Mt. Pleasant vs Lewis Co.

selectedgrain

In repsonse to a much earlier post about Lewis County not playing tougher non-regional opponents. The truth is that very few teams in 3-A or 4-A will play us. Ask Coach Belew in Columbia. We have attempted to schedule Columbia for 4 years. He will not even consider it nor will he scrimmage us. Lawrence County dropped us even though we were one of their best "gate" games of the season. I spoke with several of their staff and they couldn't beleive that the series was discontinued.

The fact is that teams in 3-A and 4-A refuse to play us not because they are scared of us but they do know that there is a decent chance that they will lose the game and a 4-A team losing to a 2-A team does not sit well on a coach's resume. There is nothing to be gained by a Columbia playing us because they would be expected wo win the game and they have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

I would hope that whoever made that statement is not a Mt. Pleasant fan because that belittles the Tigers.

As for the game, I am very happy to see this rivalry renewed. The two teams played for some 50 straight years until the series ended and in the 70's and 80's, it was more often than not that they played each other for the old district crown. It has always been a great, spirited, heavily contested rivalry and no doubt will be so again beginning this year.

And for whatever reason, maybe the fact that the two schools are so close, I seem to know more people from Mt. Pleasant than any nearby surrounding town,. Good luck to both teams in what truly should be a classic matchup.

Donhaney read below. I wasn't dogging out LC. I hope they do well except when they play MP. I just offered my thoughts on how they could improve.

"One thing I have to offer though. Until LC starts playing the toughest competition available for their out of region games they won't improve enough to make it to the state championship game IMO. You can't beat the best until you play the best. I believe that is why MP trys to play up during their non-conference games. That's why we play you, Fairview, and the last 2 years Giles County and Ezell Harding. You guys should really consider playing some 3, 4, or 5A schools. Beating up on 1A schools may give the team much needed confidence but it could also give false confidence. That is where I believe your coach makes his biggest mistake. That being said good luck to you after week zero. I really do wish you the best."

If they want to play with the Goodpastures and DCA's LC should schedule higher classification teams, not 1A teams like MP and WC. They are good teams and should give a decent game but LC is then placed in the same situation as Central, you spoke of, being in a no win situation. If they win they are supposed to.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to take both roads, I read the paper and get as much information as I can from any source possible. I never stated that CoachT was "tacky" at all, the thought of a stat man requesting anyone else other than the coach or another assistant of the team that would take the chance of leaving someone out, that is what gave me the thought of tackiness. Even though he is not considered part of the program, no one at LCHS would think of it as a problem to give a roster. I thought that it would seem a better idea and a better source to come from the program itself. If he takes his job as serious as he should ,that would have been ( IMO ) his first option instead of CoachT. But, that is all my opinion.

This thread has been mostly quarrels between posters anyways, the point of the thread in the first place was to give other fans info on the outcome of the game, I would like to have it all back on track since we are so close to game time.

Sorry if I offened your sorry a** and asked for a roster. It is great to have one so that I can call in the stats to the Tennessean for both teams. I figured someone from Lewis County would help me out and not have to get Coach Sharp involved in it. If I do not have one by next week I will get the mTp coaching staff to get me one some how. All I need is the playesr name & jersey number. I do not care how big they are we will find that out come August 24th.

Sorry if I offened your sorry a** and asked for a roster. It is great to have one so that I can call in the stats to the Tennessean for both teams. I figured someone from Lewis County would help me out and not have to get Coach Sharp involved in it. If I do not have one by next week I will get the mTp coaching staff to get me one some how. All I need is the playesr name & jersey number. I do not care how big they are we will find that out come August 24th.

Well fist,

I am not sorry .. in any way

It's good you have other options or otherwise you wouldn't get anything from me with that kind of attitude. I just hope your players and fans are more respectful than you are. You have just proven my point with your post, which was very tacky. I hope you are teaching students and children better approaches to getting what they need rather than cussing anyone who gives you a hard time.

There is another lesson for Mt. Pleasant we might have to give, a good lesson in Class and Manners.

Have a good day.

Donhaney read below. I wasn't dogging out LC. I hope they do well except when they play MP. I just offered my thoughts on how they could improve.

"One thing I have to offer though. Until LC starts playing the toughest competition available for their out of region games they won't improve enough to make it to the state championship game IMO. You can't beat the best until you play the best. I believe that is why MP trys to play up during their non-conference games. That's why we play you, Fairview, and the last 2 years Giles County and Ezell Harding. You guys should really consider playing some 3, 4, or 5A schools. Beating up on 1A schools may give the team much needed confidence but it could also give false confidence. That is where I believe your coach makes his biggest mistake. That being said good luck to you after week zero. I really do wish you the best."

If they want to play with the Goodpastures and DCA's LC should schedule higher classification teams, not 1A teams like MP and WC. They are good teams and should give a decent game but LC is then placed in the same situation as Central, you spoke of, being in a no win situation. If they win they are supposed to.

I agree with that. I have told Coach Sharp myself over the years that playing down, no matter how good the schools, leaves nothing for us to gain..... except for really good gates.

But, in his defense, there aren't a lot of teams in 3-A or 4-A who want to play us for the same reason. I guess we could try The Academy or Riverdale... and I am not being sarcastic, but I don't think you want to ever schedule any game where you have zero chance of winning.

Well fist,

I am not sorry .. in any way

It's good you have other options or otherwise you wouldn't get anything from me with that kind of attitude. I just hope your players and fans are more respectful than you are. You have just proven my point with your post, which was very tacky. I hope you are teaching students and children better approaches to getting what they need rather than cussing anyone who gives you a hard time.

There is another lesson for Mt. Pleasant we might have to give, a good lesson in Class and Manners.

Have a good day.

I do not need crap form you buddy. I have other options and they have came through. I have a roster and thats all that matters. If you had not run off at the mouth like you did I would have not posted what I did. All I wanted was a Lewis County roster.

Anytime time that you want to try and give me a lesson, come get yeah some. Lessons can go both ways.

Now you have a good day.

I agree with that. I have told Coach Sharp myself over the years that playing down, no matter how good the schools, leaves nothing for us to gain..... except for really good gates.

But, in his defense, there aren't a lot of teams in 3-A or 4-A who want to play us for the same reason. I guess we could try The Academy or Riverdale... and I am not being sarcastic, but I don't think you want to ever schedule any game where you have zero chance of winning.

You guys couldn't try to schedule a 2A powerhouse like Milan, Goodpasture, Smith County, Westmoreland, Huntington, Martin Westiview, or even Alcoa. Spring Hill got Alcoa, why couldn't an established program like Lewis Co? You would know exactly how far you were from a state championship right off the bat. I would try to get #1 in the state in my classification if I were a coach. Then, you would know exactly how far you were from the top.

Lewis Co. vs. Milan would definately be interesting game to follow, or even USJ or JCS. Why not?

Edited by wuzMP63

WOW......unbelievable......two adults.....everyone take a deep breath and lets get back on track about the game itself.

Does MTP have a kicking game?

Adults? Wholder is a junior high basketball waterboy, and grinch is a middleaged weirdo thats like to pick on kids. :roflol:

MtP doesnt usually have a great kick off man. I dont know anout their punter, they rarely use one. :thumb: