Big 9 Confrence

32-34combo

I definitely agree with the over rated part. The DB team last year were in my opinion Overachievers…a team that was feeding off of the emotion of people (their own fans) saying they were “the least talented DB team to step on the court in a long while”…(yea I still remember the post from last year). Sylvester was 50% from the arch and the three 3's he made came late in the game and gave his team the lead for the last time. Some would argue that that is pretty good, but you are entitled to disagree. And a playmaker will only be able to do what he does best if he is given the “green light”. In other words he should be told by the coach to look for his shot everytime he touches the ball...and if he should make a couple bad plays from maybe forcing the issue or trying to be creative…he won’t get pulled out and yelled at. He also needs to know that the other players on the court believe in him and all animosity of him being labeled “the star” will be set aside. Like East and Volunteer this year.

I also don’t think that Morgan is doing things to intentionally put his team at a disadvantage. I have to say that he does do too much politicking for my taste. Putting the handicapped kid in at point guard was truly a good gesture, but was it the best move for the team at that point in the game? Morgan is a good coach but just like with any coach the players and the parents for that matter have to buy into your system for it to truly be effective. I don’t have a dog in this race but I do know that this is not a problem that happened overnight. I have heard the same criticism of Morgan for at least a couple of years from athletes and parents at DB. I’m just saying ….Is he still an effective coach for DB???

CAP1

I HAVE WATCHED THE LEEPER KID AND MY SON HAS PLAYED BALL WITH THE LEEPER KID YOU CALLED HADICAPPED. THIS YOUNG MAN IS NO WAY HADICAPPED! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU PLAY HIM ONE ON ONE! I KNOW YOU WOULD CHANGE YOUR MIND AND FIND OUT THIS KID CAN PLAY AND IS NO WAY A SPECAIL CASE OR HOLDING THE TEAM BACK!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not for any person but Cap does have a point when he states his opinions and theres no reason for it becoming a major uproar between everyone. I dont believe any jv team could beat the any varsity team at this point.. I do agree that major contributors on the varsity shouldnt be playin jv, though. It does risk injury to them.. but o well, once again just another opinion so u guys can take it how u want...

I definitely agree with the over rated part. The DB team last year were in my opinion Overachievers…a team that was feeding off of the emotion of people (their own fans) saying they were “the least talented DB team to step on the court in a long while”…(yea I still remember the post from last year). Sylvester was 50% from the arch and the three 3's he made came late in the game and gave his team the lead for the last time. Some would argue that that is pretty good, but you are entitled to disagree. And a playmaker will only be able to do what he does best if he is given the “green light”. In other words he should be told by the coach to look for his shot everytime he touches the ball...and if he should make a couple bad plays from maybe forcing the issue or trying to be creative…he won’t get pulled out and yelled at. He also needs to know that the other players on the court believe in him and all animosity of him being labeled “the star” will be set aside. Like East and Volunteer this year.

I also don’t think that Morgan is doing things to intentionally put his team at a disadvantage. I have to say that he does do too much politicking for my taste. Putting the handicapped kid in at point guard was truly a good gesture, but was it the best move for the team at that point in the game? Morgan is a good coach but just like with any coach the players and the parents for that matter have to buy into your system for it to truly be effective. I don’t have a dog in this race but I do know that this is not a problem that happened overnight. I have heard the same criticism of Morgan for at least a couple of years from athletes and parents at DB. I’m just saying ….Is he still an effective coach for DB???

CAP1

MY SON HAS PLAYED AGAINST THE LEEPER KID YOU CALLED HANDICAPPED EVER SINCE HE WAS 5 YEARS OLD. IN NO WAY THIS KID IS HANDICAPPED! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU PLAY HIM ONE ON ONE. THEN YOU WILL FIND OUT HOW GOOD HE IS! AND THERE IS NO WAY THIS YOUNG MAN IS HOLDING THIS TEAM BACK!

HE IS ALL HEART! THAT IS WHAT SPORTS IS ALL ABOUT! HEART!

Dobyns-Bennett wins tonight against East. After all the critisism this week of Morgan and this team, they came out tonight looking like they had something to prove. Not sure if it was more about being better prepared, or just being more aggressive, or a little of both, but good effort. Maybe they will get back on track now...

Cap1 has a point in that D-B has historically taken maximum advantage of the old "six quarters" rule for certain players to participate in both JV and Varsity games. The fact that THS and Central have not and do not do this perhaps speaks more to coaching philosophy than anything. One downside of this which I would not like if I were the parent of a D-B JV or a number 7 or 8 varsity basketball player is the obvious reduction in playing opportunities which might occur.

I am curious. This approach by Morgan is obvious to the rest of the Conference. No names, but what do the D-B fans, players, and, most interestingly, the parents, have to say on this?

Dobyns-Bennett wins tonight against East. After all the critisism this week of Morgan and this team, they came out tonight looking like they had something to prove. Not sure if it was more about being better prepared, or just being more aggressive, or a little of both, but good effort. Maybe they will get back on track now...

How did Snapp do for East? DB was supposed to win. But I figured East would win.

lordofscreens, I do not believe that it is only Morgan who takes this approach. Science Hill and South do this as well or they have in the past. Maybe Morgan took this philosophy from Pitts while he was an assistant under him at Science Hill, I don't know. I don't have a problem with it as long as the players that should be playing are. If you have a junior who is no good but is playing on the JV team about sophomores or freshman who can play, I don't agree with that. However, if there are sophomores or juniors on the Varsity team that do not see the majority of the minutes and are not playing JV just as a place-holder, then I do not disagree with that philosophy.

Fanatic, Snapp didn't do all that much. He finished with 15 points, and most of them were on wide open three pointers and free throws. I was not that impressed with him as Throp and Sylvester did a great job of defending him, minus the foul trouble. He shot a ton of shots, so of course he did get his points, but he was not impressive tonight.

Edited by BobSegar

CAP1

MY SON HAS PLAYED AGAINST THE LEEPER KID YOU CALLED HANDICAPPED EVER SINCE HE WAS 5 YEARS OLD. IN NO WAY THIS KID IS HANDICAPPED! I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU PLAY HIM ONE ON ONE. THEN YOU WILL FIND OUT HOW GOOD HE IS! AND THERE IS NO WAY THIS YOUNG MAN IS HOLDING THIS TEAM BACK!

HE IS ALL HEART! THAT IS WHAT SPORTS IS ALL ABOUT! HEART!

No disrespect to Mr. Leeper but he is handicapped. I do agree that he is better than most and plays with more effort and heart than all...but in any case, he turned the ball over two consecutive times in the short time that he was in there. And at that time the game was very close. Again I mean no disrespect to Mr. Leeper. I applaud his effort and admire his ability despite his disadvantage. :thumb:

Edited by Cap1

Despite being heavy underdogs the Vikings were only 7 points down with just over two minutes left in the game tonight. The margin of victory was the result of having to foul the Toppers in the closing minutes of the game because they went to a four corners type offense to run out the clock. If we play other opponents with the same level of intensity as they did tonight the odds are looking good to finish top four in the conference. Hats off to coach Whitcher and crew tonight!

The toppers are LOADED with talent as I expected with only one senior and two sophomores starting tonight. The first two off the bench for the Toppers were also sophomores...so in my book the odds are that they will rein supreme for at least the next two years in the Big 9. Just my opinion…but we will see. :thumb: