Players Desire

dontforget

Is it me or is it that now days it seems that players do not have the will and desire to play basketball. I remember when I was growing up my coach did not have to stay down our back every minute because we had the desire to play. Now you have parents complaining about this and that. The parents are holding on and sheltering this kids too long. If you dont want your chlid to get fussed at when he/she is doing wrong then basketball is not the sport for them. Trust me if your child wants to go to the next level, and be something. They need to do some soul searching, because as you move up it gets tougher. So stop being a baby and play ball. I tell my child that all the time. The coaches fuss to make you better, not to make you look like an idiot. You either take it or leave it. Like the song goes, "What dont kill you makes you stronger." Get a heart! :P

Edited by dontforget

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or is it that now days it seems that players do not have the will and desire to play basketball. I remember when I was growing up my coach did not have to stay down our back every minute because we had the desire to play. Now you have parents complaining about this and that. The parents are holding on and sheltering this kids too long. If you dont want your chlid to get fussed at when he/she is doing wrong then basketball is not the sport for them. Trust me if your child wants to go to the next level, and be something. They need to do some soul searching, because as you move up it gets tougher. So stop being a baby and play ball. I tell my child that all the time. The coaches fuss to make you better, not to make you look like an idiot. You either take it or leave it. Like the song goes, "What dont kill you makes you stronger." Get a heart! :P

A very good post!!!

Parents are not allowing these kids to grow up. That kills them right there. Then you have some parents who go against what the coach says and they talk to there children about it. I totally think that is crazy. I have set in thousands of games and you have that one group of parents who sit and talk about what the team needs to run. That is crazy, every person has a different method. Besides if that team is winning then shut your mouth and support the team. We as parents must set examples. When in reality, we are the ones hurting them the most. When my child complains, I tell her to play through it. So let the coaches be coaches and do their job. If you dont like it you can take your children and go. We need to teach them how to build hearts. If we just did that alot of the complaining would stop. B)

There is a lot more for children to be involved with now than 20 years ago. Have you seen the graphics on the PS 3? Instant gratification with text messaging, e-mail, and cell phones. Society sends the message that we have to have everything now. Player development is playing 65 games in the summer on an AAU team and you are now a great player. What happened to playing pick-up ball??? What happened to shooting on you own??? Development takes time. It is like growing a flower from a seed, you have to water it and give it sun light. It doesn't bloom overnight. These children have grown up in an era we know nothing about. We can not understand 500 channels on the television. We had two when I grew up. ABC didn't come in. What else was there to do?? Don't get mad a the kids of today for not having a strong desire to play basketball. Sometimes we want "it" more than they want "it". We cram organized sports on our kids from the time they can start walking. Part of the reason teenagers dont have the desire is because they are seasoned veterans by the time they are 13. Playing organized ball for 8 years 20-30 games a year. They are burned out. Let's let kids be kids when they are in elementary school. Dont make them feel the pressure of a middle aged person with a mortage and high blood pressure. Thank goodness I grew up when I did. By the time I really understood what competition was about I still loved the game.

There is a lot more for children to be involved with now than 20 years ago. Have you seen the graphics on the PS 3? Instant gratification with text messaging, e-mail, and cell phones. Society sends the message that we have to have everything now. Player development is playing 65 games in the summer on an AAU team and you are now a great player. What happened to playing pick-up ball??? What happened to shooting on you own??? Development takes time. It is like growing a flower from a seed, you have to water it and give it sun light. It doesn't bloom overnight. These children have grown up in an era we know nothing about. We can not understand 500 channels on the television. We had two when I grew up. ABC didn't come in. What else was there to do?? Don't get mad a the kids of today for not having a strong desire to play basketball. Sometimes we want "it" more than they want "it". We cram organized sports on our kids from the time they can start walking. Part of the reason teenagers dont have the desire is because they are seasoned veterans by the time they are 13. Playing organized ball for 8 years 20-30 games a year. They are burned out. Let's let kids be kids when they are in elementary school. Dont make them feel the pressure of a middle aged person with a mortage and high blood pressure. Thank goodness I grew up when I did. By the time I really understood what competition was about I still loved the game.

Could not have said it better.

I agree with DCHS. I have children that play high school ball and as soon as that ends then it is AAU and summer camps and then they are back in school and back at it again. They loose interest. They need to be kids and enjoy a family vacation.

Good post DCHS.

I agree with DCHS. I have children that play high school ball and as soon as that ends then it is AAU and summer camps and then they are back in school and back at it again. They loose interest. They need to be kids and enjoy a family vacation.

Good post DCHS.

I am all for the famly taking a vacation. The kids do need to rest their bodies. I for one plan on having some fun this summer! I just love Florida and so do my kids. Can we sneak a few games in while we are there? LOL just kidding.

Edited by coachgat

Kids need to remind their parents that they are kids and are suppose to be enjoying this time in their life. Sports should be seasonal and not year round. Play it to have fun and enjoy each and every minute of it. If you have the talent to carry it to the next level then by all means pursue it with passion and desire. If you are not looking at the next level, then try you best, play hard as you possibly can, hustle for every loose ball, and leave the floor with a smile, win or lose. In the eyes of each person in the gym, fan or visitor, you'll be looked at as a winner. Just don't let anyone force you into doing something you don't have the desire to do. If you're in it to please your parents, then you'll only have heartache. Remember....Have Fun...You have the rest of your lives to have worries....Please don't take this the wrong way...Having fun while playing any sports does not mean to goof off...You must take it serious because you will have players on your team that will depend on you to do you best....Practice hard, and play hard...You can do that and also have fun at it..

This is a very good post. Its more toward the girls though because guys you dont really have to do as much because guys always want to prove themselves as girls alot of the time just play with no heart. And if you want to be the big dog you got to play with desire.

Might have to disagree a little with you dawg. This problem is just as bad in the boys as it is in girls. The big difference is boys think they know it all. Also maturity comes in to play with younger boys. Girls seem to mature quicker. Some boys don't mature until they have graduated. I have found girls will try harder. They may not be able to make some of the athletic plays boys do and some people view this as not playing hard where as a boy might be able to run and jump but does it just whenever and some view this as playing hard. I have to agree with an earlier post about kids having too many other things to do. And we as parents give in to this. Sure we want our kids to be happy and whatever it takes to see to this, but in the long run we sometimes don't always do what is right. We want our kids to have it easier than what we did. Is this right? Not always. We need to remember some of the things we had to go through help make us what we are today. Hopefully that is all not that bad. Our kids want it easier, quicker and more of it than most of us did and we give in to that. All this leads into a kid not playing with the heart and desire they should play with. Also with everything geared towards equality it takes away from someone overachieving. We don't always reward hard work the way we should. Don't want to make someone look better than anyone else or really don't want to make someone look worse. We as a society have made these kids the way they are today. And thankfully some of them don't buy into it. Hopefully these will be the kids that are our leaders in the future.

Edited by screenandroll

You have some really good points screenandroll. IM still in highschool. And im a guy and yea we do want it easier but me if i dont get it easy im gonna get it the hard way. When i go out and play baseball in the march i give it my all from the first practice to the last out of the season which would hopefully be in the state championship game, and we win.