McMinn BOys

red&bluebasketballguy

WHy should McMinn pad their win lose record with teams they are going to be playing in the Lenoir City Christmas tourn? The coach should be very proud of how much they win by. Maybe this will be put in the paper to boost his coach ratings? (not). I hate it for the basketball players since this is a good time for them to get better by playing better teams. Instead they will win by 30 points each of the games. Come on coach........ :(

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, why not take your kids to place they will be tested every game? Unless you really need 20 wins to keep your job a little longer.

I am glad you do agree with me. Most of the parents do agree with our statements but since you have great talent and not so much at the coaching level, the coach has to pad the win/lose record. McMinn, year-in and year-out have the most talent on any of their teams in their district but have to play the half court game to make sure their coach doesnt get mad. I wished he would go home one or two games and let the kids play ball. This half court ball will kill you in the district play and if you get out of the district the region will eat you up playing half court slow ball. The team is only as good as the coach. Talent will get you far but you have to have someone that knows basketball to lead them in the right direction. Playing teams like he is sending them to this Christmas tourn is a big mistake. Play better talent and your kids level of play will be on the same level. You play your level of talent you are playing against. :blink:

WHy should McMinn pad their win lose record with teams they are going to be playing in the Lenoir City Christmas tourn? The coach should be very proud of how much they win by. Maybe this will be put in the paper to boost his coach ratings? (not). I hate it for the basketball players since this is a good time for them to get better by playing better teams. Instead they will win by 30 points each of the games. Come on coach........ :blink:

What teams are they playing in this tournament?

McMinn will get one game that should be somewhat challenging. Mcminn Central opted to not play them and as a result Lenoir City will be taking their place. Lenoir City won't be a push over for the tribe. I cannot figure out why Central would cower out of a matchup with the Cherokees. I guess Coach Armstrong, now that he has lost all of his talent, can't handle the other side. Good luck Panthers.

Edited by Jesus Is Lord

Why should they play Central again? Paper said tonite if Central wanted to play a third time they would play them here again where we could keep the money. Who wants to travel and play the same teams again. Besides we beat Central by a good margin the first time, so how is that raising the competition level.

The girls are playing in a much better tournament this year after playing in Midway tournament (small schools) for a couple of years.

Big school should play competitive big schools unless a smaller school is loaded that year.

I hope this isn't an annual type event for you.I wish Humboldt could go out & play in different tournaments but we get stuck in the county tournament every year.Humboldt will beat the Gibson County-Bradford winner by 30 in the semis & will beat the Trenton-Milan winner by 15+ in the championship game.I'd like to see the Vikings in the Dyersburg tournament but the school admins wouldn't think of it.

I am glad you do agree with me. Most of the parents do agree with our statements but since you have great talent and not so much at the coaching level, the coach has to pad the win/lose record. McMinn, year-in and year-out have the most talent on any of their teams in their district but have to play the half court game to make sure their coach doesnt get mad. I wished he would go home one or two games and let the kids play ball. This half court ball will kill you in the district play and if you get out of the district the region will eat you up playing half court slow ball. The team is only as good as the coach. Talent will get you far but you have to have someone that knows basketball to lead them in the right direction. Playing teams like he is sending them to this Christmas tourn is a big mistake. Play better talent and your kids level of play will be on the same level. You play your level of talent you are playing against. :thumb:

Is this all you have to talk about. It seems like every year about this time people start talking about how bad of a coach Keith Elliott is. Again, I don't think you know his track record. All but one year of his head coaching career has he failed to make it to the region tournament. And no, McMinn County doesn't have some of the best talent in the district year in and year out. Bradley and Cleveland do. That is obvious. McMinn has had some good talent, but not nearly what these other two do. In response to the comment about parents: Parents are the entire problem of high school athletics today. If they would keep their mouths shut and let the kids play and coaches coach, then there would be fewer problems for all. And by the way, I don't recall Coach Elliott throwing the ball away in the last 30 seconds against Red Bank to lose the game in the region semi-finals last year. If it hadn't have been for that bone-head play, McMinn would have been playing in the sub-state for the first time since '91. Get back to me at the end of the year when McMinn is playing in the region semi-finals AGAIN!!!

Is this all you have to talk about. It seems like every year about this time people start talking about how bad of a coach Keith Elliott is. Again, I don't think you know his track record. All but one year of his head coaching career has he failed to make it to the region tournament. And no, McMinn County doesn't have some of the best talent in the district year in and year out. Bradley and Cleveland do. That is obvious. McMinn has had some good talent, but not nearly what these other two do. In response to the comment about parents: Parents are the entire problem of high school athletics today. If they would keep their mouths shut and let the kids play and coaches coach, then there would be fewer problems for all. And by the way, I don't recall Coach Elliott throwing the ball away in the last 30 seconds against Red Bank to lose the game in the region semi-finals last year. If it hadn't have been for that bone-head play, McMinn would have been playing in the sub-state for the first time since '91. Get back to me at the end of the year when McMinn is playing in the region semi-finals AGAIN!!!

This is to funny, I have ro reply to this. First, McMinn has great talent every year and it seems to me that if the coach was a basketball coach he would see also. Ok,ok, now his track record, If all he is wanting to do is make the regional each year then he does not think his kids are that good anyway. Bone-headed play calling is a give-me to this team. He has a great team and has had them for a long time but hey,,, when you hear the play Eagle about a-half dozen times in the game you begin to wonder if there is someone that knows any other play. The coach as a person is a good man but he needs to be on the football feild not the basketball court. People that just like to go to the semi-finals each year do not think highly of their basketball team do coach? Besides, the only way to better your team is better teams to play against to get ready for your district and region. Hey, I guess playing the teams they are playing in the Lenior City tourn will get them ready!!??? I really didn't know that McMinn hasn't been to the sub-state since 91,,, you just explained everything to me there... . :lol:

Have to question the importance of the region stats. Until Walker Valley (now making six) only 5 teams were in the district with four automatically going so unless you were really bad you would go to the region. If there were 8 or 10 teams that would be something to brag about.

Kind of like football where teams with losing records make the playoff rounds. :thumb:

Redandbluebasketballguy.......makes an excellent point. Until 2 years ago there were only 5 teams in the district. So how can you applaud a coach for making the region tournament during that time when 4 out of the 5 make it to the region? You need to wake up! I can't argue that Bradley's had more talent than McMinn over the last few years.....they have had the most talent of any team in the area over the last several years. But to say Cleveland has had more talent than McMinn each year is wrong! Lets take last year......Cleveland started 5 guards (Alex Goldston at Hiwassee is the only one that is currently playing in college), and beat McMinn 2 out of 3 times last year. This year McMinn has a ton more talent that Cleveland, and Cleveland has already beat them once already. If you can find someone that thinks Cleveland has more talent that McMinn (this year or last) PLEASE LET me know because they need their head examined along with yours. Cleveland has had 1 D1 player (Charles Little) over the last several years (and you see where they went with him....2006 State Tournament). Juan (sp?) Smith's senior year (by the way who is currently averaging close to 14 pts a game at Tennessee) McMinn County only won 1 District game during the regular season. I think he was a little talented (laughing), and to be honest they had some quality support players during that time as well. I am not responding on here to bash Coach Elliot, but to respond to your comments about the talent level at McMinn County over the last several years, and to disagree with your comment about McMinn County's region appearances.

I hope this isn't an annual type event for you.I wish Humboldt could go out & play in different tournaments but we get stuck in the county tournament every year.Humboldt will beat the Gibson County-Bradford winner by 30 in the semis & will beat the Trenton-Milan winner by 15+ in the championship game.I'd like to see the Vikings in the Dyersburg tournament but the school admins wouldn't think of it.

I believe this was the worst prediction I have ever made.Hats off to Milan for sweeping the event & Gibson County for their solid performance in the tourney.