Coaches Humiliating Players

papatiger

How do you know that the player was humiliated? You act as if you interviewed the player post-game and asked him. Simply put, anybody that has spent time on the sideline of any sport knows everyone ticks differently, and it's the good coaches that know how to get their players to respond. I've seen Dickson's coach a few times, and I've never seen him do anything remotely out of line. Just because you are uncomfortable with his reaction doesn't make it wrong.

Verbal abuse is sometimes more damaging than physical abuse. When adults use verbal abuse to publically undress a kid , it is time to ask that adult to resign from their position of authority. Coaches and teachers "should" be held to a higher level of conduct. After all they should be the "example"adult ,not the problem child.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Termite

What is humiliation? I tend to think it is like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. Is humiliation embarresment? If it is, where do you draw the line? Coaches motivate their players in different ways. I trust the coach knows each player and what it takes to motivate that player. There will be times throughout that players life where he will be humiliated. Life is tough. Part of playing sports is to learn some lessons that can/will be used long after High School. Teamwork, how to win, how to loose, how to handle failure,success, embarresment, humilation and the list goes on and on. If getting yelled at and stared at on a High School Basketball court is as bad as it gets.....life will be good. Remember....(hopefully)....the coach knows his players and what it takes to "push their buttons"

Coaches and teachers "should" be held to a higher level of conduct. After all they should be the "example"adult ,not the problem child.

I understand the idea, but I have a huge problem with this. My first reaction is "WHY?". NO, PARENTS should be the "example adult". Yes, we should be the same example, but were do we get off holding coaches (and teachers) to a higher standard thatn the family, banker, butcher, or gas station attendant. "Hey kids, you can act any way you want as long as you don't become a coach, teacher, or clergy!".

Define the boundaries of the teacher/pupil relationship and if a kid steps over the boundary, then the kid should know what to expect. If the teacher steps over that boundary, then they should expect a visit from the parents.

I agree, but defining that boundary is impossible without allienating many great coaches who have and do put students first.

Verbal abuse is sometimes more damaging than physical abuse. When adults use verbal abuse to publically undress a kid , it is time to ask that adult to resign from their position of authority.

I believe when you demean the student, you've gone to far. But chewing a kid for his/her play, actions, or attitude... grow thick skin! Sometimes as a parent you have to back the coach over your own kid. Face it, your kid is going to get his feelings hurt. Make him tough it out.

There is a place for discipline and it is practice. You will be more productive as a coach by being positive.

Discipline when the problem occurs. Not later. A child makes a mistake, you punish them then, not later. Later and the child might not remember or understand fully the reason for the punishment or why what they did was wrong.

You can't always be positive but you can always be honest and choose your words wisely to be productive.

I don't disagree mightymac. I think it's human nature for parents to see their children through rose colored lenses in alot of instances. It's not alienating a teacher/coach to communicate with them. I'm not saying to go about it in a confrontational manner, but to air any concerns and work them out. At the same time, the parents should be communicating with the child about what the teacher/coach is trying to get out of them by their methods of motivation. A pat on the butt or a kick in the rear is all a matter of perception. :(

Whats next? Parents can't spank their kids because it hurts their confidence? All kids need a good chewing out regardless of todays liberal ethics. I bet you people were mad when Bobby Knight tapped his players chin up earlier this year too? You screw up on the court you should hear about it until you get the point. You dont want that? Dont screw up

i agree ...high schoolers have their own agendas these days, parents too ....basketball is not a required course ...you have the option to do something else ,like get a job or study for the ACT...

If coaches are going to humiliate players they should be consistent across the board. Coaches have the tendency to point out certain players, or their bench players. This can intimadate them and they play even worse. There really is no need in humiliating anyone that is doing their best. If they are not, take them out.

I agree with most of you when you say as long as its not physical abuse its fine.Kids today have it 5x easier today,when it comes to sports.Back in the day:water breaks weren't mandatory,the common coach loved to yell,and practices could be year round.Everyone here,probably 40 and older knows that,plus some things I left out.I like a coach like Bob Knight who will teach a kid discipline and life lessons.Coaches that are layed back tend to lose too many games and their kids usually stay in trouble.

Here's another question:

Would YOU let your kid play for Bobby Knight?

I would have no problem,he has great goals:graduate kids and win.As long as he didn't cross the line (physical abuse) any coach can coach my kids.

If coaches are going to humiliate players they should be consistent across the board. Coaches have the tendency to point out certain players, or their bench players. This can intimadate them and they play even worse. There really is no need in humiliating anyone that is doing their best. If they are not, take them out.

Once a kid leave Pee-Wee and parent coaches,they should take a chewing out and not cry about it and if the parents don't like it,they can take their kid somewhere else.

But this day and time,we cry to administration and get great coaches fired because "Little Johnny" sits the bench but once he gets on the court,he can't rebound or even shoot.We whine because coach didn't do the way we coached them in Jr. Pro.

NEWSFLASH:From Jr. High up,most of you don't have an option to coach your kid.Again,you don't like a coach,take your kid somewhere else.

I'm sorry but if a coach uses humiliation as a coaching tool, he has no business coaching. There is a huge difference between humiliation and discipline. I absolutely believe in strict discipline and sometimes that may require raising your voice. But degrading and humiliating a kid has no place in sports. I don't care how many of you tough love parents and coaches are out there, I've seen too many great players shut down because the coach humiliated them. I was told once by a coach that I have great respect for that he always told his players don't embarass or humiliate me and I will never do the same to you. I always used that as a guide in my coaching. Coaches that humiliate their players rarely if ever will ever get the maximum performance out of their players.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.