Marshall County Thread

wareagles67

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Marshall Co. needs to have a coach named before Christmas Holiday Break. Those guys are in a bigger state of confusion than ever and now they are being labeled as "underachievers" after being picked back in the preseason to finish #2 in Region 5-3A (a 3-7 season has made that prophecy look ignorant). The guys need to know what kind of leader they are going to be playing and preparing under before they actually return from Christmas Break. If this job search drags out for two months there is going to be some serious rebuilding to do in Lewisburg.

Right now the good news is that a new coach does have some talented players to work with next year. Justin Morris should be the Tigers starting quarterback next year. A player like Cavalla O'Neal would put a smile on any incoming coaches' face as he is a great weapon to have on a football team. The starting backfield of Justin Braden and Don'ta Hightower looks great heading into the 2007 campaign. All in all this has the look of a very good football team that could easily get back to the playoffs in not too much time at all BUT it's also a team that right now lacks confidence and they need someone to come in and "Restore the Roar" so to say in a hurry.

Hey mediamogul "the all knowledgeable one" is now here :):lol: I'd guess that Walt Smith would stay in Mt. Pleasant. He does play in a very weak region as you have implied & he does return a back to his team next year by the name of Marco Dailey. RC won't come for the same reason that I don't believe TT would ever return. He is in a great situation right now BUT WOULD BE WILLING TO MAKE A MOVE however the Lewisburg faithful better realize that it would take a whole lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Two of the prime candidates for this job are leading teams into the second round of the playoffs this week against two of the best teams in all of Class 2A. The other three prime candidates are coaching in games that are being labeled as "rematches" this upcoming Friday Night. One is a rematch from week zero. Another is a rematch from week two. The last is a rematch from week six. ONE OF THOSE FIVE WILL EVENTUALLY BE NAMED THE NEXT HEAD FOOTBALL COACH AT MARSHALL COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!

Many of the men you have mentioned have a limited proven track record....or none as all as head coaches.

RC will take a look, as is his custom, but would take a big pay cut. WS maybe, but doubtful. CD has already been pegged as the new man at Page (at least in the rumor mill). TT having already been possibly could more quickly remedy what ails the Tigers, but, as you pointed out, would have to be persuaded. Wolverine will look, but, awaits "mamas" call. The DL connection has some merit, but....again....not neccessarily his cup of tea.

Interesting dilema the Tigers have found themselves in. Poor pay, fair facilities, seemingly out of control parents, out of touch administration, good athetes, and.......................3 wins!

I hope that you are from Lewisburg or you will be scolded. I assume that Marshall County does want a winning football program...is that right? As I mentioned earlier and got the feathers all ruffled up over there. Get the egos and the parents out of the decision making and get a staff in there and let them go to work. Parents dont over rate the ability of your team. There are plenty of more talented teams in the West Tennessee area and in Jackson. The potential is certainly there though! Good Luck!

BigCountry, you made a pretty fair assessment of this situation, as far as the returning players and needing to get a coach in go. (I don't really have any knowledge on who the next coach will be, so I guess we'll have to trust you :lol: )

Of the many, many, MANY problems this team and program had this year, one of the biggest was the unbelievably poor offensive line. This was a group who had lost only 2 starters from the 2005 team (Locke and Perry).

I'm not going to say anything about any one player, but as a unit it was unbelievable how bad they were.

I guess one of the biggest if not the biggest factor in this was the loss of the offensive line coach from the 2005 season, who was an OUTSTANDING coach. Apparently the coach who handled the OLine this year was a pretty poor coach, considering the experience and size returning to the line. And, as probably everyone on here knows, that coach is no longer employed by the Marshall County school system...............

So looking at next year's team, that may be one of the biggest challenges the new coach has.

Edited by eaglefan

BigCountry, you made a pretty fair assessment of this situation, as far as the returning players and needing to get a coach in go. (I don't really have any knowledge on who the next coach will be, so I guess we'll have to trust you :P )

Of the many, many, MANY problems this team and program had this year, one of the biggest was the unbelievably poor offensive line. This was a group who had lost only 2 starters from the 2005 team (Locke and Perry).

I'm not going to say anything about any one player, but as a unit it was unbelievable how bad they were.

I guess one of the biggest if not the biggest factor in this was the loss of the offensive line coach from the 2005 season, who was an OUTSTANDING coach. Apparently the coach who handled the OLine this year was a pretty poor coach, considering the experience and size returning to the line. And, as probably everyone on here knows, that coach is no longer employed by the Marshall County school system...............

So looking at next year's team, that may be one of the biggest challenges the new coach has.

Come on eagle fan--man up---call a name.....call two or three names...

Come on eagle fan--man up---call a name.....call two or three names...

Naw........can't do it to the kids. Johnson's scheme is mostly a zone blocking scheme which requires A LOT of work and practice in order to do it right. When done right, lots of success (i.e. last year when Gower threw for a zillion yards and Hightower rushed for over 1000 yards the last HALF of the season) There just wasn't that cohesiveness on this year's Oline like there was last year (2005). So that's why I think the blame goes on the line as a whole and the Oline coach, not neccessarily on any individual(s).

Naw........can't do it to the kids. Johnson's scheme is mostly a zone blocking scheme which requires A LOT of work and practice in order to do it right. When done right, lots of success (i.e. last year when Gower threw for a zillion yards and Hightower rushed for over 1000 yards the last HALF of the season) There just wasn't that cohesiveness on this year's Oline like there was last year (2005). So that's why I think the blame goes on the line as a whole and the Oline coach, not neccessarily on any individual(s).

It was so successful last year , i believe we made it ONE round farther, than this year. so yeah , i see your point. :P I think defense had its share of hard times.

Many of the men you have mentioned have a limited proven track record....or none as all as head coaches.

RC will take a look, as is his custom, but would take a big pay cut. WS maybe, but doubtful. CD has already been pegged as the new man at Page (at least in the rumor mill). TT having already been possibly could more quickly remedy what ails the Tigers, but, as you pointed out, would have to be persuaded. Wolverine will look, but, awaits "mamas" call. The DL connection has some merit, but....again....not neccessarily his cup of tea.

Interesting dilema the Tigers have found themselves in. Poor pay, fair facilities, seemingly out of control parents, out of touch administration, good athetes, and.......................3 wins!

I thought that JD was the induvidual being labeled as "the guy" at Page :P

It was so successful last year , i believe we made it ONE round farther, than this year. so yeah , i see your point. :rolleyes: I think defense had its share of hard times.

First off.....yes, defense was a problem this year and last year. I believe I said, "of the many,many, MANY problems." So obviously I'm not limiting the problems to the Oline.

Second, look at the scores and stats of the OFFENSE from the last two years, since that is what I was talking about.

I'll recall what I can think of off the top of my head from the 2005 team:

40+ against Spring Hill

40+ against Page

26 against Lipscomb (which up until the State Championship game was the most points scored against them :lol: )

28 against Lexington, who advanced to the quarterfinals.

So yeah.....a very big difference in offensive production from last year compared to this year. :huh:

Edited by eaglefan

First off.....yes, defense was a problem this year and last year. I believe I said, "of the many,many, MANY problems." So obviously I'm not limiting the problems to the Oline.

Second, look at the scores and stats of the OFFENSE from the last two years, since that is what I was talking about.

I'll recall what I can think of off the top of my head from the 2005 team:

40+ against Spring Hill

40+ against Page

26 against Lipscomb (which up until the State Championship game was the most points scored against them :rolleyes: )

28 against Lexington, who advanced to the quarterfinals.

So yeah.....a very big difference in offensive production from last year compared to this year. :lol:

Also put up 40+ against Giles Co. that same year and scored 20 in a loss to a very good Creek Wood team :huh: