AAU vs. High School Ball

philtenn

OUCH to Salty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I don't know if eliteball and salty know each other and have a history or not. But, in all fairness, the thing that salty shows about the tryouts doesn't have anything on their that tells players not to come if they are still playing hs ball. And how do you know which ones to let tryout or not.

I don't have anything against aau. It's just what i see. I don't mean anything by this.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if eliteball and salty know each other and have a history or not. But, in all fairness, the thing that salty shows about the tryouts doesn't have anything on their that tells players not to come if they are still playing hs ball. And how do you know which ones to let tryout or not.

I don't have anything against aau. It's just what i see. I don't mean anything by this.

I have no grudge with Salty, just firing it back at him. As to the tryouts, we do want the players to come, but they are asked if their high school season is complete. If they are still playing, the coaches try to go see them play. We will spell that out more specifically in our information this year, good idea memphisbball4me.

Icsmithson, I respectfully disagree with you that players are mostly recruited from high school ball. Coaches do go to high school games, but it is mostly to see kids they have seen in AAU or exposure tournaments. That's not only my opinion but what I have been told by many college coaches. Certainly if you are a phenomenal talent they will hear about you, but most kids are first discovered in the summer exposure events, either AAU Nationals or exposure events. I totally agree with you that the girls who are successful continue to work on their skills and athleticism. Summer ball is a part of that, but they still need a good off season conditioning program. That is what many of our girls do August-October.

Edited by elitebball

I have no grudge with Salty, just firing it back at him. As to the tryouts, we do want the players to come, but they are asked if their high school season is complete. If they are still playing, the coaches try to go see them play. We will spell that out more specifically in our information this year, good idea memphisbball4me.

Icsmithson, I respectfully disagree with you that players are mostly recruited from high school ball. Coaches do go to high school games, but it is mostly to see kids they have seen in AAU or exposure tournaments. That's not only my opinion but what I have been told by many college coaches. Certainly if you are a phenomenal talent they will hear about you, but most kids are first discovered in the summer exposure events, either AAU Nationals or exposure events. I totally agree with you that the girls who are successful continue to work on their skills and athleticism. Summer ball is a part of that, but they still need a good off season conditioning program. That is what many of our girls do August-October.

well i guess we dont agree but everyone has an opinion. but like you i have had college coaches tell me the opposite that they recruit from the schools. so I guess each coach in college has different ideas about recruiting.

well i guess we dont agree but everyone has an opinion. but like you i have had college coaches tell me the opposite that they recruit from the schools. so I guess each coach in college has different ideas about recruiting.

I think time and money factor in to it as well. It is so much easier to see a bunch of kids in one place at one time, as opposed to travelling around to see 1 or 2 kids. The NCAA restrictions also limit how many times they can see an individual kid, and you have to remember that their own college seasons are going on during the high school season, so that limits them as well.

The Shelbyville mens team (2nd in the state last year) had two guys playing for them (Stewart and Twilley) that were not on the radar until their high school senior year. I don't know if they played AAU ball or not but I know it was their high school season that sealed the deal....not AAU. I have also noticed that teams that go deep into the tournaments get extra exposure and extra looks from college recruiters.

In no way am I saying AAU is not front and center for exposure to kids. But I am saying it is possible not to be an AAU 'stud' and still get looks during the high school season.

The Shelbyville mens team (2nd in the state last year) had two guys playing for them (Stewart and Twilley) that were not on the radar until their high school senior year. I don't know if they played AAU ball or not but I know it was their high school season that sealed the deal....not AAU. I have also noticed that teams that go deep into the tournaments get extra exposure and extra looks from college recruiters.

In no way am I saying AAU is not front and center for exposure to kids. But I am saying it is possible not to be an AAU 'stud' and still get looks during the high school season.

I agree. High school kids can get seen at the state tournaments and the high profile holiday tournaments.

Alot of it is also the difference in recruiting boys and girls I think..........

to add to this ...dont forget that some of these girls have been been playing AAU and some jr. pro.. 2 to 3 yrs before school ball is even available in their area ...which lends them to become just as loyal to their AAU as they are to their school.....also what about the conflict of travel softball and other sports with which ever you choose is more important...in all fairness the debate is neither right nor wrong ...it depends on the individual situations......some school coaches hate AAU some imbrace it

I think everyone agrees that you should not have to pick between high school and AAU, and like a few others have said, you can definitely do both.

I have experience in both high school and AAU, and to be honest, AAU was much better for my development. The level of competition is much greater, and the talent that you play along with is better, too.

Although high school helps with recruiting, AAU seems to get you out on the radar much better. At State and National tournaments, their are scouts everywhere.

I love high school basketball, but I think AAU helps more with skill level and exposure to other parts of the basketball world.

Out of our whole AAU team, over half went on to play college ball; in high school there were only one or two...and the colleges weren't near as good.

A real coach knows. The winningest coach knows. Quote from October 19, 2006 CSTV.com.

Knight also came out strong against AAU summer league basketball.

"I think the thing that hurts the college recruit the most is AAU basketball," Knight said. "A recruit plays at 7:00 in the morning and gets beat. He plays again at 1 in the afternoon and gets beat. He plays at 4 right after that and loses again, and he's got to play more games tomorrow. It becomes more about playing basketball than it does playing basketball and winning. You've got to play in the summer. But you should play in your hometown with your friends and teammates, and you'll play because you like to play and it's something you want to do."

I think everyone agrees that you should not have to pick between high school and AAU, and like a few others have said, you can definitely do both.

I have experience in both high school and AAU, and to be honest, AAU was much better for my development. The level of competition is much greater, and the talent that you play along with is better, too.

Although high school helps with recruiting, AAU seems to get you out on the radar much better. At State and National tournaments, their are scouts everywhere.

I love high school basketball, but I think AAU helps more with skill level and exposure to other parts of the basketball world.

Out of our whole AAU team, over half went on to play college ball; in high school there were only one or two...and the colleges weren't near as good.

what difference does it make if the college is considered good enough. the most important part is getting a degree because when all is said and done basketball will end for most players after college and then they have to go to work.

A real coach knows. The winningest coach knows. Quote from October 19, 2006 CSTV.com.

Knight also came out strong against AAU summer league basketball.

"I think the thing that hurts the college recruit the most is AAU basketball," Knight said. "A recruit plays at 7:00 in the morning and gets beat. He plays again at 1 in the afternoon and gets beat. He plays at 4 right after that and loses again, and he's got to play more games tomorrow. It becomes more about playing basketball than it does playing basketball and winning. You've got to play in the summer. But you should play in your hometown with your friends and teammates, and you'll play because you like to play and it's something you want to do."

Salty, was Knight talking about girls basketball? Because there is a difference. Also, not all AAU programs are alike.

Whatever happened to you and AAU really must have been bad. I'm sorry for your experience. I've got to say my experience with AAU is nothing like that. It's one of the best experiences my family has had. The people, the relationships, the competition, the team work with the coaches and fellow parents - it's been great - not perfect, but still great. My daughter has and will continue to benefit from her 5 years in AAU. It's worked for us. I hope you found what works for you.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Like a lot of the posters, I believe that participating in both high school and AAU is the best route.

Edited by philtenn