SEQUOYAH FOOTBALL

red,white,& BLUE

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that he will be able to bring as many as 3 and will have the final say so in who ever his assistants will be. The booster club is putting together an attractive incentive package for the new head coach and assitants. One of the problems in the past is the coaching supplements are lower than some and it left the administration unable to compete. That now has been rectified. The community is starved for improvement. They are determined to hire a quality coach. It is not the same situation to say the least.

Red Chief,

Not trying to stir anything up ... serious question: Can the booster club put together an incentive program for a coach and stay within TSSAA guidelines? I would have thought this would be a violation of some type of rule. Just curious?

If Rathbone applies, I'd recommend taking a serious look at him. Quality guy with a good football background. Great leader.

Red Chief,

Not trying to stir anything up ... serious question: Can the booster club put together an incentive program for a coach and stay within TSSAA guidelines? I would have thought this would be a violation of some type of rule. Just curious?

If Rathbone applies, I'd recommend taking a serious look at him. Quality guy with a good football background. Great leader.

That is a fair question. There will be no rules violated I can assure you that. How would one get in touch wity Mr Rathbone?

Red Chief,

Boosters can help pay a head coach or put together an inncentive package without the approval of the TSSAA. As long as the administration knows and approves of what is done, there is no rule violation.

I will promise you that the top ten to twelve percent of head football coaches in the state earn about twice what the county pays them through booster contributions.

I know one coach who earns the flat $3500 the county pays, plus a local car dealership provides him with a DEMO to drive each year, switching it out every six months with a new one. The local boosters pay him for summer work (about $2500 for work in the field house, cutting grass, etc.) and he also gets a nice Christmas bonus for every win. This sort of thing happens at schools that are succesful and there ain't nothing wrong with it.

Other schools pay extra for weight room duties and some match the head coaching supplement check at the end of the season.

Not to bring up any negative stuff but you guys haven't had a good program except for one year when Meadows was coaching.

What makes you think a coach is going to turn it around?

I will say this, if you think it is all about a lack of coaching then you better find one that knows how to win with less. You guys had better find a man who has been a head coach or former head coach at a program like yours (rural and mostly good ole boys) who has been there and done it before. I'm not sayin yall don't have no talent but you do play in a tough region with lots of talent. Them Hamilton county boys are tough and so is Polk Co.

Not to bring up any negative stuff but you guys haven't had a good program except for one year when Meadows was coaching.

I will say this, if you think it is all about a lack of coaching then you better find one that knows how to win with less. You guys had better find a man who has been a head coach or former head coach at a program like yours (rural and mostly good ole boys) who has been there and done it before. I'm not sayin yall don't have no talent but you do play in a tough region with lots of talent. Them Hamilton county boys are tough and so is Polk Co.

Thats what we're trying to do.The booster club is only 2 years old,but its made alot of strides in the right direction.And by no means is it with less.Got to get a coach to get it out of them.Even this year when we were playing well,we competed.Exsample against HOWARD it was 17 to 14 in the 3rd q and then mistakes were made that killed us.We have has much talent has anyone and with the right man you will see that quickly.

Meadows did a good job with those"good ole boys" what ever that means. Thank you for proving my point,coaching can and does make a difference. After Meadows was a string of unproven coaches with no track record. In that time frame you had one kid now at Furman who has set the NCAA scoring record in a game (six touchdowns), who they say has a real shot at playing on Sundays(not my words but Furman coaches). There is another kid at Wake Forest who would have played extensivley this year as a red shirt freshmen at wide reciever if it were not for a training camp season ending inury. I think we all no what kind season Wake Forest had. There is another kid at Tusculum. A current player being recrutied by several mid majors. To my knowledge "Polk or any of the Hamilton county boys" can't match that over the same time span. So there has been more talent proportional to wins that sir is clear. I do agree 100% a proven head coach is what they need and it is my understanding that several quality head coaches have applied. You couple that with the fact that Sequoyah is I believe the largest school in the region enrollment wise or close to it. I think we all know how important numbers can come into play as far the more kids you have the more athletes you should have as a general rule. The booster club as really got there act together and made tremendous strides the last couple of years. 3000sg ft. state of the art weight room $20.000.00 paid for in the last two years. A new practice facility with sod and irragation $10.000 paid for this year. Computer hardware, software for film analysis and breakdown, dvd duplicator, and video projection system for film breakdown and team study $4000.00 paid for this year. The administration has spent 14,000 on a blocking sled and 60 new uniforms the last two years. Your exactly right "just a coach" is not going to turn it around but as yoiu can see there is more going on at Sequoyah than just hiring the right coach. IMHOP brighter days are on the horizion for the chiefs and I am not a man that is easly convinced of such things.

Redchief,

Not for sure how to cantact Rathbone. I do know his grandparents live in Madisonville. Jack and Shirley Watson. Jack built some furniture for our church. Maybe contact them is all I know.

Thanks fathertime I called Carson Newman and they didn't know for sure, but they did highly recomend him.