Halls, Powell & Central

ZCAR

The North Knoxville representatives of the tough Region 3-4A.

Seems like a rebuilding of sorts for all schools at the moment. Who may lead the pack and why going into next season? After so many quality players leaving to graduation the past couple of years from each school who will have the inside track for a playoff berth and who may be left at home.

It seems to me that for a the first time in a while not much will seperate these programs next year. Am I missing something or has parity finally arrived in North Knox County.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree, but Powell, and Central are down, while Halls has come up just ever so slightly. I think that Central is still better than both, but we'll have to wait and see. Central has two young athletes that are two of the best. They have two more years as well. While not sure how Halls will fair. Every time they have a huge class of good athletes they have not panned out (in recent years). Powell is always big, but lack that speed. They are getting some transfers that will soon stop. Central has the most to lose and Halls has the most to gain. Although Halls has had some tremendous youth programs they still have not shown the results from them. At least not in the last 6 years.

It seems like every year that Central has the potential to have a down year, they still find a win to finish 2nd or 3rd in the region. I don't see it any differently this year. Central has enough athletes and enough coaching to put them in the #3 spot like last year. I just don't think Powell or Halls has the horses to hang with them yet. That #4 spot is going to come down to intangibles. On paper, Halls should slide into that #4 easily, but it seems like every time Powell is predicted to have a bad year with no returning talent, someone steps up. This could be the first year since 2000 that Powell may lack a true play-maker. Personally, having that one play-maker has really hurt the Panthers come playoff time, because it's easy to gameplan against a team with one offensive stud. Ask Maryville; everytime they've played Powell in the 2nd round of the playoffs, they shutdown that one single element. Matt Lowe is going to be challenged a lot this year, having to replace both the O and D-lines. I would like to see him take the bull by the horns and put his mark on this team.

QUOTE(LEONARDSLOSERS @ Jan 18 2007 - 12:02 PM) 826336327[/snapback]

I have to agree, but Powell, and Central are down, while Halls has come up just ever so slightly. I think that Central is still better than both, but we'll have to wait and see. Central has two young athletes that are two of the best. They have two more years as well. While not sure how Halls will fair. Every time they have a huge class of good athletes they have not panned out (in recent years). Powell is always big, but lack that speed. They are getting some transfers that will soon stop. Central has the most to lose and Halls has the most to gain. Although Halls has had some tremendous youth programs they still have not shown the results from them. At least not in the last 6 years.

Leonardslosers.

As usual, right on the money. I see Central being ahead of both Halls, and Powell in that order next year. Also, I would not put it past the Bobcats with Wilson and Styles to get by West with Ryan & Easterly for the #2 spot. If Wilson stays healthy, they will really be able to control the clock against a team like West who is going to need big plays with the departure of their on Wilson (TJ) last year.

Position players on the offensive side of the ball:

If we look at the Bobcats we all know Jamie Wilson is a player he will be just a junior next year and had a 7.2 avg per carry for 777 yards last year as a sophomore. You have to think he will post Rogan type numbers next year if he stays healthy. Also with QB McMillian back at the helm with a 45% completion rate and passed for 1209 yards the Bobcats have a very credible one two punch. But with Kirkland, Blair, Taylor and Nelson gone who catches his passes next year? It must have to be Courtland Styles but is there anyone else to help in that area.

Halls have some under the radar type players at runningback and both are seniors last year Wesley Kitts quietly piled up 692 yards for a 7.13 average and Reese Kelley posted 366 yards for a 4.07 clip. Not much attention was given to them and they could be a huge difference for Halls success next year. Senior QB Gary Cooper surprised with a 44% completion rate and threw for 911 yards in a wing-t formation. Senior Daniel Dayton 737 yards with a 23.03 average will be a marked man. But Halls will have some younger talent to step up to help such as Junior Brandon Johnson and a couple of upcoming sophomore players. Halls for once will have some experience at the specialty positions.

Powell will have a very capable senior Matt Abba a 51% passer last year while sharing QB duties with Kenny Cruze. Senior Jordan Allen with a 4.2 average per carry will be relied heavily upon with running partner senior Tex Clemmons with a 3.4 average per carry. Both backs had limited opportunities due to not being the featured back last year. Senior Jimmy Franklin will lead the receiving corp with a 17 yard average and has good upside potential.

With what I see coming back on the offensive side of the ball all these teams have talented personel to win games. I just can't see one being so far superior than the other. I think this will lead to a very entertaining season ahead.

I agree with most on this thread. Upsets can occur. But, Central is still the strongest of the three with their linemen and a great back in Jamie Wilson they should finish no worse than third overall in the region. Halls will be alot better and should have beaten Powell last year. The Devils played to conservative and relied on the kicking game and field position. O'Conner just had one of those nights to forget. Powell may have a very tough season coming up. How do you lose Cruze, Lakin, McGaha & Bruhin and be as competitive. I don't see it. Halls should finish a strong fourth. Powell may be like Halls this past season rebuilding for the future.

QUOTE(Baseballmad @ Jan 19 2007 - 02:55 PM) 826337868[/snapback]

I agree with most on this thread. Upsets can occur. But, Central is still the strongest of the three with their linemen and a great back in Jamie Wilson they should finish no worse than third overall in the region. Halls will be alot better and should have beaten Powell last year. The Devils played to conservative and relied on the kicking game and field position. O'Conner just had one of those nights to forget. Powell may have a very tough season coming up. How do you lose Cruze, Lakin, McGaha & Bruhin and be as competitive. I don't see it. Halls should finish a strong fourth. Powell may be like Halls this past season rebuilding for the future.

To be fair in talking about the Halls/Powell game last fall, while O'Connor did miss some kicks, Powell turned the ball over twice - once inside the 7 yard line and once inside the 15 - against Halls last year. If they score either time, it negates both field goals and the extra point that O'Connor missed.

Absolutely right. Which the fumble had plagued the Panthers most of last season and followed them right into the playoffs with Red Bank. I'm sure Julian's gameplan was catered to keep it close and hope to win it with a Field Goal or a turnover. Most of his thoughts were to contain Cruze and shorten the game which he nearly accomplished. No way were we going to gain momentum running the ball against Powells big D-1 linemen and line backers this just wasn't going to happen and it didn't. Even our score was set up on a interception by Kevin Waggoner late in the game. The bright spot for Halls was the defense and their ability to hold Powell to only a fourth quarter score. This would have constituted a win in other circumstances but it didn't and it was a huge loss in the whole scheme of things for the Red Devils and knocked them out of playoff contention. The biggest dissapointment coming away from that game is we failed on offense due to being to conservative. Without a experienced kicker next year Halls will have to open it up they will have little choice.

There is no doubt Powell should have won that game going away with the personel they had. I think this year will be tougher for them them especially with having such a brutal schedule to contend with beside the Region games. It will perhaps come down to the Battle of Emory Road for that last playoff position again.

QUOTE(Baseballmad @ Jan 19 2007 - 03:47 PM) 826337931[/snapback]

Absolutely right. Which the fumble had plagued the Panthers most of last season and followed them right into the playoffs with Red Bank. I'm sure Julian's gameplan was catered to keep it close and hope to win it with a Field Goal or a turnover. Most of his thoughts were to contain Cruze and shorten the game which he nearly accomplished. No way were we going to gain momentum running the ball against Powells big D-1 linemen and line backers this just wasn't going to happen and it didn't. Even our score was set up on a interception by Kevin Waggoner late in the game. The bright spot for Halls was the defense and their ability to hold Powell to only a fourth quarter score. This would have constituted a win in other circumstances but it didn't and it was a huge loss in the whole scheme of things for the Red Devils and knocked them out of playoff contention. The biggest dissapointment coming away from that game is we failed on offense due to being to conservative. Without a experienced kicker next year Halls will have to open it up they will have little choice.

There is no doubt Powell should have won that game going away with the personel they had. I think this year will be tougher for them them especially with having such a brutal schedule to contend with beside the Region games. It will perhaps come down to the Battle of Emory Road for that last playoff position again.

I agree with you 100% on everything you said. History says that Halls and Powell games rarely turn out as they look to on paper. If memory serves, only once in the last ten years has either team won by double digits, and until Powell won in 2005 at Halls the home team had owned the game at its home field during that stretch, too.

I really do like Kevin Julian, both personally and as a coach. If he can keep Halls kids in Halls, he'll have Halls back to being a playoff team on a regular basis.

I am hopeful like yourself that both programs will flourish under their new coaching staffs. It certainly makes it more interesting for the fans of football in north knoxville to have rivalries that are not blow outs but hard fought affairs and the kids taking the memories with them long after the game has been contested. I am glad that many of the homegrown talent is now looking to stay and play for Halls. Kevin Julian still has a lot of work to do making kids and parents alike from moving to greener pastures. Once consistency is acheived and a few winning seasons are under his belt it will make his job that much easier.

One thing I do know is its hard to find a seat or even a place around the fence at a Halls Powell game. That in itself speaks volumes about this long standing rivalry. High school football at its finest.

Its also good to hear both programs are enjoying a large amount of interest from students to come out and join each squad. For years it seemed a steady decline in interest to play due to time commitments. I am glad this seems to be reversing its trend.