Father Ryan Invitational

TheFisherman

Congrats to Ensworth. I thought that their kids (what few they had) looked really good.

Where did most of them learn to wrestle?

What is their coaches back ground?

Their 152 should be fun to watch at D-II State.

Rigger:

Their head coach is Johnny Rich, who wrestled for Frank Simpson at MBA and was a state champion at 189, I think, in 1996 (1997?) . He wrestled four years in college at UNC, then returned to Nashville. He was the head coach at JPII in their first year before leaving to take the head coach job at the new Ensworth School. Their kids probably wrestled in middle school in the HVAC at the schools that feed Ensworth.

Edited by BuckLateral

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Ensworth. I thought that their kids (what few they had) looked really good.

Where did most of them learn to wrestle?

What is their coaches back ground?

Their 152 should be fun to watch at D-II State.

Yes, Johnny Rich is the head coach but one of the Garfinkle brothers (not sure which one) is now in the room working with the wrestlers. This seems to have had a major influence on the wrestlers and their skill level.

Father Ryan Invitational Final Team Standings

1. Father Ryan 231.5

2. Christian Brothers 187.5

3. MBA 163

4. Brentwood Acad. 161.5

5. Franklin 141.5

6. Overton 111.5

7. Houston 107.5

8. Kenwood 107

9. Ben Russel AL. 102.5

10 McCallie 101.5

11.Brentwood 95

12 Glencliff 91

13 Hendersonville 84.5

14 Mt. Juliet 81

15 Collierville 77

16 FRA 76

17 Greenback 75

18 Ft. Campbell KY. 72

19 Knox. Webb 63

20 Ensworth 60

21 Dickson Co 51

22 Knox. Farragut 49

23 Briarcrest 27.5

24 SAS 21

25 Knox. Catholic 17.5

26 Mem. St Georges 17

27 Nashville Chr. 6

Top Teams

Ryan

Christian Brothers

MBA

BA

What I remember right off hand...

103 1stOverton 2nd Backi

112 Alabama kid pinned TJ Duncan

125 Ortiz

130 Ryan

135 Cash dec over Bellet

140 Goss

145 Felix

160 Brandon Wright?

171 Chritian Brother dec over Bateman

215 Demsey decision over MBA

285 Ryan

Did the Young twins from McCallie wrestle?

Video highlights of the championship matches are now up for viewing. Sorry it took so long but I didn't wake up until 11:30 (started encoding at 4:30 AM).

Let me know how they look

Dean

PS: Also will be covering the MBA vs Ryan on Jan 26th

Edited by www.schoolsportsradio.com

Father Ryan Invitational Final Team Standings

1. Father Ryan 231.5

2. Christian Brothers 187.5

3. MBA 163

4. Brentwood Acad. 161.5

5. Franklin 141.5

6. Overton 111.5

7. Houston 107.5

8. Kenwood 107

9. Ben Russel AL. 102.5

10 McCallie 101.5

11.Brentwood 95

12 Glencliff 91

13 Hendersonville 84.5

14 Mt. Juliet 81

15 Collierville 77

16 FRA 76

17 Greenback 75

18 Ft. Campbell KY. 72

19 Knox. Webb 63

20 Ensworth 60

21 Dickson Co 51

22 Knox. Farragut 49

23 Briarcrest 27.5

24 SAS 21

25 Knox. Catholic 17.5

26 Mem. St Georges 17

27 Nashville Chr. 6

Thank you for posting team standings .

I agree with rigger the 103 match was between Noman and the Greenback kid.Keep an eye on him, for an eighth grader he is AWSOME. Sergio looked good at 152 . Darius looked strong against Bateman. Some one needs to list top 10 teams had to leave don't know where every one else finished or list all team standings please.

Hey d45, I have a question for U.

When did Glencliff start wearing Overton colors?

I know when I went against the Colts, their color were red, light blue and white.

When did it change to red and black?

Hey d45, I have a question for U.

When did Glencliff start wearing Overton colors?

I know when I went against the Colts, their color were red, light blue and white.

When did it change to red and black?

They broke those singlets out about 4 years ago. Adding black was/is a trend in sports uniforms. Father Ryan is wearing black and even have predominately black mats. White Station (green and white) wore black singlets about 7 years ago. Our colors have always been black, silver and an accent of red. From my standpoint I don't like seeing other schools adopt/use black just for its cool factor, but it is the coache's and administration's choice for their teams wear whatever they want on the mat. As a Hendersonville parent (black and gold) I hope you can see my side of the argument.

Rigger,

Who is that Turner kid wrestling for Hendersonville? Could it be? Did he decide to get back on the mat? Of course you were there to see the Glencliff singlets so I am certain the I am making the right connection.

Edited by CoachDelgado

They broke those singlets out about 4 years ago. Adding black was/is a trend in sports uniforms. Father Ryan is wearing black and even have predominately black mats. White Station (green and white) wore black singlets about 7 years ago. Our colors have always been black, silver and an accent of red. From my standpoint I don't like seeing other schools adopt/use black just for its cool factor, but it is the coache's and administration's choice for their teams wear whatever they want on the mat. As a Hendersonville parent (black and gold) I hope you can see my side of the argument.

Rigger,

Who is that Turner kid wrestling for Hendersonville? Could it be? Did he decide to get back on the mat? Of course you were there to see the Glencliff singlets so I am certain the I am making the right connection.

Thanks, for the input. Icould handle the black if that ugly blue was a part of the uniform. At least FR has the purple in their black.

U were busy everytime I walked buy. Talked to Mr Turner from Houston after my sons match against the Houston 130. U have some great folks from that part of the state.

BTW- It was nice seeing some of the teams graduated former State Champs/finalist at the FR Tourney. I saw Nick Reveiz from Farrragut, Borneman from Houston, Turner from Farragut and I'm sure there were a few other's that I missed. I'm glad to see some of these young men still coming out and giving back to the sport.

Edited by rigger101