TSSAA Officials

WoodenFan

qualifications I understand but what about training? How is that done and is it done thru the chapters and is it done for all sports? What are the qualifications to become an Official and do all officials call all sports are do they just officiate the ones they are qualified or am I trying to define it too closely?

There was a game that all three Officials need to be reviewed in 8AAA.....never have I seen a team been taken out of a close game by the crap being called.... Both teams played hard, But to have an outcome on a game be like it was is sameful.........

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here have any insight with how officials are assigned to games?

In the Smoky Mountain Association, I've seen a handful of officials who have called varsity calling junior varsity this season. And at the same time, I've seen a boatload of guys I've never seen before - or guys who have worked JV for 1-2 years getting a lot of varsity games.

And to be polite, that experiment hasnt exactly worked out to well. It seems like every game I see, there's one strong official and two guys who are younger, newer to the varsity game and thus timid.

Its just not good for the coaches, officials, fans and the players...which after all is what this is all about.

Anyone here have any insight with how officials are assigned to games?

In the Smoky Mountain Association, I've seen a handful of officials who have called varsity calling junior varsity this season. And at the same time, I've seen a boatload of guys I've never seen before - or guys who have worked JV for 1-2 years getting a lot of varsity games.

And to be polite, that experiment hasnt exactly worked out to well. It seems like every game I see, there's one strong official and two guys who are younger, newer to the varsity game and thus timid.

Its just not good for the coaches, officials, fans and the players...which after all is what this is all about.

These guys I've seen for 3 years at many 8AAA games. 1 almost had to have oxygen before the end of the game.

THE REF IS THE 6TH MAN ON THE FLOOR THAT YOU CANNOT CONTROL. JUST PLAY AND ADJUST TO WHAT THEY ARE CALLING. TO BE A REF IN THE TSSAA DOESNT TAKE MUCH. AN OPEN BOOK TEST AND IF YOU PASS GET A WHISTLE AND YOU ARE READY.

I believe that, but after what was wittnessed it was 6th, 7th and 8th on that team.........you can,t adjust to that........

In order to become a TSSAA referee, you must:

1. Take an open book test and pass it.

2. Join a local association, about $25.00 in dues each year. State dues are about $30.00 each year too. Along with buy a uniform ($100 - $150 for starters)

3. The local association will assign you jr. high, 9th grade, & B-Team games until they feel like you are ready to move to the high school list. Usually at least 3-5 yrs.

4. You must attend a TSSAA sponsored camp in order to move up. Held in the summertime at $175.00 and last several days. Also, the TSSAA requires you to attend a camp once every 3 years in order for you to have a chance at post season tournaments. Don't forget about the closed book test you have to pass in order for you to have a chance at post season tournaments.

5. When the supervisors feel like you are ready for high school ball, you get moved up. Dues increase as well.

6. Before and during the season, there are local meetings which are held as more training. These meetings are required. Usually between 6 - 10 meetings. Some associations have additional training days for people with 5 yrs or less experience before the season starts.

This pretty much sums up the requirements. Officials are watched each year by supervisors during games and graded / critiqued on their performance. Also, coaches "rate" each official at the beginning and end of the season.

Anybody that thinks they can do it, just sign up, pay your dues, and have at it! They are always looking for new people.