Jefferson County Position by Position

PatriotMan

If CJA is head coach next fall, I would expect to see all of the current coaching staff back. Except for smoot, I don't really know him that well so I don't know what his position on the matter is.

I would hope that Smoot would stay, at least the defense would keep some stability. He's a good coach, and to the best of my knowledge all of the players like him A LOT.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope that Smoot would stay, at least the defense would keep some stability. He's a good coach, and to the best of my knowledge all of the players like him A LOT.

This is the first time I have ever heard any of the kids like Smoot. I don't know him so I have no thoughts either way on him.

I do not think a return to fundamentals for the spring would be a bad thing. I saw a defense last year that missed a lot of tackles.

Just for you Topgun, because you are a nice guy lol. This is what Kisabeth had to say. I keep meaning to get a plus membership so I can post when they shut us down here again. I think we should just start a JeffersonCountySports.com, would be a lot easier :P

Oh BTW, Jefferson County just finalized plans for a spring game against Carter, to be played at C-N's Burke-Tarr. I think it's either May 15 or 16. Ill let ya know tomorrow.

Wanted: one head football coach

Kisabeth talks

about opening

at Jefferson Co.

BY DARREN REESE

Standard Banner Sports

DANDRIDGE - The search is on to fill the position of head football coach at Jefferson County High School.

JCHS Athletic Director Craig Kisabeth posted the opening - left vacant by former coach Marty Euverard’s departure - on the TSSAA website last Tuesday, and as of late last week, had already received inquiries from over a dozen prospective candidates.

“We want to open it up, look at all the resumés, and narrow it down to what is going to be right for this school, this community, and the program itself,” Kisabeth said.

Offensive line coach Justin Anderson was named interim head coach last Monday to lead the team through spring workouts, scheduled to begin April 25.

Anderson, a JCHS graduate and former All-American center at Carson-Newman College, has been on the current staff since Euverard was hired in 2004.

“Justin is well respected by the players and we felt that he was the right person to put in that position for the spring,” said Kisabeth.

Jefferson County is looking for its third head football coach since Kisabeth stepped down after the 2001 season. Scott Meadows took over the helm the following spring, but spent just two years in Dumplin Valley before leaving for William Blount.

The hire of Euverard occured so late in the 2003-04 school year that the program had to conduct an abbreviated spring practice session. Kisabeth didn’t want to see the same thing happen this time around.

“As far as an interim coach, a lot of it has to do with the momentum that has been built so far,” Kisabeth explained. “With the numbers being up - there are around 90 kids participating in offseason conditioning - we just didn’t want to make a drastic change at this stage.”

“We talked to the players, and I explained the process that we would be going through in the upcoming month or so,” he added. “As far as Justin being put in an interim role, they were all receptive to it and understood.”

Though the two most recent coaching hires have failed to provide any stability for the football program, Kisabeth and principal Dale Schneitman stand by the candidates they chose and plan to conduct the current search in much the same manner.

“You look back at the choices we made and I feel confident in the process that Mr. Schneitman and I took in making those choices,” Kisabeth said.

“We are going to go about it pretty much the same this time. We will look at each candidate carefully and interview as many as we possibly can.”

Kisabeth said resumés will be accepted through the middle of April, which at that point, he and Schneitman will begin conducting interviews.

The Jefferson County administration hopes to have a head coach in place by the end of the school year.

“These players will know who their head coach is by the time we let out for summer,” Kisabeth stated.

When asked what criteria would be required of the new head coach, Kisabeth said he is looking for a person of high character and standards. He also pointed out that it is important to hire someone who will get out and interact with the community, an area some thought Euverard didn’t do an adequate enough job with.

“We are looking for someone that will of course fit into the Jefferson County community well,” Kisabeth said. “Someone that will get out in the public and do a good relations effort in the public eye. Let people know who he is and what he represents.”

“We also want someone who will have nothing but the kids in mind and a successful program in mind. He must represent our school in a class way.”

Kisabeth pointed out that he believes those who are interviewed will have questions of their own, especially regarding the County’s growth plans, which have been up in the air for quite some time.

“I am sure the applicants will have a lot of things that they want to know about us, just what’s going on here and what our future entails,” he said.

“As far as the school situation is concerned, I know that will be a major question by whomever we talk to. Just not knowing the status of the school system, whether it’s going to be one high school, or split into two on down the road.”

Though he couldn’t go into specifics regarding the interested candidates thus far, Kisabeth said of the current applications he has received, they have come from as far away as New Orleans.

“We got a few applicants from out-of-state the last couple of times, and we expect to get some this time as well.”

Jefferson County is the only area high school currently looking for a head football coach. Greeneville, Science Hill, and Karns - opponents on the Patriots’ schedule next season - all conducted searches at the conclusion of the 2006 season and have since filled their positions.

Kisabeth said that he doesn’t expect the late start in hiring a head coach to effect Jefferson County’s ability to attract interest.

“You look back at the situation we were in last time (in 2004), it was pretty much the same time span. We are a little more cramped this time, but I think we have plenty of time to do what we need to do.”

While Kisabeth is focused on bringing in the best person possible to turn around a program that has won just a total of five games the past two seasons, he is someone saddened by the fact that JCHS is having to go through this process yet again.

“I just hate to see Marty Euverard go,” he admitted. “I know there were a lot of factors that he considered in making his decision and I wish him nothing but the very best.”

Kisabeth added that he honestly believes Euverard had the program headed on the right track.

“He established discipline back on the team, which was desperately needed, and he created a work ethic that is second to none. It’s showing right now in the number of kids that are in the weight room and condition program at this very moment. It’s just indicative of what he has done in the time period which he was given and the circumstances that he had to work under.”

Kisabeth concluded by saying that the biggest task for the incoming head coach will be to continue building on the momentum that Euverard already had in place.

“Things are on the up,” Kisabeth said. “Marty knew it, the players sensed it. The demeanor of the players is much improved, the attitude is much improved, there is a positive atmosphere within this program.”

“I think whoever is chosen for this position is coming into a good situation, a situation where there has been a foundation already established.”

I agree w/ Kisabeth in regards to the discipline being restored. We have to have that . Not sure you can equate how many are in workout class to numbers that will be on the sideline in August though. I am sure numbers will be up. I am looking forward to somebody coming in and bringing us back.

I agree w/ Kisabeth in regards to the discipline being restored. We have to have that . Not sure you can equate how many are in workout class to numbers that will be on the sideline in August though. I am sure numbers will be up. I am looking forward to somebody coming in and bringing us back.

Unless the good ole boy system comes in to play !!