Bartlett vs. Brentwood Academy

coachgat

Then that should let you know how good this team can really be. With Ash in foul trouble the first half they were still able to beat a pretty good team. Ashley doesn't have to score for this team to be good because she does so many other things well. If Ash wasn't in foul trouble then it could have been worse for BA. You also have to remember that late in the 4th quarter JJ went down with a knee injury and was out for a little bit. So twice in the game they played without two of their best players and still won. If these girls can stick togethor and keep working hard the sky is the limit for them.

I agree!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then that should let you know how good this team can really be. With Ash in foul trouble the first half they were still able to beat a pretty good team. Ashley doesn't have to score for this team to be good because she does so many other things well. If Ash wasn't in foul trouble then it could have been worse for BA. You also have to remember that late in the 4th quarter JJ went down with a knee injury and was out for a little bit. So twice in the game they played without two of their best players and still won. If these girls can stick togethor and keep working hard the sky is the limit for them.

I agree 100%

I agree bhscoach.... Ashley got two touchy fouls early but maintained her cool and picked up the ball handling slack when Jasmine went out in the second half due to a calf muscle cramp. Ashley can score with the best of them as was evident with a 20+ point performance a couple of games before this one. What is not mentioned for this game is that Ashley probably had 10 assists and 12 rebounds and assited in shutting down a 6'3" All American.

When people talk (write) on here about Bartlett; the first thing they mention is their offensive explosiveness. However, for a team that won 30 games last year by an average margin of 18+ points and held most teams to about 40 points per game - their defense is stiffling. Their defensive rotations and help side is a good indication of their coaching and court savvy. For a team that has been undersized at the post - they rotate and help side with the best of them. :thumb:

I went to BHS and I coach there now. Coach Whitfield has done a good job over the years with what she has been given. Don't get me wrong she has had talent. With the teams that she has had she's had to adjust from year to year. I know my Senior year at bartlett they had girls that busted it the entire year and won a bunch of games by out hustling other schools. This years team is getting a bunch of press b/c of last years "Big Three" and what they are calling "Fire and Ice" but after watching Bri the other night i think you can include "Big Four" in that phrase. But don't expect to come in and just see raw talent every night that will win them games. It's like one post said it's about their defense as well. Not only do they have the Top 3 players in the district in my opinion with Bri coming on strong but these girls also hustle. I won't tell fibs, i use to hate showing up to watch girls games when i played at bhs and really up to last year didn't like watching them. But these girls make it fun. Just let me put it this way. How do you want to play the game????? No matter how you want to play it the girls will beat you at your own game. That's what makes them so good.

I went to BHS and I coach there now. Coach Whitfield has done a good job over the years with what she has been given. Don't get me wrong she has had talent. With the teams that she has had she's had to adjust from year to year. I know my Senior year at bartlett they had girls that busted it the entire year and won a bunch of games by out hustling other schools. This years team is getting a bunch of press b/c of last years "Big Three" and what they are calling "Fire and Ice" but after watching Bri the other night i think you can include "Big Four" in that phrase. But don't expect to come in and just see raw talent every night that will win them games. It's like one post said it's about their defense as well. Not only do they have the Top 3 players in the district in my opinion with Bri coming on strong but these girls also hustle. I won't tell fibs, i use to hate showing up to watch girls games when i played at bhs and really up to last year didn't like watching them. But these girls make it fun. Just let me put it this way. How do you want to play the game????? No matter how you want to play it the girls will beat you at your own game. That's what makes them so good.

Good observation bhscoach. The boys have gotten off to a strong start and are looking good as well.

I also agree that Bri (Briana) is coming along. She typically out plays bigger post players by utilizing her exceptional foot work. The “Big Three” is quickly emerging into the “Big Four” and the supporting cast is stepping up nicely. Megan Groinger and Lauren Croom are filling that role player spot and doing an outstanding job. Megan is solid defensively and Lauren (a sophomore) is young and her role will increase next year as she continues to become acclimated to the high school game.

In reference to your statement about Bartlett being able to beat you at your game: “How do you want to play the game?” I definitely agree that this team has the ability to adjust its style of play. Bartlett can run with the best of them or they can execute in their half court sets. In my opinion: the teams that advance in post play – are typically able to adapt to different styles of play and dictate tempo based on their opponent deficiencies. During different intervals of the game you may be fast breaking and during stretches of the game you will have to execute in a half court set. Most teams are able to do one or the other but I think good teams are able to do both.

I think I posted something back in August about how Bartlett plays really good help side man defense. They are fun to watch even when you are playing against them. I'll never forget when we went to their gym and in the first quarter, everybody was making shots. I think the water girl got a 3 pointer in too. LOL. It should be interesting to see how this year pans out. I pray that everyone stays or gets healthy soon.