National Respect." If it were the desire of the program to do that, I'm sure that Quarles is the perfect coach for taking Maryville "to the next level." As it stands now, I think everybody is fine to just be the best in the state.

Well thats fine if that is their goal, but why wouldn't you want to get your team on the map nationally? Just think if Maryville beat a couple of powerhouses they could end up getting kids from outside the state to come to Maryville because their parents would see a great town plus a powerhouse in football. Then that would mean better recruits for the Vols. I would say the Vols have to go out of state to get their best players more than any of the top traditional College football teams. Because our kids here are just not good enough.

I am originally from Loudon but I am currently serving in the Air Force in Texas and I am posting this from watching high school football in many states across the U.S. Texas is by far producing the best teams I have ever SEEN and they get so much respect because they play a lot of top ranked national teams from every state. Maryville has got a good strong team and if they wanted to hit the next level (national respect) they are going to have to play some power houses outside the state. I was at the game Friday (Maryville vs Mo West) and what I see from them is great and I love watching them play. But they would have an awful time with a team from Dallas called Southlake Carroll. I don't even think they could make the first half interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love my east Tenn football but Southlake Carroll is so big up front and physical plus they have receivers that can attack you vertically and on the short routes (not to mention Nate Newton's son at tailback who is a beast). Maryville could score on them some but Southlake would score everytime they had the ball. I wish the east Tenn football fans could watch this team play. I have never seen anything like them at high school level.

Okay, perhaps there are much stronger teams than Maryville. But if you look at Hillsboro, Maryville doesn't really have any business playing with them. Every year they face oppontents who are bigger and stronger. I could talk about a number of teams who blew everyone else out of the water, until that is, they played Maryville. However, I think the Rebels are coached better, and the kids play with more heart than anyone I've seen. I maintain that Maryville could play with any team in the U.S. Does it really matter? Not really? Do I know for sure? no. But look at their record of constantly beating teams they weren't supposed to. How bout way back in 01 when the Rebels started 0-4 and overcame all odds to win state. Thats only one of many examples.

Well thats fine if that is their goal, but why wouldn't you want to get your team on the map nationally? Just think if Maryville beat a couple of powerhouses they could end up getting kids from outside the state to come to Maryville because their parents would see a great town plus a powerhouse in football. Then that would mean better recruits for the Vols. I would say the Vols have to go out of state to get their best players more than any of the top traditional College football teams. Because our kids here are just not good enough.

First, I think we are on the map nationally. It's moving up that won't happen unless we played out of state powerhouses. Cal Preps compilation poll has Maryville at 21 or 22. Tony poll has Maryville at 12. SI has us at 16 or something like that. Maryville has gotten some national attention from the polls.

Secondly, the goal of a program should not be to get people from out of state. The goal should be to win every game that is on the schedule. What does being a top ten national power really get you? Maryville already gets attention from D-1 schools. Guys have gone on to South Carolina, Auburn, and two players on the team are UT commits, which brings up a third point.

The vols do what every other program does. If you look at Ohio State, USC, ND, etc, you see a lot of kids from different states. Those kids also are usually key players on the team. Tennessee recruits the best in the state, and then goes after the best in the country to fill in the gaps. All big time programs do the same thing. Pete Carrol has said something to the effect of "i don't care where their from, USC recruits the best" Of course there is more depth of talent in other states, but think about it. There are only 3 bigtime programs in CA if you count UCLA. There's a lot more D-I talent that goes somewhere else than a California school. Same for TX. I think it's great the TN has the type of program that can attract kids from CA, TX, OK, etc.

Not really arguing with you on this, but I think I have a bit of a different perspective. Like I said, I think it would be great to see them play some out of state teams. But I don't think that the Admin sees anything to really gain. Remember, Maryville has good academics too.

Maryville tax payers support the highschool with their taxes so that the kids that attend the school can be educated. Sports, including football, are secondary. Maryville is not going to trot all over the country picking fights with other power houses. The AD wouldn't allow it nor would the tax payers. Maryville would always have a tough time matching up with the lines of the power houses....and sometimes the skill position players....and yes they would have a tough time beating them. They would win their share though IMO.

In the end it doesn't really matter because it's not going to happen.

Okay, perhaps there are much stronger teams than Maryville. But if you look at Hillsboro, Maryville doesn't really have any business playing with them. Every year they face oppontents who are bigger and stronger. I could talk about a number of teams who blew everyone else out of the water, until that is, they played Maryville. However, I think the Rebels are coached better, and the kids play with more heart than anyone I've seen. I maintain that Maryville could play with any team in the U.S. Does it really matter? Not really? Do I know for sure? no. But look at their record of constantly beating teams they weren't supposed to. How bout way back in 01 when the Rebels started 0-4 and overcame all odds to win state. Thats only one of many examples.

I agree you never know until they play the game and Maryville is well coached. But the coaches out here in Texas are getting close to 7 figures a year and they teach the fundementals better than anyone. I heard Jimmy Hyams say that the reason Tennessee high school players dont stack up with other states is because they have a low rate of minority players. Southlake Carroll only has one minority player on the team. Trust me Maryville wouldn't pull this one out, they are slower and smaller and that spells disaster on the football field. Oh yeah what is up with the stadiums back home, man i have seen some out here than can hold up to 30,000. How many people were at the Maryville game Friday 5 or 6 thousand.

The goal at Maryville is to turn out well rounded individuals who are prepared for life after high school. Some will go on to play football, but most will not. The school is about so much more than football. Anything that would take young men out of the classroom like playing a national schedule, I think, would be frowned upon greatly by parents, coaches, student athletes and the school board.

Sure it would be nice to have that sort of recognition. But much of what would come with it would be an even higher level of criticism and a laundry list of new reasons for the haters to come out and attack the Rebels.

I'm not arguing against your point at all. Sure, I would love to know how we stack up against some of the top programs in other states. Quite selfishly I'd love to tell this guy I work with to shut up about the superiority of Texas in all areas of life including football. But desiring to see that matchup is just that...a desire. It's not going to happen in the foreseeable future and all I want right now is for Maryville to knock off Hillsboro this weekend.

Maryville don't play any D1-5A powerhouses or DII-3A in state now. Want to find out how good Maryville really is? Go play with the in-state powerhouse for a couple of years then if Maryville is really good, then schedule Lakeland, FL or Xavier, OH.

You don't have to go to Texas or California, the top US teams are in Flordia, Georgia, and Ohio.

First, I think we are on the map nationally. It's moving up that won't happen unless we played out of state powerhouses. Cal Preps compilation poll has Maryville at 21 or 22. Tony poll has Maryville at 12. SI has us at 16 or something like that. Maryville has gotten some national attention from the polls.

Secondly, the goal of a program should not be to get people from out of state. The goal should be to win every game that is on the schedule. What does being a top ten national power really get you? Maryville already gets attention from D-1 schools. Guys have gone on to South Carolina, Auburn, and two players on the team are UT commits, which brings up a third point.

The vols do what every other program does. If you look at Ohio State, USC, ND, etc, you see a lot of kids from different states. Those kids also are usually key players on the team. Tennessee recruits the best in the state, and then goes after the best in the country to fill in the gaps. All big time programs do the same thing. Pete Carrol has said something to the effect of "i don't care where their from, USC recruits the best" Of course there is more depth of talent in other states, but think about it. There are only 3 bigtime programs in CA if you count UCLA. There's a lot more D-I talent that goes somewhere else than a California school. Same for TX. I think it's great the TN has the type of program that can attract kids from CA, TX, OK, etc.

Not really arguing with you on this, but I think I have a bit of a different perspective. Like I said, I think it would be great to see them play some out of state teams. But I don't think that the Admin sees anything to really gain. Remember, Maryville has good academics too.

Trust me Ohio State, USC, Texas do not have to venture far to get players. If you looked at their roster I would say at least 80 to 90 percent of the players come from their home states. We have to go out of state to get our best players. How many of the recent great players at Tennessee are originally from Tennessee. I am telling you its getting worse and I am afraid its going to slip away from us. Texas, Cal, Ohio, Florida that is where your best high school football is right now and its showing in the college ranks. Maryville does have a little respect nationally but for the most part they arent really that known.