Independence Coaching Search

donathan5507

Well, after Saban--Smith, rather--left abruptly today, Independence finds itself in the same spot as fellow 6-5A team and rival, Centennial.

The early favorite has to be Jason Eubanks (Current Indy Defensive Coordinator). Still, this job has a lot of intrigue, especially considering the very strong senior class that will be on the field next season. I would think that some of the top applicants for the Centennial job might be thinking twice now that they see a shinier job open just a few miles down the road.

I would think that anyone from the Ravenwood staff (read: HERZOG) should be strongly considered. They have an incredible program over there and the coaches are very familiar with nurturing and establishing a new program.

However, the new coach will have to limit the number of staff members he brings along. Eubanks and Coach Bobby Cieslack are absolute musts for next season. Those two guys, Coach Bobby in particular, deserve the majority of the credit for the tremendous off-season improvement of the Independence team.

Do NOT get this thread closed down.

Edited by donathan5507

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after Saban--Smith, rather--left abruptly today, Independence finds itself in the same spot as fellow 6-5A team and rival, Centennial.

The early favorite has to be Jason Eubanks (Current Indy Defensive Coordinator). Still, this job has a lot of intrigue, especially considering the very strong senior class that will be on the field next season. I would think that some of the top applicants for the Centennial job might be thinking twice now that they see a shinier job open just a few miles down the road.

I would think that anyone from the Ravenwood staff (read: HERZOG) should be strongly considered. They have an incredible program over there and the coaches are very familiar with nurturing and establishing a new program.

However, the new coach will have to limit the number of staff members he brings along. Eubanks and Coach Bobby Cieslack are absolute musts for next season. Those two guys, Coach Bobby in particular, deserve the majority of the credit for the tremendous off-season improvement of the Independence team.

Do NOT get this threat closed down.

I've never know many hostages to have internet privledges. Schrader must be treating you pretty well.

First off, there is no way this thread will be as good as ours. (About 600 posts on 4 threads)

Second, it looks like Herzog and Nowell will probably both move to Centennial (just not sure with what jobs) so you can take those two names off. Chad Kirby, who had expressed interest in Centennial, will probably be considered in this search.

Third, Is there any word on whether or not any other Indy coaches will leave? If there are no openings on the team, there might be a limited search.

Edited by CHS 2007

Are you Independence guys really unhappy with losing Smith to Science Hill? I’m just curious from SHHS.

PowrPlus,

You have asked a very good and tough question. I am really close to the program having coached in it 1 year and the player of a rising senior player. At least in the near term I am unhappy Scott Smith is leaving Independence. While I am shocked at the timing, I am not shocked he his leaving. This team has been through a lot in 3 short years. I'll list some of them:

-Brand new school and all of the challenges that creates.

-Hold their first spring practice with just the incoming sophmores at Heritage Middle school.

-Starting fall practice at the old BGA field. Going to practice after school started was a bussed road trip for 3 weeks or so.

-Brand new coaching staff with a bunch of freshmen and sophmores played BA in a Friday night game at BA. (BA was an extremely gracious host to us that evening)

-The following year playing the Varsity schedule without seniors. They took their lumps for sure.

-The loss of player and friend Tommy Johnson.

-Losing all but the last game of the season was very emotionally draining on everyone involved.

-Spring practice show promise with excellant scrimmages against Glencliff and -Springfield.

-Going 6-0 with a huge win over Franklin

-Going 1-4 with an embarrassing loss to Ravenwood. Missing the playoff after such a good start.

-Scott Smith leaving the program.

The players are hurt and feel they have been abandoned. They'll get over it and be stronger for it. As mentioned earlier, the cupboard is definitely not bare.

In the long run they will be just fine as long as they make the best hire. They resume workouts tonight getting ready for a tough schedule next year. The hurt and pain will eventually go away. The sooner the better.

Long way around your question. Am I unhappy? In the short-term yes. In the long-term, Independence football will be better for it happening. It was going to happen sooner or later.

First off, there is no way this thread will be as good as ours. (About 600 posts on 4 threads)

Second, it looks like Herzog and Nowell will probably both move to Centennial (just not sure with what jobs) so you can take those two names off. Chad Kirby, who had expressed interest in Centennial, will probably be considered in this search.

Third, Is there any word on whether or not any other Indy coaches will leave? If there are no openings on the team, there might be a limited search.

CHS,

This happened less than 24 hours ago with no idea it was happening. Unlike the CHS situation that a blind man could have seen coming for a long time. Let things settle down. My opinion is that the IHS situation for an incoming coach is still better than Centennial's. Also I didn't realize there was a competition thing with the threads between CHS and IHS.

Don't be so sure--that blue and gold is much more appealing. Whoever takes over is almost stepping right in to success.

Guest footballprincess

Scott Smith told his team yesterday that Centennial offerred him the job, but he chose Science Hill.

I think this is a joke, I doubt you and all the other chs kids on here have a serious idea of what ya'll are talking about. It gives me a good laugh.