CENTENNIAL VS. FRANKLIN

CHS 2007

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the city liked it so much they adopted it as a nickname.

I think if Centennial can contain the outside scorers for Franklin, we have a pretty good chance. We got the size advantage, so the Rebels are gonna rely on Glass and Glover to make plays from the outside. If Centennial can limit space and put pressure on the outside, we'll have a good chance.

The factor for Franklin is gonna be Derek Batt. He normally seems to go inside, but he also has a deadly shot. With Kelly and Harris down low, Batt will have a tough time in the paint, so he will have to be hot from the field.

Haha.. you're funny. Well, Centennial's sports program has been pretty much embarassing "Franktown", so most of us FHS fans like to keep it as a nickname just for our school.

You're overlooking players for FHS that might not get a lot of publicity, but have really been stepping it up like Siske and Henry. They can step up and help lead the rebels to a win even if Batt isn't having a great shooting night.

I predict Franklin wins by atleast 15.

FINAL SCORE

FRANKLIN (aka "Franktown") 68

CENTENNIAL 51

Not really a close game at all. CHS played the zone, which really freed up the outside shooters for Franklin. Batt, Glass, and Young tore it up from the outside all night. Centennial also committed turnover after turnover that led Franklin to a flurry of fast break points, including a pretty nice dunk by Deontrey Siske. Centennial couldn't get anything going in the first half as the Cougars were outmanned in the box, keeping Kelly and Harris from getting the ball. Franklin let them go in the second half, however, and each responded with pretty respectable performances that half. The outside game didn't work at all for the Cougars as we tossed up brick after brick. The Cougars seemed to be controlling the post through most of the game, but we absolutely ignored the point (wasn't that one of my keys to winning?) on which the Rebels capitalized.

The difference maker? Turnovers. They absolutely killed Centennial in this game. We just weren't being smart with our passes and tried to force balls through the defense. Franklin had a big game off the fast break as I counted at least 14 points scored that way.

Preston Stroop did not play in this game, but he could be playing next week. Ben Mixer also sat this one out as he is still recovering from his broken foot. He should be off crutches in the next week and should begin to shoot again.

Franklin players of the game: Derek Batt/Gabe Glass-both had big days from the field as they were able to get open from beyond the arc and make things happen

Centennial player of the game: Drew Kelly-after a slow start, he came alive in the second half. Also a couple of blocks, but the zone defense kept him from challenging the Franklin shooters.

I will have the official stats posted tomorrow.

Thanks for the score and some of the key reasons for the lopsided result.

Franklin's D seams to be as good if not better than last year - quick hands and cut off the passing lanes in a hurry. Same story when they played BGA and Hillsboro. It also sounds as if the outside shooting continues to be a threat for Franklin.

Edited by faninthestand

Thanks for the score and some of the key reasons for the lopsided result.

Franklin's D seams to be as good if not better than last year - quick hands and cut off the passing lanes in a hurry. Same story when they played BGA and Hillsboro. It also sounds as if the outside shooting continues to be a threat for Franklin.

Their defense wasn't really that impressive, we just made alot of bad passes that gave Franklin alot of open court. Once Kelly and Harris got free, they owned the inside game of Franklin. Franklin's shooting is the real deal. At this level, it's rare to see big guys that are automatic from the field. I think that's one reason these guys cause so much trouble. They can hurt you from the post and from the point. The defense doesn't know which game to focus on.

yup franklin basically dominated from 3

i dont really know what was up w/ the cougars tonight

pressure maybe?

i'm not going to say that the officiating was the reason that centennial lost (they basically shot themselves in their foot all night)

i will say it was bad

both ways

the first 5 minutes of the game there were alot of plays that shouldnt have or should have been calls for both teams

whatever

either way

franklin won this one big

Yep, turnovers for CHS and Franklin hitting the 3's. seemed to be the difference. I believe the Rebels were up by 12 after 1Q & then 15 @ the half. Glass started each quarter with a 3. Seems like every time that CHS mounted a bit of a comeback, we would hit a 3. FHS got a bunch of steals which led to some easy baskets.

I heard Coach Kelly during one time out tell the CHS players "You gotta jump out into the passing lanes." It didn't look to me like the CHS defensive intensity was ever there. Perhaps it was because we got a few CHS players in early foul trouble.

Soo, a 17 point road win. About what I expected. Kelly had a pretty decent 2nd half. CHS 2007, I look forward to seeing your stats. Those posted on the Tennessean website are bogus. They don't even list Glass or Kelly.

Now, Seagull comes to "Franktown" on Monday night. GO REBELS!! :angry:

Not sure what game you guys watched tonight. Centennial did not play zone any during the game. Franklin ran Centennial ragged. Watching Drew and Bug chase men around at the three point line is sad. Franklin was great tonight, A+ coaching and using every player correctly. Until Centennial learns to play zone they are not even going to be in games they should be. Look at my earlier post about this game. Dead on.

Still early but it looks like Hillsboro and Franklin fighting for the top spot.

Great game tonight for Franklin.

Are you serious? Hillsboro is 3-5 and the only thing they are only fighting to hold on right now. And the Cougars played a zone, a 3-2 zone at that. Drew was the inside man, but was drawn out because Glass ran from the inside to the point and was wide open. Centennial never ran man to man, at least through the majority of the game.

Edited by CHS 2007