ole murfreesburo high

schmukduck

ACTUALLY OAKLAND HAS THE BEST SITUATION OUT OF ALL of them...open zone anyone who want ot go to oakland can try getting inot RIVERDALE without living in the zone and not having a parent thatis a teacher

When Hulan was around.....it was easy to do and we both know it. :rolleyes: So remind me again...who is Spurlock's parent that is a teacher again?? :P

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Hulan was around.....it was easy to do and we both know it. :rolleyes: So remind me again...who is Spurlock's parent that is a teacher again?? :P

ok an uncle is assistant principle if you are talking about David plus i am not sure where his dad lives if you are referring to the girl who plays basketball at riverdale(freshman) that is his daughter..and that stuff you waas referring to goes WAY before hulan it was nothing back in the day to go to whichever school you wanted you didnt even have to play sports if you wanted to go to a school then you could

Here is a good article on Jerry Anderson.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.db...p;ATCLID=611375

In addition to Jerry Anderson playing cornerback at OU, the TE, Leo Martin, off Windham's '70 team played offensive TACKLE at OU! In Barry Switzer's book, The Winning Edge, he had a chapter devoted to Jerry Anderson, entitled "OU's #1 Slobber Knocker". In it, is a series of three photos showing Anderson literally knocking unconscious the starting Nebraska wingback with a wicked forearm to the helmet, in the first quarter. Anderson then proceeded to knock out the 2nd string wingback. Neither player returned to the game. Nebraska finished the game with their 3rd string wingback.

Others starters on that 1970 AAA State Championship Club who went on to play college football were:

QB David Parsons - Started his Jr and SR seasons at cornerback for Bill Battle at Tennessee,

TB Donnie Bratton - Track scholarship to Memphis St. as a sprinter,

The other TB, whose name I don't recall, (I think it was Donnie Howse?) made it to AAA ball in the Cleveland Indians organization,

FB Terry Haynes - Started at defensive end his freshman season at Kentucky,

OT Mike Demascus - Awarded a scholarship and was a backup at Tennessee,

Another starting offensive lineman, whose name I don't remember (it may have been Howard Carter) awarded a scholarship and played as a backup at Tennessee,

OG, and team captain, David Alsup, started four years ('71-'75 I think) at OG at Vanderbilt,

Alsup was joined by M'boro Central teammate, OT Buddy Miller, at Vanderbilt, but Miller later dropped out of school,

WR/DB Jerry Anderson went to OU

WB/S (that's Wingback/Safety) Leon Alexander started his freshman season at safety at Mississippi St.

DT Luther Allen was awarded a scholarship to Alcorn St.

NG Terry Sneed, quick and strong but small, went into the Army and I had heard he played "Army ball". I watched one Friday night as M'boro destroyed Springfield (at Springfield, I think M'boro scored in the 50s or 60s) as Terry Sneed used three cans of "Whoopass" on the Springfield long snapper causing him to snap the ball over the punter's head three times. M'boro scored TDs on all three turnovers.

CB Sonny Anderson played four years at MTSU.

Former Vanderbilt and Philadelphia Eagle Dennis Harrison was a sophomore on that '70 team of Gene Windham's. Ray Hughes, former Oakland High head coach was the line coach and did an excellent job. Former Vanderbilt DE and Sewannee had football coach, John Windham, Gene's son was only about 6 or 7 years old and was ever present on the sideline.

Sonny Anderson played in the Buffalo Bills organization. Jerry Anderson played for Tampa Bay and Cinncinatti, and the aforementioned Harrison played for the Eagles and the Rams.

Gene Windham once told my father that the '70 team was a once in a lifetime confluence of talent for a high school coach. He said he had 2nd string players who could start for most of the teams on Central's schedule.

That team could run, pass and play defense. The starters were benched early in the third quarter that season in nearly every game. The only team that played the close was John Cropp's bunch (John was a Sigma Chi at Vanderbilt) at Tennessee High School in the semifinal game of the state playoffs. The Vikings gave the Tigers a real scare. I think Central won by eight points.

Central then demolished Memphis Melrose, 36-0, in the state finals at MTSU.

Former Nashville Banner sports editor, the late F. M. Williams, wrote that the 1970 M'boro Central team was the best high school football team he ever saw in 50 years of covering high school football.

Parsons, Martin, Alexander and I believe Jerry Anderson led the M'boro Central basketball team that season which lost in the state semi-finals to a superior team from Memphis Southside at Stokely Athletics Center.

Central Middle School has been hurt by Siegel Middle School. Each HS has their own feeder school now except for Oakland. Central is as close as we get to a feeder, but kids from there still attend Riverdale and Siegel High. So......it isn't really fair to assume that Central should be the all powerful school now . There are 4 middle schools serving the HS's in the Boro. ( Christiana, Blackman, Central,a nd Siegel Middle) With around a 58% free lunch population, guess you can figure out why some of the other Boro middle schools have become more dominant than Central now. ( zone exempts out like crazy)

I was referring to the days when those other middle schools didn't exist and Smyrna Middle and Central Middle used to be a pretty heated, well-matched rivalry.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to Jerry Anderson playing cornerback at OU, the TE, Leo Martin, off Windham's '70 team played offensive TACKLE at OU! In Barry Switzer's book, The Winning Edge, he had a chapter devoted to Jerry Anderson, entitled "OU's #1 Slobber Knocker". In it, is a series of three photos showing Anderson literally knocking unconscious the starting Nebraska wingback with a wicked forearm to the helmet, in the first quarter. Anderson then proceeded to knock out the 2nd string wingback. Neither player returned to the game. Nebraska finished the game with their 3rd string wingback.

Others starters on that 1970 AAA State Championship Club who went on to play college football were:

QB David Parsons - Started his Jr and SR seasons at cornerback for Bill Battle at Tennessee,

TB Donnie Bratton - Track scholarship to Memphis St. as a sprinter,

The other TB, whose name I don't recall, (I think it was Donnie Howse?) made it to AAA ball in the Cleveland Indians organization,

FB Terry Haynes - Started at defensive end his freshman season at Kentucky,

OT Mike Demascus - Awarded a scholarship and was a backup at Tennessee,

Another starting offensive lineman, whose name I don't remember (it may have been Howard Carter) awarded a scholarship and played as a backup at Tennessee,

OG, and team captain, David Alsup, started four years ('71-'75 I think) at OG at Vanderbilt,

Alsup was joined by M'boro Central teammate, OT Buddy Miller, at Vanderbilt, but Miller later dropped out of school,

WR/DB Jerry Anderson went to OU

WB/S (that's Wingback/Safety) Leon Alexander started his freshman season at safety at Mississippi St.

DT Luther Allen was awarded a scholarship to Alcorn St.

NG Terry Sneed, quick and strong but small, went into the Army and I had heard he played "Army ball". I watched one Friday night as M'boro destroyed Springfield (at Springfield, I think M'boro scored in the 50s or 60s) as Terry Sneed used three cans of "Whoopass" on the Springfield long snapper causing him to snap the ball over the punter's head three times. M'boro scored TDs on all three turnovers.

CB Sonny Anderson played four years at MTSU.

Former Vanderbilt and Philadelphia Eagle Dennis Harrison was a sophomore on that '70 team of Gene Windham's. Ray Hughes, former Oakland High head coach was the line coach and did an excellent job. Former Vanderbilt DE and Sewannee had football coach, John Windham, Gene's son was only about 6 or 7 years old and was ever present on the sideline.

Sonny Anderson played in the Buffalo Bills organization. Jerry Anderson played for Tampa Bay and Cinncinatti, and the aforementioned Harrison played for the Eagles and the Rams.

Gene Windham once told my father that the '70 team was a once in a lifetime confluence of talent for a high school coach. He said he had 2nd string players who could start for most of the teams on Central's schedule.

That team could run, pass and play defense. The starters were benched early in the third quarter that season in nearly every game. The only team that played the close was John Cropp's bunch (John was a Sigma Chi at Vanderbilt) at Tennessee High School in the semifinal game of the state playoffs. The Vikings gave the Tigers a real scare. I think Central won by eight points.

Central then demolished Memphis Melrose, 36-0, in the state finals at MTSU.

Former Nashville Banner sports editor, the late F. M. Williams, wrote that the 1970 M'boro Central team was the best high school football team he ever saw in 50 years of covering high school football.

Parsons, Martin, Alexander and I believe Jerry Anderson led the M'boro Central basketball team that season which lost in the state semi-finals to a superior team from Memphis Southside at Stokely Athletics Center.

daaaaaaaayum they was stacked do u no was they mascot was?