New AP

barb

QUOTE(elitebball @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:06 AM) 826342175[/snapback]

Another brilliant poll from a select few who apparently don't take the time to research actual games to see who is beating who. In D-2, Briarcrest goes to Pope John Paul this past weekend, without their best player, and beats them, yet remains behind them in the poll. Lausanne, who earlier in the year defeated Brentwood Academy, remains behind them and their 6 losses, one of which being to Harpeth Hall who Briarcrest beat by 20. If the folks voting in the poll can't get out to see these teams, at least look at their results, instead of going by their record or past reputation.

I totally agree..... Both of Bartlett's losses came when they were not at full strenght due to illness & injury. However, I think the polls are just recreational and mean nothing anyway. Why are there never any voters from the Shelby County Area? Maybe the polls will provide the overlooked teams with some fire!

It is hard to believe that Briarcrest beat the #2 ranked Pope John Paul II this weekend without their best player (Catilin House). Doesn't say much for the D2 poll for sure.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Bates Water Gardens @ Jan 22 2007 - 05:49 PM) 826341477[/snapback]

You are right. I don't have to display jealousy. And I don't. Mt. Juliet has had maybe the best program from top to bottom over the last 25 years. Most of Shelbyville's top players have come from other schools and I know for a fact that Insell contacted many players about transfering to Shelbyville. I knew about when he recruted Misty Lamb. I know of players he contacted and they didn't go. I will not call their name but I did talk to them.

You can call this what you want, but it's something that Shelbyville got away with for a long time. All of Mt. Juliet's players have been home grown. Alicia Clark moved there from Kansas, but she wasn't contacted from a local school in Tennessee.

I think you just proved my "j-word" point. You're in denial. If Burkey starts winning a couple gold balls, Shelbyville will have to hear it all over again.

QUOTE(fish5 @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826342214[/snapback]

I think you just proved my "j-word" point. You're in denial. If Burkey starts winning a couple gold balls, Shelbyville will have to hear it all over again.

You're wrong. I have nothing to be "j" about. You don't understand Mt. Juliet Basketball. How long have you lived in this area anyway?

QUOTE(Bates Water Gardens @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:40 AM) 826342222[/snapback]

You're wrong. I have nothing to be "j" about. You don't understand Mt. Juliet Basketball. How long have you lived in this area anyway?

Long enough to realize Oak Ridge has a more storied history over the last 25 years than does Mt. Juliet. In 25 years, MJ has one gold ball. They might have more if Shelbyville hadn't been in the picture, and Oak Ridge definitely would. You're a loyal fan of a strong program, and you should be proud and toot MJ's horn (although you're really stretching with the "maybe the best-over-25-year" statement) and I have great respect for MJ's complete program. You'd be even stronger w/o the WC split. I'm not criticizing MJ's program. You've criticized the Shelbyville program. You're a good knowledgeable fan, but don't make light of certain facts to make your points as with "team of the 80s and 90s" shots (heck, we won the gold ball in 2001, 2003 and 2004!). You make it sound like - with Burkey as the coach and a good sub-varsity program like MJs to develop new talent annually - Shelbyville is going to go away or something. You're "right-on" with most of your other posts. Just be a little more realistic when the tendency to exaggerate MJ's decades-long tradition or the "jealous of Eaglettes" denial tinge hits you.

QUOTE(fish5 @ Jan 23 2007 - 10:31 AM) 826342277[/snapback]

Long enough to realize Oak Ridge has a more storied history over the last 25 years than does Mt. Juliet. In 25 years, MJ has one gold ball. They might have more if Shelbyville hadn't been in the picture, and Oak Ridge definitely would. You're a loyal fan of a strong program, and you should be proud and toot MJ's horn (although you're really stretching with the "maybe the best-over-25-year" statement) and I have great respect for MJ's complete program. You'd be even stronger w/o the WC split. I'm not criticizing MJ's program. You've criticized the Shelbyville program. You're a good knowledgeable fan, but don't make light of certain facts to make your points as with "team of the 80s and 90s" shots (heck, we won the gold ball in 2001, 2003 and 2004!). You make it sound like - with Burkey as the coach and a good sub-varsity program like MJs to develop new talent annually - Shelbyville is going to go away or something. You're "right-on" with most of your other posts. Just be a little more realistic when the tendency to exaggerate MJ's decades-long tradition or the "jealous of Eaglettes" denial tinge hits you.

MJ has 3 "gold balls". You are right, they would have at least 2 more if not for Shelbyville.

And I am NOT jealous. I am VERY proud of the Mt. Juliet program and all that they have done over the years that I have been following them. You might say that I'm Mt. Juliet's #1 fan. I know a lot of people involved there would.

QUOTE(Bates Water Gardens @ Jan 23 2007 - 10:58 AM) 826342315[/snapback]

MJ has 3 "gold balls". You are right, they would have at least 2 more if not for Shelbyville.

And I am NOT jealous. I am VERY proud of the Mt. Juliet program and all that they have done over the years that I have been following them. You might say that I'm Mt. Juliet's #1 fan. I know a lot of people involved there would.

MJ's lucky to have good fans like you!

QUOTE(fish5 @ Jan 22 2007 - 09:07 AM) 826340856[/snapback]

You used the "c" word, so I suggest you better get used to receiving instead of joining the "Eaglettes jealousy" ranks. MJ has a great coach and a very solid program that is showing some signs of semi-dynasty status (that is, after they win a few more gold balls). MJ fans should be proud that the pre-high school classes are showing great motivation for building great athletes who follow the influence of their varsity. Pre-high school teams at Shelbyville are normally also very strong, because the varsity level impacts these girls to want to become stars when they hit the varsity. It's a natural dynamic in most successful programs. It's not all about recruting. Girls desiring to be part of a great coach and great program seeking a better opportunity for college recognition and scholarships beat down the door to play for Insell. MJ and WC will experience similar trends. Great athletes with potential will want to move to these counties to play for these great programs, and the more successful MJ and WC are, the more voices you will hear accusing these fine programs of the same jealous accusations that hounded Shelbyville. Get used to it, BWG; you'll be in the same position with MJ in a few years if they have anywhere near the success that Shelbyville has had long-term. So, I wouldn't get in the habit of calling other successful programs "cheaters." With a great program like MJ, you really don't have to display jealousy of any other program.

Good post Fish, and no doubt dead on the money. Every team in Tennessee enjoying success at the high school level has a successful feeder program in place. Upperman, Shelbyville, MJ, Forrest, Jackson County, all share a common ground in preparing young ladies for high school. All have good middle school teams, and I'm not sure but I think MJ has won three state championships and been in the finals of every middle school state tournament since Coach Johnson began coaching there. I know Upperman coach Dana McWilliams coached her middle school team for a few years as did Butch Agee at Gordonsville. There is no area of the development more important than junior high, if you intend to be successful in high school. None.

QUOTE(fish5 @ Jan 23 2007 - 11:31 AM) 826342277[/snapback]

Has everyone forgotten Burkey was assistant @ Oak Ridge during their Golden Years.

QUOTE(Dellaball @ Jan 23 2007 - 01:35 PM) 826342541[/snapback]

Good post Fish, and no doubt dead on the money. Every team in Tennessee enjoying success at the high school level has a successful feeder program in place. Upperman, Shelbyville, MJ, Forrest, Jackson County, all share a common ground in preparing young ladies for high school. All have good middle school teams, and I'm not sure but I think MJ has won three state championships and been in the finals of every middle school state tournament since Coach Johnson began coaching there. I know Upperman coach Dana McWilliams coached her middle school team for a few years as did Butch Agee at Gordonsville. There is no area of the development more important than junior high, if you intend to be successful in high school. None.

If they have such a great middle school program, and I'm not saying that they do not have a good one, then why have ALL of their greatest players come from different counties(played middle school ball there)? I can only think of one girl that went to a division I school and played in Bedford County for more than 4 years.

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 23 2007 - 02:02 PM) 826342592[/snapback]

Has everyone forgotten Burkey was assistant @ Oak Ridge during their Golden Years.

Was he there for 30 years? That's about how long they have had their "Golden Years".

QUOTE(DUKnowDaGame? @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:28 AM) 826342210[/snapback]

I totally agree..... Both of Bartlett's losses came when they were not at full strenght due to illness & injury. However, I think the polls are just recreational and mean nothing anyway. Why are there never any voters from the Shelby County Area? Maybe the polls will provide the overlooked teams with some fire!

It is hard to believe that Briarcrest beat the #2 ranked Pope John Paul II this weekend without their best player (Catilin House). Doesn't say much for the D2 poll for sure.

Either the eligible shelby county voters don't care enough to vote, or figure they aren't educated enough in the other parts of the state to vote. Wouldn't expect their votes to help matters though, they can't even get their Dandy Dozen close to right.

QUOTE(Bates Water Gardens @ Jan 23 2007 - 11:58 AM) 826342315[/snapback]

I am sure that all of the Mt. Juliet fans are very proud of their #1 fan and his constant crying and jelousy. I am sure that they would much rather see that you are very supportive of all of the young ladies that play High School basketball and not critical of certain programs that have "raised the bar" and forced other programs to get better.