Ooltewah coach trouble?

hiway58

QUOTE(wrestler555 @ Jan 20 2007 - 04:22 PM) 826339143[/snapback]

coming straight from the dictionary...

"Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc."

there ya go.

As an black man and someone who is over 35 years old, there is only one application when that word is used. I believe that the team that it was being referred to was of black kids. You can sugarcoat and try to overlook it any way that helps you sleep at night but if that had been my son's coach......

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...then what? nothing! bc if u knew coach baker, then you would know what he meant by it. he always runs his mouth and says something stupid when hes mad. but he def didnt mean the n word towards african americans. he said that as soon as he said the n word. im sorry but those 2 basketball players that made this such a big deal are idiots. they just ruined this man's life. way to go.

QUOTE(wrestler555 @ Jan 20 2007 - 04:36 PM) 826339155[/snapback]

...then what? nothing! bc if u knew coach baker, then you would know what he meant by it. he always runs his mouth and says something stupid when hes mad. but he def didnt mean the n word towards african americans. he said that as soon as he said the n word. im sorry but those 2 basketball players that made this such a big deal are idiots. they just ruined this man's life. way to go.

Sounds like the coach ruined his own life....he's been in the public long enough to know that a white man using that word in front of black kids about black kids can not sweet talk and back track out of it. I think that the kids are standing their grounds on what's acceptable and what's not. I can't begin to describe what emotions run through an black person when a white person decides they want to express their thoughts with that word but it's an intense and overwhelming rush and those kids probably did the best thing by walking out instead of making an ugly scene uglier.

yeah yeah...i think what ur trying to say is a little ridiculous. the word means what it means, and nothing else. i've already posted what it means. and i can promise u he will not take back what he said. bc when he says something he means it. and one more thing...why is it that african americans are "allowed" to use this "n word" and white ppl cant?

OK... Baker used the N-Word and shouldnt have... but if you look up a few post then u will see a definition that describes the meaning for the word in this generation... .. That definition straight up explains every intention and meaning behind the word BAKER used... This word has multiple meanings... I understand where the African Americans are coming from when they say they are frustrated and i would be too... But this gives no one any right to slander anyting about Baker and make him look bad on the NEWS!!!!! Anyone who does this has guts but deffinently doesnt have a heart... Ive known the man better than anyone who is posting on this thread and i will tell you straight up that Baker is the furthest thing from a racist in the city of Ooltewah. If anything, he does more for the African American kids on his team than he does for the White kids. This comment should end this thread and it should be done with.... He shouldnt have used the word but i will be the first to let you know that he is not a racist nor did he single ne player out on either team and describe them using the N-WORD. He strictly described their actions with the word and once again that definition will explain what the word means.... ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!

QUOTE(wrestler555 @ Jan 20 2007 - 04:54 PM) 826339165[/snapback]

yeah yeah...i think what ur trying to say is a little ridiculous. the word means what it means, and nothing else. i've already posted what it means. and i can promise u he will not take back what he said. bc when he says something he means it. and one more thing...why is it that african americans are "allowed" to use this "n word" and white ppl cant?

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry but to answer your question, anyone can use any word(s) they want as long as they are willing to face the consequences. In this country, the word has one meaning....you can try to use any kind of logic to make it wrong or right but let's not insult anyone's intelligence by trying to put an new defintion on it. Do you use the word in your every day vocabulary?

QUOTE(owlsmane15 @ Jan 20 2007 - 04:58 PM) 826339166[/snapback]

OK... Baker used the N-Word and shouldnt have... but if you look up a few post then u will see a definition that describes the meaning for the word in this generation... .. That definition straight up explains every intention and meaning behind the word BAKER used... This word has multiple meanings... I understand where the African Americans are coming from when they say they are frustrated and i would be too... But this gives no one any right to slander anyting about Baker and make him look bad on the NEWS!!!!! Anyone who does this has guts but deffinently doesnt have a heart... Ive known the man better than anyone who is posting on this thread and i will tell you straight up that Baker is the furthest thing from a racist in the city of Ooltewah. If anything, he does more for the African American kids on his team than he does for the White kids. This comment should end this thread and it should be done with.... He shouldnt have used the word but i will be the first to let you know that he is not a racist nor did he single ne player out on either team and describe them using the N-WORD. He strictly described their actions with the word and once again that definition will explain what the word means.... ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!

So why didn't he just say what he meant instead of using an word that he knew would offend members of his own community? Look what happen to Michael Richards who's an comic, even if not a very good one. I've heard lots of comics use the word in their acts, yes I'm including all races of comics, but when you use that word in anger or to try to get back at people it becomes racist, even on an comic's stage. Here's the point, he shouldn't have use the word(s) in front of other people's kids. I'm sure those same black kids he has helped more than the white kids have also gave him talent on the court. What's his contributions to the black kids not on the team?

tell ya the truth i dont think i've ever said the word. I'm not trying to say Baker was right for saying the word at all. I mean he was def in the wrong. But all I'm trying to say is that, the whole situation got blown way to far out of perportion. I wouldnt be surprised if you dont see him on Good Morning America now that the NAACP got involved.

QUOTE(wrestler555 @ Jan 20 2007 - 05:17 PM) 826339182[/snapback]

tell ya the truth i dont think i've ever said the word. I'm not trying to say Baker was right for saying the word at all. I mean he was def in the wrong. But all I'm trying to say is that, the whole situation got blown way to far out of perportion. I wouldnt be surprised if you dont see him on Good Morning America now that the NAACP got involved.

Things with race usually do get blown out of proportion because neither side can see eye to eye. If the offended side doesn't show "enough resolve" then there is the perception of being weak which leads to even more offensive showings. If the accused side doesn't try to show that they aren't a "racist", then they have to live with an label. I'm not sure of the right answer in this situation but I do know that only the parents and students involved should see satisfaction. Maybe an week suspension, letter of reprimand and public apology could show needed discipline and forgiveness?

The excuses given by some of the Ooltewah faithful are laughable, and pitiful.

The man's actions, which he has admitted to, are indefensible.

Did he grab a dictionary at halftime to make sure the word was being used in the proper context? Come on.

From what I gather he is 60 years old, give or take a few years. He's old enough to know better.

Teachers and coaches, in particular are held to certain standards. They are examples for young people. He has failed the test, in a very public way.

He should be removed as coach, immediately. He should be given the chance to retire quietly from teaching, ASAP.

The teammates and parents who have spoken to the media have not "ruined the man's life." They spoke up for what is right, and are to be commended. The man himself is responsible for what he said, and should pay the consequences.

If anything, more students and parents should speak out when teachers say or do offensive things. I know of another TN coach who used the same word to refer to his own players (in front of other faculty members!) who is being protected, and the incident was covered up. At least in the Ooltewah case, justice may be done.

QUOTE(topvol98 @ Jan 20 2007 - 05:23 PM) 826339191[/snapback]

Things with race usually do get blown out of proportion because neither side can see eye to eye. If the offended side doesn't show "enough resolve" then there is the perception of being weak which leads to even more offensive showings. If the accused side doesn't try to show that they aren't a "racist", then they have to live with an label. I'm not sure of the right answer in this situation but I do know that only the parents and students involved should see satisfaction. Maybe an week suspension, letter of reprimand and public apology could show needed discipline and forgiveness?

that would be a an understandable punishment...I just don't want the man to lose his job. he's a harder worker and just an all around funny guy and i would hate to see him go down like this.

It is a horribly unfortunate situation. A coach should never use that word under any circumstances. No one can blame black kids for being angered, hurt, etc... when it was used in front of them.

We have all said things we should never have said. I would hope that Coach Baker's reputation (of which I am not famililar with) would be enough to prove his true heart for the kids he coaches for AND the kids he coaches against.

There are NO winners in a situation like this. Unfortunately in our country and here in the south feelings connected with this word and its use run very deep. I would think that no matter what happens there has been irreparable damage done.

A very unfortunate situation. One that saddens my heart for ALL involved.