Middle School Ref goes CRAZY

pedo_29

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well see, I'M not getting PAID to call a game. Refs ARE being paid to call games.... Here's an example. If I keep making stupid mistakes and messing up at my job, I get fired. If a ref screws up and makes a mistake, people will defend them and say "Well they're only human. Give them a break." But I don't get a break, I get a pink slip.

OK then. How about I come to your place of work, pay the receptionist a few bucks, then sit 10 feet from your desk for the next two hours or so and completely berate you the entire time, telling you how much you stink and how you're a disgrace to your profession? Are you telling me that you never, ever make a mistake in your job that involves an INSTANTANEOUS decision on something that is happening very quickly, and then you don't get a chance to go back and change your mind? When was the last time you saw an official call a foul, walk over to the table and then say, "You know what? I don't think that was a foul. Let's just do that over." He would be crucified for that. At least in football you can pick up a flag; in basketball, once you blow that whistle, you better call something.

If you're that good, then we need you as an official in the most difficult sport to officiate. Since you are obviously above reproach and could not possibly make a mistake while running full speed, trying to watch 10 players while looking over your shoulder, not to mention making sure the clock is running, other weird things aren't going on, etc., you should apply to work in the NBA right now. I hear the pay there is pretty good, not like the $50 or so we get for working two middle school games, or $70 for two varsity games -- which doesn't include expenses such as mileage, equipment, uniform, TSSAA registration dues, local association dues, camps, clinics, etc.

I'm currently a college student and, as such, I don't have a full-time job. I take 12 hours of classes and I have an unpaid internship that requires about 20 hours a week. Therefore, all my income comes from officiating. So I try to work at least 3-4 nights a week. In 2006, between football, baseball, softball, basketball and volleyball, I have officiated a total of 220 contests which encompasses 116 dates. This does not include trips to state and local meetings, camps, clinics, etc. This also includes scrimmages and play-days for which I was not paid. I have put over 4,000 miles on my car this year JUST from officiating. I have also accumulated nearly $1,000 in expenses, not counting mileage. So in the long run, unless you are good enough to move up to the higher levels, the money really isn't that great. And I don't appreciate it when people like you come on here and bash officials because they're getting paid. If I didn't need the money, I'd do it anyway because I truly enjoy being out there, getting exercise and being around the game (not basketball as much as the others, but still).

This guy at the middle school game in question? Yeah, he probably officiates for all the wrong reasons and we don't need his type in the officiating fraternity. But don't judge all of us by the actions of one moron.

OK then. How about I come to your place of work, pay the receptionist a few bucks, then sit 10 feet from your desk for the next two hours or so and completely berate you the entire time, telling you how much you stink and how you're a disgrace to your profession? Are you telling me that you never, ever make a mistake in your job that involves an INSTANTANEOUS decision on something that is happening very quickly, and then you don't get a chance to go back and change your mind? When was the last time you saw an official call a foul, walk over to the table and then say, "You know what? I don't think that was a foul. Let's just do that over." He would be crucified for that. At least in football you can pick up a flag; in basketball, once you blow that whistle, you better call something.

If you're that good, then we need you as an official in the most difficult sport to officiate. Since you are obviously above reproach and could not possibly make a mistake while running full speed, trying to watch 10 players while looking over your shoulder, not to mention making sure the clock is running, other weird things aren't going on, etc., you should apply to work in the NBA right now. I hear the pay there is pretty good, not like the $50 or so we get for working two middle school games, or $70 for two varsity games -- which doesn't include expenses such as mileage, equipment, uniform, TSSAA registration dues, local association dues, camps, clinics, etc.

I'm currently a college student and, as such, I don't have a full-time job. I take 12 hours of classes and I have an unpaid internship that requires about 20 hours a week. Therefore, all my income comes from officiating. So I try to work at least 3-4 nights a week. In 2006, between football, baseball, softball, basketball and volleyball, I have officiated a total of 220 contests which encompasses 116 dates. This does not include trips to state and local meetings, camps, clinics, etc. This also includes scrimmages and play-days for which I was not paid. I have put over 4,000 miles on my car this year JUST from officiating. I have also accumulated nearly $1,000 in expenses, not counting mileage. So in the long run, unless you are good enough to move up to the higher levels, the money really isn't that great. And I don't appreciate it when people like you come on here and bash officials because they're getting paid. If I didn't need the money, I'd do it anyway because I truly enjoy being out there, getting exercise and being around the game (not basketball as much as the others, but still).

This guy at the middle school game in question? Yeah, he probably officiates for all the wrong reasons and we don't need his type in the officiating fraternity. But don't judge all of us by the actions of one moron.

Proud to say your a former student Wes. I also agree on the article which started this thread. My Communications professors wouldn't have approved either.

Proud to say your a former student Wes. I also agree on the article which started this thread. My Communications professors wouldn't have approved either.

Thanks, NWhoopaholic -- you were, after all, the one that helped me get my start in journalism, writing up Jr. Falcon basketball games about 10 years ago! :lol:

Wes, the officials here at home (Maury County) as a whole do a good job (most games seem to be called a lot better when my daughter doesn't play or I don't have a personal interest in it) and we all know which ones aren't up to the challange.

My question is to you:

Does TSSAA require all officials to attend yearly training, if so is it enforced, those that do attend do they improve from it or look at it as something that they wish they weren't attending and does TSSAA do any followups on officials in question?

(I know the above sentence has poor structure and spelling problems so go easy on me)

Thanks

The younger refs are the ones giving the problems..They want to interact with the crowd too much...You see it all the time in junior high games...The older refs or more experienced refs don't have "rabbit ears" for the most part...You've got to expect the crowd yelling at you all night long,that comes with the job...It's the ones that tune all that out that are the good refs...And there are some good ones that do that...What gets me is the refs that don't make the decisive call...I can't stand when a ref blows his whistle and then looks to the other ref for the call or is way out of position and the one standing right there looking doesn't blow his whistle..I can stand a bad call if the ref makes a definitive gesture or motion and doesn't have any hesitation when he makes the call....

I know it's a hard job and only men or women that love the game,for the most part,are doing it...You couldn't pay me enough money to do it..I don't have the patience or temperament for it....I'd probably be THAT guy in the article... :lol:

As a Coach, I can say that for the most part, in East Tn., the officials do a decent job. We have some that do it for extra income after retirement. That is OK except for the fact that some of them are out of touch with current play. They call walks because the player or play has an odd movement to it. (We have a player that makes a lot of pivots and the shoots a fade away.) Then you do have a couple that are just bad. Those few are the ones that give the whole a bad name. We are single A and it seems that those few are calling single A all the time. I have never blamed a loss on a referee, so usually I don't fuss. Two out of the three are most often good and calls balance out for and against you throughout the game.

I don't have a dog in this particular hunt, but you know wes, i admire you working your way thru school. But, you must remember that when you suit up for a game, you must be expecting to get heckled some, aren't you? You are getting paid to do a job, right? That goes with the territory. Yes, I agree this one apple is spoiling the bushel, but in the real world, there are bosses out there that tell people how poor of a job they are doing. It is not just for referees. Yes, we all make mistakes, and like Coach Shelton said, it all balances itself out, usually.

As for your expenses, well, I'm sorry, there are other part time jobs out there. That money you make is pretty good, 25 to 35 bucks an hour? That's fine as long as you are there for the right reasons(which sounds like you are). But, my friend, I for one believe you are out numbered. Most are there for the pay and thats it.

I have two daughters, who both play middle school basketball, and it matters to them, their teammates, the parents, and the coaches to see a basketball game officiated in a professional manner. This particular person did not do that and they are more like him that do not get wrote up in the local papers. It appears to me and many more that referees are there just to see how fast they can get back home.

I wish you luck and hope you don't become this type, as you have said, we don't need!

The younger refs are the ones giving the problems..They want to interact with the crowd too much...You see it all the time in junior high games...The older refs or more experienced refs don't have "rabbit ears" for the most part...You've got to expect the crowd yelling at you all night long,that comes with the job...It's the ones that tune all that out that are the good refs...And there are some good ones that do that...What gets me is the refs that don't make the decisive call...I can't stand when a ref blows his whistle and then looks to the other ref for the call or is way out of position and the one standing right there looking doesn't blow his whistle..I can stand a bad call if the ref makes a definitive gesture or motion and doesn't have any hesitation when he makes the call....

I know it's a hard job and only men or women that love the game,for the most part,are doing it...You couldn't pay me enough money to do it..I don't have the patience or temperament for it....I'd probably be THAT guy in the article... :blink:

Apparently you don't know Ricky Hammonds (from Dyersburg) - I've seen him call several games over the past few years - there's almost ALWAYS a technical foul involved.

Bigwes68 wrote,

I hear the pay there is pretty good, not like the $50 or so we get for working two middle school games, or $70 for two varsity games -

. In 2006, between football, baseball, softball, basketball and volleyball, I have officiated a total of 220 contests which encompasses 116 dates. This does not include trips to state and local meetings, camps, clinics, etc. This also includes scrimmages and play-days for which I was not paid. I have put over 4,000 miles on my car this year JUST from officiating. I have also accumulated nearly $1,000 in expenses, not counting mileage. So in the long run, unless you are good enough to move up to the higher levels, the money really isn't that great.

If you take an average of $60 per night and assume you work 5 hours per night, including travel, take your 116 dates and 220 contest and turn that into 8 hour days for 360 days, and it works about to be about $66,000 a year. Pretty good pay for a part time job. I am tired of hearing about how underpaid officials are. How many other jobs could you do where you could make $20-$30/hour and have complete power while you are working.

I agree it is a hard job and I would not want to do it, but if you CHOOSE to be an official you know what you are getting into.

I also understand that most officials are good, but as the saying goes, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

I think the problem most people have is that there is no accountability with officials. If this article is true, then that official was able to completely determine the outcome of a game and there was nothing that anyone could do about it.

I guarantee you that if you checked the best officials in the state give out less technicals than everyone else. Bad officials give T's to compensate for bad calls and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I know i will get raped by some officials on here for writing this, but oh well, i guess it will feel good for them to dish it some.lol

Edited by pffan