Black Horse final results

CoachDelgado

What I don't understand about owl zach is his stalling. He was so tired in the 3rd pd he couldn't even stand up. I noticed he was pretty much out of shape the whole tournament. I don't blame the ref. I think he made the right call.

ah, an astute observer of wrestling! :thumb:

Did Chris Reynolds and Todd Bridgeforth from Cordova not wrestle .Where have they been.They both wouldve easily placed first.

don't know about their ability to hang gold around the neck but hey, who knows. as to their whereabouts, the leader o' the pack said it's an issue being handled within the confines of their den. :o

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soms,

I will direct your attention to SBA's post stating there was some concern about a referee's affiliation. I did not bring this up, SBA did.

Can I expect to receive my apology in the mail?

TCB for all you Memphis fans.

[/quote

SBA is correct in mentioning affiliations. The rumor at the tournament was that the MBA referee was also an MBA graduate. If this is correct and a referee from out of the area was needed, finding one with no affiliation would have been much smarter. I know many referees that will not judge matches for their alma mater or where their kids attend school, etc. Several times I did the same as a wrestling official.

How it worked out this last weekend--I thought the MBA referee did a good job with quickly identifying and calling stalling, but was too quick on a couple of back points. However, I would not be so naive to say that affiliation is not an issue.

Are we talking "Taking Care of Business" or the old TCB band for Elvis? Or is this a new and updated abbreviation?

Soms, had you been from Memphis, you would know. Saw Elvis at Graceland last night and asked, "Are you lonesome tonight?" Still in seclusion.

P.S. Still waiting on the apology. Did you go back and read?

MBA has a referee? No wonder they have done as well as they have the last few years. I guess with all the money they have they can afford to have their own. Are there any other schools with their own referee's, if so, please advise. This is certainly a first. Also, what school did the other referee's graduate from that called the tournament?

MBA has a referee? No wonder they have done as well as they have the last few years. I guess with all the money they have they can afford to have their own. Are there any other schools with their own referee's, if so, please advise. This is certainly a first. Also, what school did the other referee's graduate from that called the tournament?

/quote]

Having an away team bring a referree from their City is the first I have seen in tweny plus years of wrestling, coaching and being an official in the Midwest and South. If a suitable local referee cannot be found, I suggest spending the money and getting someone that is not a graduate of one of the schools. There are plenty of other referees in middle TN that could probably have done a great job.

This is just one area for improvement, otherwise it was a great tournament, well run and enjoyable!

QUOTE BY SMWWREST... "SBA is correct in mentioning affiliations. The rumor at the tournament was that the MBA referee was also an MBA graduate. If this is correct and a referee from out of the area was needed, finding one with no affiliation would have been much smarter. I know many referees that will not judge matches for their alma mater or where their kids attend school, etc. Several times I did the same as a wrestling official."

What a joke! The lack of quality referees in Memphis is largely due to the fact that the leadership of the officials' association, much like the leadership of the Memphis local government, is run by petty, self-serving individuals who look after each other at the expense of its constituents. It is widely known and understood that most of the officials in Memphis are tragically incompetent, which explains why the organizers of the Black Horse Tournament had to bring in out-of-town officials and which further explains why no state-level tournament has ever or probably will ever be held on the left side. Heck, like the organizers of the Black Horse Tournament, the TSSAA would have to pay to bring in officials from all across the state (and we all know that the TSSAA does not like to pay, it likes to get paid).

As to the rumor surrounding the MBA official, I understand that the Nashville referee (there was also one brought in all the way from Chattanooga – pitiful isn’t it) imported to offset the incompetence of the local officials was indeed a graduate of MBA. However, for someone from Memphis to question or even doubt his objectivity is obscenely hypocritical because there were several Memphis referees at the Black Horse Tournament who were graduates of CBHS! In fact, during finals, at least one of the brothers in black and white managed to get assigned to every mat where a brother in purple and gold was wrestling.

SMWWREST -- Is there something in the water in Memphis or is it the Rendezvous’ dry rub??? Careful HOOSERDAD, whatever it is, I think it might be impacting your judgment too.

Look, darn near every official is affiliated with a wrestling team somewhere. No wrestling team (despite its bank balance) has its own official. Tournaments like often use officials from other parts of Tennessee in order to help out and in order to provide those officials an opportunity to see local wrestlers prior to the state tournament. (Although I do not think that was the case at the Black Horse. As stated in an earlier post, out of town officials were brought in due to the pathetic officiating in Memphis. Without a few competent officials, good teams like Brother Martin, Grissom, and MBA would not continue to come back year after year.)

In the end, an official's alma mater and/ or home town should be irrelevant because no wrestler should ever allow a match to be so close that the official's decision affects the outcome.

What a joke! The lack of quality referees in Memphis is largely due to the fact that the leadership of the officials' association, much like the leadership of the Memphis local government, is run by petty, self-serving individuals who look after each other at the expense of its constituents. It is widely known and understood that most of the officials in Memphis are tragically incompetent, which explains why the organizers of the Black Horse Tournament had to bring in out-of-town officials and which further explains why no state-level tournament has ever or probably will ever be held on the left side. Heck, like the organizers of the Black Horse Tournament, the TSSAA would have to pay to bring in officials from all across the state (and we all know that the TSSAA does not like to pay, it likes to get paid).

As to the rumor surrounding the MBA official, I understand that the Nashville referee (there was also one brought in all the way from Chattanooga – pitiful isn’t it) imported to offset the incompetence of the local officials was indeed a graduate of MBA. However, for someone from Memphis to question or even doubt his objectivity is obscenely hypocritical because there were several Memphis referees at the Black Horse Tournament who were graduates of CBHS! In fact, during finals, at least one of the brothers in black and white managed to get assigned to every mat where a brother in purple and gold was wrestling.

ooooooooooooooo.................. :ph34r:

as to why there were other zebras from other zoos there, i believe it had as much to do with the anticipated quantity that would be available for the tourney as it was quality of the zebra on display for the public to criticize....uh....er...i mean to call matches. ;)

ah, an astute observer of wrestling! :lol:

don't know about their ability to hang gold around the neck but hey, who knows. as to their whereabouts, the leader o' the pack said it's an issue being handled within the confines of their den. ;)

well I don't know about Bridgeforth, but I remember Chris Reynolds placing first in his weight class at the Blackhorse last season. Noting this, I would think he would have done pretty well in this tournament if he competed in.

I was, however, quite surprised to see Cordova have Freddy Romero at 140, I remember seeing that kid at 119 last year!

QUOTE BY SMWWREST... "SBA is correct in mentioning affiliations. The rumor at the tournament was that the MBA referee was also an MBA graduate. If this is correct and a referee from out of the area was needed, finding one with no affiliation would have been much smarter. I know many referees that will not judge matches for their alma mater or where their kids attend school, etc. Several times I did the same as a wrestling official."

Look we all know who you are talking about so why don't you just call them out by their name?

Keep one thing in mind, while they may not be good officials, try to call all CBHS matches, are graduates of CBHS, etc... they do get paid as much as the good officials.