Sullivan Central defeats Science Hill

brock20

QUOTE(maroonandgrey @ Jan 18 2007 - 11:04 AM) 826336228[/snapback]

I agree that both are great players. I agree that both get a lot of attention and deservedly so. I don't agree that out of ALL the players in the region these 2 players deserve a state shot more than any other. Why more than Sensabaugh and Throp at DB? Why more than Hess at Central? Why more than TNHigh or South or East or etc etc? My point is that if you get that shot you deserve to be there because of earning it...not because everybody else is not worthy. And with all due respect...in watching the Toppers play they ae not going to get there on Wattad alone. As great as he is he can not score/rebound/defend for the whole team. He is a one man team. I think Central has proven over the last 2 seasons that great players are great (Hess, Buchanon) but others have to step up game in game out to have a legit shot at winning deep in the season. Just my opinion

I agree. Every kid that puts on a jersey and makes his team the best they can be deserves a shot at the state tourney. Not just the stars.

The biggest difference I see between Wiggins and Wattad is the effect they have on their teammates. With Wiggins, an otherwise mediocre team plays like #1. Science Hill has seemingly unlimited talent and they play uninspired. Is this because of Wattad...probably not but sometimes it appears the rest of the team would just as soon leave the game up to him to win or lose. That is a lot to put on a young man's shoulders.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 18 2007 - 11:30 AM) 826336272[/snapback]

I agree. Every kid that puts on a jersey and makes his team the best they can be deserves a shot at the state tourney. Not just the stars.

The biggest difference I see between Wiggins and Wattad is the effect they have on their teammates. With Wiggins, an otherwise mediocre team plays like #1. Science Hill has seemingly unlimited talent and they play uninspired. Is this because of Wattad...probably not but sometimes it appears the rest of the team would just as soon leave the game up to him to win or lose. That is a lot to put on a young man's shoulders.

ask anyone at their AAU team and see who they say made everyone else play better.... the answer was Omar. The problem at shhs is not just one but many.

1. Selfishness- the players at the hill all think they can lead the team, unlike in Greeneville where the role players know they are role players. That is why "mediocre" talent plays at its best potential with Antwaine, where as "seemingly unlimited talent" is just that.,.. seeming. The supporting cast at the hill are not as talented as people believe, and they CERTAINLY are not talented as they THINK they are.

2. the System-

Coach Duncan's motion offense is by far the best offensive system in east tN, and perhaps in the state. It puts shooters in the right position, it has scorers getting the ball, and it lets the ball handlers do the ball handling.

Science Hill's system (or lack of a system) is primarily focused on the perimiter, there is not a tendency to attack the post, nor is there a product that by design makes shots inside of the 3 point line highly availabe. This results in a lot of 1-on-1 ball and makes the offense lacksidasical (sorry bout spelling)

3. Work Ethic-

Greeneville's guys work harder than shhs players. The guys at the hill are lazy and act as if they are entitled to win. Without focusing on practicing the fundamentals they are only using the talent they have and not improving upon the talent they have.

4. Use of personnel/Coaching....

The best players get the ball and play the most minutes in the game at Greeneville. Not the case at science hill. Ashlon Adams has the most potentional on that team (besides wattad) has been under used and even put in the wrong position (plays post, should play wing). Even their "star" is under used. I blame this on the coaching staff. You put the ball in your stars' hands and let him/them win/lose for you. Don't set your team up to fail. I realize development of players is important but during the game is not when you want to teach lessons, that is what practice is for.

5. Desire

No one questions Omar's desire or Antwaines desire to win. The difference is the other guys on Greeneville want to win, the guys at the hill show an indifference that baffles me. I once spoke to some players at the hill after a loss and all but 3 guys(who i won't mention) said they didn't care and they just wanted to get the game over with..... that attitude stinks and no matter what one player does it cannot be changed.

These are just five reasons that the hill suffers and the devils excel... if the guys at SHHS read this i hope they take it to heart and play with some passion. Instead of being jealous of Omar, emmulate his work ethic and passion for the game, much like the devils emmulate Antwaine and feed off of his silent leadership.

To bad more Science Hill fans don’t sign onto coacht. There is more than enough inspiration on here to last a season!

I think the main problem with the Hill Toppers is that the coach has yet to relay to the players what their role is to the team and who the major role players are. And to his defense he has such a young and talented team that (knowing the attitudes of some of the players and their parents) he doesn’t want to discourage any single one and drive them away from the game. There are so many egos on that team its ridicules. If I were Cutlip…I would take a short ride down the Bristol Hwy. and ask advice from the master of handling egos (Johnson City egos to be exact)…….George Pitts!! To me (form the outside looking in) it looks like Cutlip is trying so hard to juggle his players and his coaches that he can’t truly concentrate on his opponent.

QUOTE(Cap1 @ Jan 18 2007 - 02:31 PM) 826336567[/snapback]

To bad more Science Hill fans don’t sign onto coacht. There is more than enough inspiration on here to last a season!

I think the main problem with the Hill Toppers is that the coach has yet to relay to the players what their role is to the team and who the major role players are. And to his defense he has such a young and talented team that (knowing the attitudes of some of the players and their parents) he doesn’t want to discourage any single one and drive them away from the game. There are so many egos on that team its ridicules. If I were Cutlip…I would take a short ride down the Bristol Hwy. and ask advice from the master of handling egos (Johnson City egos to be exact)…….George Pitts!! To me (form the outside looking in) it looks like Cutlip is trying so hard to juggle his players and his coaches that he can’t truly concentrate on his opponent.

If he doesn't start coaching these boys, they might take a short drive down 11E to Greeneville. Duncan knows how to handle egos.

I spoke to coach Pitts during the month of December, and he expressed to me that Omar was under utilized. His exact words were, " I would have him pass and cut to the basket EVERY possession." Pitts was a great proponent of delegating roles and making sure the STAR got hte ball (ask david harrison, branden wright, Jovann Johnson)..... i agree cutlip hasn't gotten it together. ITs january and he is still tinkering with the lineups... most teams have their bench shortened and their rotation at 7-9 players at most. Cutlip is still changing his lineup every minute...

I was being serious when I said he should go to Pitts for advice. Most of these local coaches think they have it all figured out and don’t want advise from anyone for the fear of looking like they’re not the one in charge (ego problem in my book). And as far as Duncan is concerned…I’m not impressed so you can save that mess for the Greenville fans. I believe I could look impressive if I had a state top 10 player that is at least 3” inches taller than all players he’s matched up with, and I kept the ball in his hands 85% of the time in arguably the weakest conference in the state. And yes I’m jealous!!!

QUOTE(Cap1 @ Jan 18 2007 - 03:27 PM) 826336631[/snapback]

I was being serious when I said he should go to Pitts for advice. Most of these local coaches think they have it all figured out and don’t want advise from anyone for the fear of looking like they’re not the one in charge (ego problem in my book). And as far as Duncan is concerned…I’m not impressed so you can save that mess for the Greenville fans. I believe I could look impressive if I had a state top 10 player that is at least 3” inches taller than all players he’s matched up with, and I kept the ball in his hands 85% of the time in arguably the weakest conference in the state. And yes I’m jealous!!!

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but I will agree with you about Duncan. They only time I saw Greeneville was with the scrimmage with Central. Not impressed with his coaching or team. Greeneville, don't make any reservations just yet. I think any of the top 4 teams that come out of District 1, could easily beat Greeneville on a given night. It's a toss up who might advance to the regionals, probably SH and DB, and after that who knows.

QUOTE(Cap1 @ Jan 18 2007 - 03:27 PM) 826336631[/snapback]

Geez Cap, what does a coach have to do to impress you? 32 yrs, 706 wins 3 trips to the boro in the last 6 years and a good chance at another. He has coached in college and in the olympics. I would think there are a lot of coaches out there who would love to have a career average 22 wins per season. I think maybe your standards are a bit high.

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 18 2007 - 04:29 PM) 826336688[/snapback]

Geez Cap, what does a coach have to do to impress you? 32 yrs, 706 wins 3 trips to the boro in the last 6 years and a good chance at another. He has coached in college and in the olympics. I would think there are a lot of coaches out there who would love to have a career average 22 wins per season. I think maybe your standards are a bit high.

What relation are you to Coach Duncan?

QUOTE(hightop @ Jan 18 2007 - 04:31 PM) 826336690[/snapback]

What relation are you to Coach Duncan?

None...I have been watching his teams play since he came here...and in Seymour too. I can't believe you would agree with Cap after only seeing a pre-season scrimmage. At least he went to the Arby's.

Good post Cap. But I also think we are overestimating their talent. Central played a 2-3, and no one could step up and knock a shot down.

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 18 2007 - 07:25 AM) 826335952[/snapback]

I think it is time to let this die. Omar committed an error in judgement and I would imagine if he had it to do over again, he might have reacted differently. The fact that video of the incident has been posted on Youtube is not helping. Central had a big win over Science Hill. Why cheapen that win by taking shots at Wattad. Obviously, rubbing salt into this kid's wounds is what "fuels your fire". I am starting to understand why its so hard for "people like us" to give Central any respect...you have none for anyone else. If you beat DB on Friday, try and do it with class and then maybe you won't have to whine for another week about getting no respect.

You tell it ,sister