why is coffee county so bad this year

safety

From an outsider who has been to a few games I have a hard time understanding what you think the coach could do differently. There is no question the players are playing with alot of character. It would be easy for them to throw in the towel and quit. I haven't seen them quitting. What would you do different if you were coaching?

why dont you answer the question what would you do different?? you sound like a real good arm chair QB.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why dont you answer the question what would you do different?? you sound like a real good arm chair QB.

it doesn't take a "paid" coach to realize that you have to go into each game with the openmindedness to know that some players don't always perform to their utmost all of the time. In those situations why not keep the playmakers in, even if it is not always politically correct. I have seen too many times guys that are doing great get pulled and someone not at their peak on that night playing. Of course I am sure my idea of great and off peak are probably different, but I hear this same complaint from others in the stands. There is a lot of talent at coffee county unfortunately not all are given the opportunity to showcase their talent.

it doesn't take a "paid" coach to realize that you have to go into each game with the openmindedness to know that some players don't always perform to their utmost all of the time. In those situations why not keep the playmakers in, even if it is not always politically correct. I have seen too many times guys that are doing great get pulled and someone not at their peak on that night playing. Of course I am sure my idea of great and off peak are probably different, but I hear this same complaint from others in the stands. There is a lot of talent at coffee county unfortunately not all are given the opportunity to showcase their talent.

Before you start bashing the cc high school coaches of any sport and talk about bringing in a new coach we should talk about the feeder programs. Most kids coming into the high school have not been taught basic fundamentals and high school coaches are behind other programs because they are doing what should have already been taught. Example: you have a 6 foot 11 inch kid that didn't even make the team in middle school, then you have a city system that is more concerned about keeping their numbers up to keep a 9th grade program instead of looking at the student athletes best interest. Even if those kids play at the high school in the 9th grade they are considerably behind from the other students. Then you have a principal that won't tell his 9th grade girls about tryouts for cheerleading he would rather keep them at his school to cheer for 7th & 8th graders and discourages all kids from participating at the high school. That's messed up if you ask me. Bottom line: high school coaches have their hands tied as long as they can't have control of their feeder programs or at least have some say in it. You could bring in Bruce Pearl and if he doesn't have control of his feeder programs he will always be playing catch up. You have to correct the problems before they get to the high school.

Before you start bashing the cc high school coaches of any sport and talk about bringing in a new coach we should talk about the feeder programs. Most kids coming into the high school have not been taught basic fundamentals and high school coaches are behind other programs because they are doing what should have already been taught. Example: you have a 6 foot 11 inch kid that didn't even make the team in middle school, then you have a city system that is more concerned about keeping their numbers up to keep a 9th grade program instead of looking at the student athletes best interest.

Lets discuss the feeder programs: Youth basketball has gone from Saturday morning league where you pay a fee, get a shirt and get high school players coaching kids for about an hour once a week on Saturday. Really just go and play with no fundamentals being taught, 4th and 5th grade at the schools system with either a teacher or parent coaching and practicing with the kids two days a week. Probalby basic fundamentals? Next comes: No more Saturday morning league just 4th thru 6th grade under the Rec Center with a board inclucing Coach Taylor. Idea to get more kids involved?? Less will play now than before because only so many will make a school team. Today: Back to the school run teams under the Rec Center and the same old board. In the whole process did you see anything about a coach's clinic or a program to teach fundamentals? Could have been made mandatory to attend. (not meetings) Perfect time to control a feederprogram?? The 6' 11" player did not even try out at middle school. I will agree that the two school systems should work together but, the coach has to put forth the effort for the feeder program not just sit by and blame a system. For years he (Taylor) had a pitiful freshman coach alot of the blame should be placed at that level also. 95% of the players on the team today have played at the middle school level. The real problem has something to do with the fact that not all players on the team get the same chance to play as say a buddies kid? Cricket explain that to all of us.

Edited by safety

Guest dare_2_dream

In order for Coffee County to be successful, they need to score more points than the opponent does. Once they do this, they will be fine and wins will come their way.

Safety I'm pretty sure Robbie did in fact try out for the middle school team

He did play on the 6th grade team but, feel pretty sure that did not try out for the 7th and 8th grade team either year. The same middle school coach is this their, sure he would tell you if he did or not.

I'd assume safety must not have gotten any PT or his son didn't. All of the coaches there have forgotten more about basketball than you ever knew. A mandatory clinic? Yeah that will work because as you know, 4th-7th graders will retain so much from 1 weekend per year. You are right though about the amount of play-practice they receive. Hard to find gym time when everyone else in the county puts in for it, not only at the HS but also at the MS & Rec center. Its not like baseball, soccer, etc when you have all day & summer when their leagues play.

I'd assume safety must not have gotten any PT or his son didn't. All of the coaches there have forgotten more about basketball than you ever knew. A mandatory clinic? Yeah that will work because as you know, 4th-7th graders will retain so much from 1 weekend per year. You are right though about the amount of play-practice they receive. Hard to find gym time when everyone else in the county puts in for it, not only at the HS but also at the MS & Rec center. Its not like baseball, soccer, etc when you have all day & summer when their leagues play.

"forgotten more basketball"? now let's don't get carried overboard there fuzby.....

It can't be the fact that the team has lost more than they have won year after year under the present coach. Crowd support is down, even the student section is all but gone. Always has to be about PT. Sorry your wrong about that. Have no kids playing any sports at school. The clinic that I was referring to would be for the coaches that coach at the different levels. Your are right about one thing, the coach has forgot more about basketball than all in Springfield.

Edited by safety

There are 15 boys on the varsity- 2 seniors, 8 juniors, 4 sophmores, 1 freshman. Coach Taylor has been rotating 10 boys during the games, yes some have played more than others however it has not always been the same players. I'm not sure who you are referring to as his "buddies". I think he puts the ones in that are producing. The problem is none of them are shooting enough. Like I said before, what would you do different? Play the sophomores?

Edited by cricket