Big 9 Confrence

32-34combo

I think what everyone is trying to say Greeneville, is, yes, the players made the mistakes when they had an opportunity to win. However, if Morgan would let the players go out and do what they do best and play their game without trying to control every single pass and shot, they would not have been in the position to have to make free throws at the end of the game. I agree that the JV team probably could have given the Tennessee High varsity team a good game, or perhaps, even beaten them because their coach actually attempts to let them play and doesn't pull players out after every mistake...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throp shot the free throw and missed. Charlie Morgan didn't. Sylvester turned the ball over with poor ball handling skills, Charlie Morgan didn't. Please someone in Kingsport let the students be responsible for their actions. Ever since I have been associated with anything Kingsport has always tried to put their blame on everything but where the blame needs to go. Let these kids take responsibility for their poor play. No matter what offense you have anyone that is a playmaker can make plays.

What are you talking about? Are you sure you’re not kin to Morgan or something?!!

“Poor ball handling skills” ARE YOU SERIOUS ;) !!!! That’s the first time Justin has been accused of that since he picked the ball up the first time! Do you really think that these kids are making that many more mistakes than any other team? Look at last year’s performances and stats of every one of the players that start for DB. Now are you telling me that they ALL went south…all at the same time????! None of these kids are playing near to the way they played last year. Did they all get that bad over the summer??? Yes players make mistakes and miss shots and free throws…but so do the players on the other team…and in the long run most of the time the more talented team will still come out on top. I think what the case is here is that it’s not been the case with DB this year. Throp is a playmaker…is Morgan putting him in the position and giving him the opportunity to make plays? Sylvester is a scorer…is he being put in the position AND GIVIN THE GO AHEAD to score? And Frankie is a scrapper…but if no one is shooting that takes him out of the game. Is the coach utilizing any of these players to their full potential? If you ask me I say NO!! Coming into the game did Morgan not know that the Vikings would pack the zone down on his big men?? HELLO…one thing is constant for the Vikings GOOD ZONE D. Morgan hasn’t played a Viking team that didn’t do it…so why did it take him to halftime to TRY and make adjustments? Actually...in my opinion, working against the zone should have been the focus in the practices leading into the game since the Vikings really don't have a specific player to prepare for. Exactly at what point do you feel the coach should take responsibility for his team’s lack of success :) ?????????????

I agree that the JV team probably could have given the Tennessee High varsity team a good game, or perhaps, even beaten them because their coach actually attempts to let them play and doesn't pull players out after every mistake...

That’s a ridiculous statement. In all reality your JV squad wouldn’t be able to stay within 20 of your varsity if they played. There is a reason those kids are on JV. Let me give you a hint...they didn't make the varsity team...they weren't good enough to be on varsity yet...and I could put it many different ways. So don’t get it twisted...the difference in JV and Varsity goes much deeper than who's coaching! And I’ve heard about as much of the Viking bashing as I can take. As bad as you say we are…WE STILL WON THE GAME…get over it and move on! Even with all the players in the right position and Coach K pulling the strings…DB is still not as good as you thing they are or should I say “as you think they SHOULD BE”!! Even with Superman.

Edited by Cap1

What are you talking about? Are you sure you’re not kin to Morgan or something?!!

“Poor ball handling skills” ARE YOU SERIOUS :o !!!! That’s the first time Justin has been accused of that since he picked the ball up the first time! Do you really think that these kids are making that many more mistakes than any other team? Look at last year’s performances and stats of every one of the players that start for DB. Now are you telling me that they ALL went south…all at the same time????! None of these kids are playing near to the way they played last year. Did they all get that bad over the summer??? Yes players make mistakes and miss shots and free throws…but so do the players on the other team…and in the long run most of the time the more talented team will still come out on top. I think what the case is here is that it’s not been the case with DB this year. Throp is a playmaker…is Morgan putting him in the position and giving him the opportunity to make plays? Sylvester is a scorer…is he being put in the position AND GIVIN THE GO AHEAD to score? And Frankie is a scrapper…but if no one is shooting that takes him out of the game. Is the coach utilizing any of these players to their full potential? If you ask me I say NO!! Coming into the game did Morgan not know that the Vikings would pack the zone down on his big men?? HELLO…one thing is constant for the Vikings GOOD ZONE D. Morgan hasn’t played a Viking team that didn’t do it…so why did it take him to halftime to TRY and make adjustments? Actually...in my opinion, working against the zone should have been the focus in the practices leading into the game since the Vikings really don't have a specific player to prepare for. Exactly at what point do you feel the coach should take responsibility for his team’s lack of success :thumb: ?????????????

I agree that Morgan does have to take responsibility. I do think that Sylvester did miss some open three point shots also. I was not saying that he was a bad ball handler either, just that he turned the ball over at the end of the game. I do believe that if you have play makers they can make plays in any system. But like I also said it is still early in the season. I do believe that they will get better as the year goes on and hopefully reach their potential. I also think that they were overrated. Too much hype for them.

Cap, I am no where near related to Coach Morgan. It just aggervates me that people always are trying to bash a coach and get them fired. I don't think any coach intentionally does anything to put his or her team in a position to lose.

“Poor ball handling skills” ARE YOU SERIOUS :o !!!! That’s the first time Justin has been accused of that since he picked the ball up the first time! Do you really think that these kids are making that many more mistakes than any other team? Look at last year’s performances and stats of every one of the players that start for DB. Now are you telling me that they ALL went south…all at the same time????! None of these kids are playing near to the way they played last year. Did they all get that bad over the summer??? Yes players make mistakes and miss shots and free throws…but so do the players on the other team…and in the long run most of the time the more talented team will still come out on top. I think what the case is here is that it’s not been the case with DB this year. Throp is a playmaker…is Morgan putting him in the position and giving him the opportunity to make plays? Sylvester is a scorer…is he being put in the position AND GIVIN THE GO AHEAD to score? And Frankie is a scrapper…but if no one is shooting that takes him out of the game. Is the coach utilizing any of these players to their full potential? If you ask me I say NO!! Coming into the game did Morgan not know that the Vikings would pack the zone down on his big men?? HELLO…one thing is constant for the Vikings GOOD ZONE D. Morgan hasn’t played a Viking team that didn’t do it…so why did it take him to halftime to TRY and make adjustments? Actually...in my opinion, working against the zone should have been the focus in the practices leading into the game since the Vikings really don't have a specific player to prepare for. Exactly at what point do you feel the coach should take responsibility for his team’s lack of success :thumb: ?????????????

Well said Cap... All I have been hearing is how terrible DB played, but the Vikings didnt exactly play their best game either. Mistakes for both teams were made, the Vikings jus came out with the win for playing a better game. At all means, Coach Morgan is not the one to blame.. Every team has their limits and no team is given the freedom to go out on the court and play their own game of what will turn into an unorganized streetball game... THere has to be limits..

I agree that Morgan does have to take responsibility. I do think that Sylvester did miss some open three point shots also. I was not saying that he was a bad ball handler either, just that he turned the ball over at the end of the game. I do believe that if you have play makers they can make plays in any system. But like I also said it is still early in the season. I do believe that they will get better as the year goes on and hopefully reach their potential. I also think that they were overrated. Too much hype for them.

Cap, I am no where near related to Coach Morgan. It just aggervates me that people always are trying to bash a coach and get them fired. I don't think any coach intentionally does anything to put his or her team in a position to lose.

I definitely agree with the over rated part. The DB team last year were in my opinion Overachievers…a team that was feeding off of the emotion of people (their own fans) saying they were “the least talented DB team to step on the court in a long while”…(yea I still remember the post from last year). Sylvester was 50% from the arch and the three 3's he made came late in the game and gave his team the lead for the last time. Some would argue that that is pretty good, but you are entitled to disagree. And a playmaker will only be able to do what he does best if he is given the “green light”. In other words he should be told by the coach to look for his shot everytime he touches the ball...and if he should make a couple bad plays from maybe forcing the issue or trying to be creative…he won’t get pulled out and yelled at. He also needs to know that the other players on the court believe in him and all animosity of him being labeled “the star” will be set aside. Like East and Volunteer this year.

I also don’t think that Morgan is doing things to intentionally put his team at a disadvantage. I have to say that he does do too much politicking for my taste. Putting the handicapped kid in at point guard was truly a good gesture, but was it the best move for the team at that point in the game? Morgan is a good coach but just like with any coach the players and the parents for that matter have to buy into your system for it to truly be effective. I don’t have a dog in this race but I do know that this is not a problem that happened overnight. I have heard the same criticism of Morgan for at least a couple of years from athletes and parents at DB. I’m just saying ….Is he still an effective coach for DB???

Edited by Cap1

You don't have a clue. This same bunch as freshman was beating teams by 40 and 50 points. Now as Sr.'s their getting beat by 20, by pretty much the same players. Morgan has single handedly ruined this team. He is making Daniels look good now.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. YOU Wack o are the clueless one!!! You live in a middleschool dream world just like the rest of those DB fans that base the Sr year on 14 year olds 3 years ago. Remember your posts on that great football team this year? They Wack o beat teams so badly their Freshman year that they did not stop the clock sometimes after the FIRST qtr.! Have you ever heard the words peaked and matured as well as cocky and lazy? Because 2 large middle schools come together and win, everybody thinks it will just continue. As in football with some of the boys NEVER working out, the same story with some of the basketball players. Is it sour grapes from the fans because so much was expected from this group of Srs? So Wack o, if DB does not win state in baseball, can we all look forward to you changing the entire coaching staff at DB for next year??? Be the first, make a post on baseball to fire Ritz! Humorous us with your Wack o ness!

You don't have a clue. This same bunch as freshman was beating teams by 40 and 50 points. Now as Sr.'s their getting beat by 20, by pretty much the same players. Morgan has single handedly ruined this team. He is making Daniels look good now.

Nice comment, but maybe you are the one without the clue. That same freshman team you allude to included the following individuals now on the Varsity roster; Blackwell, Sensabaugh, Leeper and Adams. Williamson and Throp played very little Freshman ball as both played the majority of the season on JV. In addition, Throp was hurt for the first half of the season and the few freshaman games he did play were really for rehabilitation purposes. Furthermore, Adams did not play a lot and Leaper played very little as well. Therefore, the only two current seniors who were major contributors to that freshman team were Blackwell and Sensabaugh. Now you tell me how this is the same group of freshman who were beating other freshman teams by 40 and 50 points.

"CMo has single handedly ruined this team" is just the type of comment that you and several others on this board make that have absolutely no factual backing what so ever. You know I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, but when you start trying to pass them off as facts like you are somehow "in the know" then you cross the line.

Try and remember that these are real people you are bashing. Some adults and some kids and personally I do not think the players or the coaches at DB, or any school for that matter, deserve the bashing that some of you are dishing out on this board. It is high school game played by 16, 17 and 18 year olds. It is not life and death to them nor should it be to you.

Edited by Oldschool87

That’s a ridiculous statement. In all reality your JV squad wouldn’t be able to stay within 20 of your varsity if they played. There is a reason those kids are on JV. Let me give you a hint...they didn't make the varsity team...they weren't good enough to be on varsity yet...and I could put it many different ways. So don’t get it twisted...the difference in JV and Varsity goes much deeper than who's coaching! And I’ve heard about as much of the Viking bashing as I can take. As bad as you say we are…WE STILL WON THE GAME…get over it and move on! Even with all the players in the right position and Coach K pulling the strings…DB is still not as good as you thing they are or should I say “as you think they SHOULD BE”!! Even with Superman.

Cap this proves you are totally clueless when you talk about DB. Riggs, Edwards, Sylvester, McConnell, McGue, they all play on JV, and VARISTY. You have NO CLUE. The post position would've been used more if the JV actually played the Varsity TN High. It would have been a good game.

Cap I am not your enemy. I know it is near impossible to believe that another school's JV team could compete with your varsity because I would have a hard time admitting so myself, but let me break it down for you...

There are 3 sophomores on Varsity this year, all of whom see minutes and, I believe, all of whom also play 2 quarters on the JV team for extra time. Those 3 players, Sylvester, McConnell, and Edwards all compliment each other PERFECTLY, if given the chance to play. Sylvester is the ball handler and great defender, McConnell is the spot-up shooter and a smart player, and Edwards is the big kid who does all the dirty work. Add in McGue at the point and Riggs in the post and that is a VERY formitable JV lineup. I do honestly believe that if given the chance to play their own game, that team could AT LEAST compete with the team TN High put on the floor the other night. They were not impressive, AT ALL, and I think that is something we can all agree on. Yes, they won, and nobody is making excuses. We are simply saying our players did not make the plays, but furthermore, Morgan is not giving them the opportunities to make the plays. He is continually letting his ego get in the way of letting his players do what they do best, thus minimizing his team's chances of getting a quality win...

Cap this proves you are totally clueless when you talk about DB. Riggs, Edwards, Sylvester, McConnell, McGue, they all play on JV, and VARISTY. You have NO CLUE. The post position would've been used more if the JV actually played the Varsity TN High. It would have been a good game.

Do you really think a varsity starter would be playing on the JV!! You know...I don't even have to point out the fact that you are a CLOWN...your posts speak for themselves!!! :thumb::o

Cap I am not your enemy. I know it is near impossible to believe that another school's JV team could compete with your varsity because I would have a hard time admitting so myself, but let me break it down for you...

There are 3 sophomores on Varsity this year, all of whom see minutes and, I believe, all of whom also play 2 quarters on the JV team for extra time. Those 3 players, Sylvester, McConnell, and Edwards all compliment each other PERFECTLY, if given the chance to play. Sylvester is the ball handler and great defender, McConnell is the spot-up shooter and a smart player, and Edwards is the big kid who does all the dirty work. Add in McGue at the point and Riggs in the post and that is a VERY formitable JV lineup. I do honestly believe that if given the chance to play their own game, that team could AT LEAST compete with the team TN High put on the floor the other night. They were not impressive, AT ALL, and I think that is something we can all agree on. Yes, they won, and nobody is making excuses. We are simply saying our players did not make the plays, but furthermore, Morgan is not giving them the opportunities to make the plays. He is continually letting his ego get in the way of letting his players do what they do best, thus minimizing his team's chances of getting a quality win...

If McConnell and Edwards got on the floor during the varsity game the other night I didn’t notice them. And they surely didn’t make a difference in the varsity game…now did they? And do I have to explain to you why they look so extraordinary on the JV court verses not being noticed on the Varsity floor, or can you figure that one out yourself??? Once again you DB hopefuls think you have all the players and all the answers!! And wouldn’t that be considered cheating to have a varsity starter even dress out JV??? I see why you guys always think your future is so bright. No other school would allow a varsity starter or a player that sees significant time on the varsity court play JV. No wonder your heads are in the clouds!