Rudesill

Rade Butcher

Some coaches sit down and some coaches are up all the time. There are some quality coaches who are up and barking. It mostly has to do with personality of the coach. Coaches who do their work in practice usually reflects in their team's play. Just take a look a college games to see if the majority are up or sitting down. Sometimes coaches give their teams what they need - times to sit down and shut up and times to get up and bark. I personally like the ones who are up and into the game with the kids but some do take it to far.

To me......this guy's greatness came forward when he got the girls to the state semis a couple of years ago..........this guy can flat out coach. If I were an AD in a program trying to hire a good coach, my first call would be to Mr. Rudesill....... :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the ones that are vocal,up out of their seat all the time,crying to the officials all the time..Seems to me they are more into it..I don't like those stoic coaches..They seem disinterested...Back when Marty Sisco was coaching at UC,people started sitting behind the UC bench(which is on the visitors side of the gym @ UC) just to watch him coach during a timeout..It is still done today with Shane coaching the Tornadoes...

I agree with Not-so-HeavyD..Rudesill's best job,I thought, was when he took his girl's team to the state.....

Edited by backinthaoc

Is he Dan Rudesill? Played college ball at Union in Jackson and still to this day holds records at Union that have never been broken. If that is the one then you will find some coaches that may match his coaching talent but none that will ever surpass it. He coached at Beech Bluff outside Jackson in 1973. I was in 9th grade. I am 48 now, so he must be mid 50's

Rudesill, Russell, Steve Patterson, Willie Tyson and others all for the most part did their work before the season started, much less the night of the game. Their teams for the most part play hard, loose and are physically and mentally pretty tough. They depend on each other and themselves when on the court.

These guys will always be successful. Others put on a show because they want attention. Others call every play off. & def. every time down the court. Those are on a power trip. Neither will be highly successful as they will not mold leaders and the coach doesn't evidently show enough trust in his players or have enough confidence in his practice coaching to trust anything they do in games. Kids see through this and it takes away from the team.

EXCELLENT POINT! The coach that is constantly barking during the games only makes a fool of himself. Practice is where you bark. If you are barking constantly during the games you are either trying to draw attention to yourself or you don't have a clue of how to prepare your team for the game. There is nothing more repulsive than watching a coach get all dressed up, bark for the attention of the fans and think he is the point guard for the team. The psyche of the player is important. A good coach can make an average player look like super man IF he does the right things on the bench and acts like a human. I know Willie was phenomenal ball player, but in my opinion I always thought his shot was suspect and might have been his achilles heel in the beginning. Rudesill's method of coaching got Willie over that mountain. Tyson was awesome also. I will never forget watching some of his teams that had average players play at the next level. Amazing how cool,calm and collected coaches like Tyson/Rudesill have players that play so intensely and aggressively night after night. Genius move on Chism's parents to move to Bolivar when Tyson retired, it paid off big for him. Tyson - Rudesill - priceless.

Edited by hackashaq

Is he Dan Rudesill? Played college ball at Union in Jackson and still to this day holds records at Union that have never been broken. If that is the one then you will find some coaches that may match his coaching talent but none that will ever surpass it. He coached at Beech Bluff outside Jackson in 1973. I was in 9th grade. I am 48 now, so he must be mid 50's

If you're talking about his dad...well, it could be him. I'm just not sure-but from what I know, it's not likely.

I know how old Rick Rudesill is and when he went to Union, and he's not near 50...yet. But I might be wrong about his dad ...it's just the math doesn't seem right between them.

Rudesill did play at Union though, but I think he started coaching at USJ. I think it's good that he likes to teach in the classroom in addition to coaching.

Edited by firefulmer

Rick is the son. If he is half the person his Dad is then he is a great person.

The Jackson-Madison County Sports Hall of Fame honors Dan Rudesill for his basketball and track accomplishments. He also was active as a high school basketball coach and official. Dan has lived in Jackson for many years, and still makes his home here.

Dan played high school basketball, football, and track in Lawrenceville, Illinois from 1961-1965. He lettered in all three sports. His accomplishments on the basketball court included All Conference for two years; All Southern Illinois, All State, and during his senior year, the team advanced to sub-state.

Dan attended Union University from 1965-1969. While at Union University, he excelled in basketball and track. Dan was named All Volunteer State Athletic Conference (VSAC) Team for three years. He was named the VSAC Most Valuable Player, and was on the VSAC All Tournament Team for two years.

Dan played on a Union University basketball team that was NCAA College Division Regional runner-up.

He still holds the Union record for most rebounds in an overtime game, with 31 total rebounds. Dan averaged a double-double in points and rebounds for two years. While at Union University Dan also ran on the track team. He won first place in the high jump in the VSAC championship.

From 1970-1971 , Dan played on the Tri-State Class A basketball League. His accomplishments include being named Most Valuable Player of the League, All Tournament Team, and had a single game scoring record of 72 points.

Dan coached boys and girls varsity basketball and baseball at Beech Bluff High School. He also was the boys and girls varsity basketball coach at Old Hickory Academy for two years.

He was a TSSAA basketball official for seven years, officiating the TSSAA Boys State tournament. Dan also was a VSAC/TCAC basketball official for six years.

He has participated in the Senior Games. In 1999 and 2000, he played on the Tennessee State Championship 3-on-3 basketball team; and in 2001 he played on the team that placed 5th in the National 3-on-3 competition.

Dan makes his home in Jackson. He and his wife, Louise, have one son, Rick. Rick's Bolivar Central High School basketball team just won their second State Basketball Championship beating Raleigh-Egypt 44-40.

Absolutely. David Russell (Bradford/Gibson Co.) is the same way during games - a few instructions here and there, but no barking the whole time and he rarely gets out of his seat. See if you can get into one of these guys' practices if you want to hear their voice or see them up moving around. (Both have laid claim to more than one gold ball by the way.)

[/quote

Just curious , did Russell move from Bradford about 5 years ago?

Rick is the son. If he is half the person his Dad is then he is a great person.

The Jackson-Madison County Sports Hall of Fame honors Dan Rudesill for his basketball and track accomplishments. He also was active as a high school basketball coach and official. Dan has lived in Jackson for many years, and still makes his home here.

Dan played high school basketball, football, and track in Lawrenceville, Illinois from 1961-1965. He lettered in all three sports. His accomplishments on the basketball court included All Conference for two years; All Southern Illinois, All State, and during his senior year, the team advanced to sub-state.

Dan attended Union University from 1965-1969. While at Union University, he excelled in basketball and track. Dan was named All Volunteer State Athletic Conference (VSAC) Team for three years. He was named the VSAC Most Valuable Player, and was on the VSAC All Tournament Team for two years.

Dan played on a Union University basketball team that was NCAA College Division Regional runner-up.

He still holds the Union record for most rebounds in an overtime game, with 31 total rebounds. Dan averaged a double-double in points and rebounds for two years. While at Union University Dan also ran on the track team. He won first place in the high jump in the VSAC championship.

From 1970-1971 , Dan played on the Tri-State Class A basketball League. His accomplishments include being named Most Valuable Player of the League, All Tournament Team, and had a single game scoring record of 72 points.

Dan coached boys and girls varsity basketball and baseball at Beech Bluff High School. He also was the boys and girls varsity basketball coach at Old Hickory Academy for two years.

He was a TSSAA basketball official for seven years, officiating the TSSAA Boys State tournament. Dan also was a VSAC/TCAC basketball official for six years.

He has participated in the Senior Games. In 1999 and 2000, he played on the Tennessee State Championship 3-on-3 basketball team; and in 2001 he played on the team that placed 5th in the National 3-on-3 competition.

Dan makes his home in Jackson. He and his wife, Louise, have one son, Rick. Rick's Bolivar Central High School basketball team just won their second State Basketball Championship beating Raleigh-Egypt 44-40.

I guess it's a good thing I teach Goverment since I can't ADD! My bad rubberduck...I stand corrected on that one. I wasn't really sure, misread the years he was at Union, so I sould have kept my mouth shut. :lol:

Boy, if Rick's dad's did all of that-and I don't doubt you- he sure has some great accomplishments.

I'll say this for his parents, they're great about supprting him at BCHS. Very few games they miss.

If you read this I'm sorry Rick...I thought your Dad's name was Jed. :lol:

Kidding you man...just kidding. :lol:

Edited by firefulmer

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely. David Russell (Bradford/Gibson Co.) is the same way during games - a few instructions here and there, but no barking the whole time and he rarely gets out of his seat. See if you can get into one of these guys' practices if you want to hear their voice or see them up moving around. (Both have laid claim to more than one gold ball by the way.)

Is Russell the same coach that applied for the Lexington job about 5 years ago and the principal did not even acknowledge his application?