State Championship Attendance

cbg

The numbers posted must be presold tickets, because there were many, many more people in actual attendance than posted earlier. I'm a Murfreesboro resident and love having the title game here in the boro, but I wonder what kind of experience the kids would have if the games could be played at LP Field. TX & Colorado play at NFL stadiums. It might be a lot of fun and create more interest.

I would say playing at LP Field would be great if the field could handle it. To be honest, the stadium has the worst playing surface EVER. Having 5 high school games played on it in 2 days would not be good. It's already a mess. The major reason: It is a mistake, but the Titans allow TSU to use the field when TSU already has a stadium on campus. They wear down the field on Saturdays, and draw maybe 1,000 people per game, and the Titans get the leftovers on Sunday. It's ridiculous. In my opinion, that's the central reason why the surface is so bad there. The Titans just wouldn't go for hosting the high school playoffs unless they put in that new grassy turf in the next couple years, which is what thery need to to do if they choose to keep allowing TSU to use the field. I do think it would boost crowds to play it there because Nashville is by far the best location, and LP is a great stadium although the field is worse than many high school fields.

I do not think it's a good idea to move it to Neyland. While the stadium is first class, it's WAY too long and dangerous of a trip for West TN teams to make. Middle Tennessee is where it should be simply for travel reasons. Nashville makes the most sense by far and that's where it needs to be.

Edited by John005

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went to the 5A game both sides were full the endzones were practically empty i would say that there was closer to 14000 people there at least i am not sure where or how they get their attendance but at a MTSU game there were a few more people in the endzone than there was at the 5A game and the announced attendance was 18000 so that is where i got my GUESS from

Got a complaint with the set up or prices? How about contacting these people to start.

http://tssaa.org/BoardofControl/boardof.htm

http://tssaa.org/LegislativeCouncil/legislat.htm

Since when has the boosters been in charge of buying rings and jacket patches for these kids. Do people not pay for there own stuff anymore? My goodness no wonder you complained about 7.00 tickets, to playoff games. You should have stayed home and watched th C'ship game on TV for "free" to match the bus, books, lunch and education you get for free already.

Since when??? You must not have any contact with TN public schools and the demographics that make up the public school system. Most of the athletes can not afford to pay. Ask any coach how important the booster program is for supplementing their program. And we are not talking rings and jackets. I know, some go overboard, but you may find it interesting to see just how many students in your city/county are on some type of subsidized lunch program. I think it will shock you. Take note of the student section at any TSSAA playoff game in any sport. It is a shame that the fat cats of the TSSAA have to make their money off the students. $7 dollars is a lot for some students. The fact is, you live in TN, one of the poorest states in the country. Since you think we get everything free already, it is obvious your boosters/team/coach hasn't received a check from you lately! Judging from your tone, I have a sneaking suspicion you really dont have any contact with public schools. If the readers know what I mean.

"It is a mistake, but the Titans allow TSU to use the field when TSU already has a stadium on campus."

The Titans do not "allow" TSU to use LP Field. They are required to do so under the terms of their lease with the City of Nashville. In fact, a large chunk of state money was appropriated for the stadium, in lieu of spending it to renovate Hale Stadium on the TSU campus. TSU is just as entitled to use LP Field as is Bud Adams' team.

"It is a mistake, but the Titans allow TSU to use the field when TSU already has a stadium on campus."

The Titans do not "allow" TSU to use LP Field. They are required to do so under the terms of their lease with the City of Nashville. In fact, a large chunk of state money was appropriated for the stadium, in lieu of spending it to renovate Hale Stadium on the TSU campus. TSU is just as entitled to use LP Field as is Bud Adams' team.

That is correct.

The Titans would be better off making a 2 or 3 million dollar donation to TSU to help them renovate their stadium. The TSU fans and student body would much rather play in the "HOLE" than play at LP field.

The Titans would be better off making a 2 or 3 million dollar donation to TSU to help them renovate their stadium. The TSU fans and student body would much rather play in the "HOLE" than play at LP field.

I did not know that it was required in the original deal, thank you for clarifying. However, the main point , that does not change regardless whether it is required or allowed for TSU to play at LP, is that it was and is bad for the field surface. That is why I believe is why you won't see any high school playoffs there in the near future, unless synthetic turf is installed. You can also look at the Steeler's field to see the same effects from Pitt sharing the facility. I think if teams are going to share with a university then it's whatever they are willing to put up with I suppose. However, if that's the case it will continue to be an expensive mess that must be fixed every year.

Edited by John005

The Titans last week replaced the grass between the hash marks for the second time this year. I have seen the playing surface at LP Field as basically painted dirt as early as late September.

IMHO. If they can't get the grass to grow (which they claim they can't), they should install field turf like New England did last month.

Guys, every one of you have missed the point of low attendance......I have been in (not to) three state championship games in my life, and the cold (they are played in warmer weather now than I can remember in decades), TV appearances (they have been doing this for close to 20 years), apathy, location, no support is not the factor. I have also attended more state championships than I can count on my fingers and toes. Not only have I watched or played in every state championship BA played in other than their first state championship against South Pittsburg in 1974, but I have been to the biggest state championship games ever in TN involving other schools in the 1980's and 1990's. The problem is that state championships are watered down. 8 state championships are ridiculous.....yeah, maybe if we were TX or CA we could have this many, but their population is more than many nations......... I have written posts here since 2002 about the attendance at state championships. Here is my post from November 11, 2002:

"Attendance records are not posted on the TSSAA.org site for State Championship games since 1998(2nd year of the Division I and II games). All other State Championship records before 1998 are posted for all classifications. Is it because they know how bad attendance has become at State Championship games because of the split? I believe so. 3 years of attendance totals do not take very long to enter in the system. Total attendance for the 1998 State Championships were 46,500. 1997, total attendance was 57,500. 1996 attendance totals were 58,000. 1995 attendance totals were 77,500. I do not think that estmated attendance totals decreasing over the years are a fluke. The TSSAA knows that attendance is horrendous at State Championship games now, and that is why they don't post it anymore. The TSSAA should not hide the fact that attendance has dropped, which causes revenue shortage in ticket sales and the overall event. They have had to go to another location to play the games, as well as get another sponsor. Revenue wise, I bet the ship has been sinking for several years. People no longer have interest because the best schools no longer play each other. Get public and private schools back together. The rivalries before the split were awesome!"

If you want to read replies go here: http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtop...p;p=entry

DO AWAY WITH THIS STUPID SPLIT! Actually, the football has gotten better since DII started. Although the attendance is low, the quality of football is better in DII. Hey.......it was forced!

Looking back on my post....I just realized something......2006 State Championship attendance is 31,361.......that is for DI and DII schools combined.........here are totals at the beginning and before the split.......Total attendance for the 1998 State Championships were 46,500. 1997, total attendance was 57,500. 1996 attendance totals were 58,000. 1995 attendance totals were 77,500. Notice it went down EVERY year from the time the split happened to the pathetic attendance of 31,361 for 8 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS in 2006 with a "nationally ranked" team this year as well as BA's potentially top 3 teams ever?!?!?!? There is no interest because the state championships are so watered down.......but hey.....you guys won.....everyone can feel good about themselves because "little johnny" played on a state championship team. BA's B-team could win quite a few of these state championships........

Edited by Brandon100

Well, it's only going to get colder because they are backing the season up another week. I guess next year they can charge $4 for the hot chocolate.

I say move the thing to Neyland.

It would have been warmer a week later...

2500 people in a 106,000 seat stadium would look nice.....

It was cold outside,but come on..It was State Championship Weekend...I didn't have a dog in the race and I went...I can't imagine having a team in it and NOT going....

The Titans last week replaced the grass between the hash marks for the second time this year. I have seen the playing surface at LP Field as basically painted dirt as early as late September.

IMHO. If they can't get the grass to grow (which they claim they can't), they should install field turf like New England did last month.

Especially after John Madden went on his rant a couple years ago about how awful the turf at LP Field was.....Near turf is the answer....Or get the crew that does Shields-Watkins Field in Neyland Stadium....Looks like they would have already paid for a new playing surface with how many times they have had to replace the turf....