Riverdale/Siegel Basketball

PHargis

Thanks for your thoughtful response, R'Man. I was kidding when I said he was a Riverdale graduate. My only problem with him, and again this is only my opinion, was letting the game get out of hand. They have a very tough job and will never be satisfactory to the fans. We did not have a girl get hurt. My point was that when the game gets too rough, there is that distinct possibility and last nights game was one that, in my opinion, got too rough. The officiating was probably not as bad as my perception. As I said, I am biased toward Siegel and will be the first to admit that I'd be a terrible ref. Knowing this, I would never attempt it. Unfortunately, I have seen some that do it anyway.

I don't think we are talking about the same play when Spurlock had her legs taken out. The Riverdale player pushed under her as she back peddled away from the basket and she did not fall down. As you can see, this report on the officiating was under the Biased and Opinion sections of my post. I think constructive criticism is great and I expect it when I make a less than intelligent observation. and is one of the things I most enjoy about Coach T. I love hearing from other people on here and what they think.

I am an unabashed Siegel fan and hate to see them lose. BUT, Riverdale has a great tradition and is a great basketball team this year. I think Siegel has the potential, but hasn't executed this year. I guess that is why they play the games.

Riverdale won and I applaude them. We did not lose because I think many of the calls were bad. They were called the same way for both teams and I guess that is the most important element. I just think they can do better and the TSSAA needs to provide training and oversight to help all officials be better at what they do. They are certainly not in it for the money.

Sorry for the long winded response, but I have lots of wind. In retrospect, I probably should have never made the post. It was not my intentiont to show any lack of respect toward these guys, just trying to be funny, but guess it is never a good idea to try and be funny at anyone else's expense. Thanks for calling me out on the inaccuracies.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not at the game, but have seen both teams play this year. I'll make some general observations by the post, but then I want some 'details' by the folks that were at the game. I have seen some of the worst ref'ing this year EVER. While they will call a 'jump' ball in a SECOND, they will not call a charge or foul away from the ball. Girls AND boys games have become too physical this year, they are worried about the little stuff vs. keeping the game safe... ergghhh. I know they work hard, but geez.... set a precidence early vs. late in the game when it is too late and it appears unfair and inconsistent to fans.

Did Siegel play zone?? What happened to the outside game for Siegel (normally strong). Is Faulkner hurt, or not getting PT? Where was Siegenthaler??

AML is an awesome player, but she can be contained with a good game plan. Was Riverdale better prepared for any kind of defense thrown at them?

From a huge women's basketball fan... give me some info...

Mort,

Siegel's game plan was to keep Bivens in check, let Manning get her points and make the other three players beat them. They came out in a box and one and jammed the paint. AML played her usual stellar game, although did not have an outstanding first half. Bivens was shut down (4 points for the game) Faulker had the assignment and did a great job defensively. An unguarded Jessica Whitens hit 3 three pointers in a row and Siegel fell behind by 11, making a change in defense manditory. The officials called lots of fouls, but let the game get too physical, in my opinion, and let some blantant fouls and ball handling errors go uncalled. {Both ways}

Riverdale played a smothering defense and denied many open 3 points opportunities, although I don't know why we did not take more shots from the outside when the opportunity arose. I do not know if this was Coach dictated or a reluctance by the players, but we took very few. Sieg and MO did not take many shots at all. This year, Siegel has had a hard time coming back from a big deficit, but did this last night, getting within 2 twice in the 4th. I do know that we wanted it to be close going into the 4th quarter and they accomplished that.

If Siegel would have made their foul shots, they would have had the opportunity to win. I don't know why, but we fouled Laning 4 times in the last two minutes and paid an 8 point premium. Taking nothing away from Riverdale, we needed to foul someone else, anyone else, smack the official, kick a fan, but don't foul AML. All said and done, it was a great, competitive High School game. Riverdale was expected to win and did, but the third time is the charm. Both teams really needed this one and Riverdale emerged victorious. Anyone that was there enjoyed a great game. I was disappointed in the R'dale turn out, as there were many empty seats on the visitor side.

The job gets no easier for Siegel with Cookeville(A), Oakland(H), Lebanon(H), Blackman(H) and White County(A) looming on the horizon. With the loss, Siegel probably is out of the hunt for the District crown.

QUOTE(Morton @ Jan 24 2007 - 11:38 PM) 826344911[/snapback]

I was not at the game, but have seen both teams play this year. I'll make some general observations by the post, but then I want some 'details' by the folks that were at the game. I have seen some of the worst ref'ing this year EVER. While they will call a 'jump' ball in a SECOND, they will not call a charge or foul away from the ball. Girls AND boys games have become too physical this year, they are worried about the little stuff vs. keeping the game safe... ergghhh. I know they work hard, but geez.... set a precidence early vs. late in the game when it is too late and it appears unfair and inconsistent to fans.

Did Siegel play zone?? What happened to the outside game for Siegel (normally strong). Is Faulkner hurt, or not getting PT? Where was Siegenthaler??

AML is an awesome player, but she can be contained with a good game plan. Was Riverdale better prepared for any kind of defense thrown at them?

From a huge women's basketball fan... give me some info...

In addition to Pres comments, if you have seen Siegel play, Coach Bush is capable of playing just about any kind of defense, Mo and Sig are starters. Yes, he did play a box and one and Mo and Alex had one of those games that they have had at other times during this series with neither of them giving any quarter. As a sidelight Alex Bevins is one of the most underestimated players in the district. Her play has allowed things to open up for RD and allow AMD to go one on one against all teams. For the purist, this was the obvious thing Siegel had to do, to stop RD second best player to have a chance to win. Bush's plan worked except the box did not collapse enough when AML drove and she got too many close shots. It may not happen but for a player that has taken a beating this year and the rest of the season will take even more of one and is very "court smart", I cannot imagine too many or even any player that can take a game on her back any more than AML does. Sure she gets criticism and sometimes she may try it too much but if shes not a leading contender for AAA Miss Basketball, it would surprise me.

On your question about the scoring, all of the outside players at Siegel are scoring about 10 pts a game and Bush's team philosophy of coaching would not allow anything else. Parrot, a 1000 pt career player along with very likely close to 700 rebounds, will almost always get the first look and her stats will tell anyone why. All of the outside players are capable of exploding with high point output but there has to be a reason. While Allie Wright takes the point most of the time, all three can and do play it also with two having a very high asst percentage. All of this said, this team is not close to reaching its potential and has lost some big games.

why doesnt spurlock play more? when she is in there she contributes but that is good for us LOL

Starspress...i agreed with most of what you said about the offciating i just thought the one did a good job and the young one was way over his head and the older one was just a little below average

I do think that the officating this year has been BETTER than it has the past few years..OVERALL

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Jan 25 2007 - 07:01 PM) 826346016[/snapback]

why doesnt spurlock play more? when she is in there she contributes but that is good for us LOL

Starspress...i agreed with most of what you said about the offciating i just thought the one did a good job and the young one was way over his head and the older one was just a little below average

I do think that the officating this year has been BETTER than it has the past few years..OVERALL

RDman, You have found the obvious which just got better but has yet to gain confidence. Spurlock is a player that has not reached her potential in any way but is still a good player. Spurlock was expected to be a very good player only when you looked at performance of last year, not even the improvement expected with work last summer and this year. Here is a 6' plus player that had worked on her moves and board work, had an ACL this summer and has just recovered. As you very likely realize, here is a post player that has a lot of ability shooting threes. the ACl at the first of the season effected her mobility but tht seems to be better. Her absence from the line up did make some difference but the most it did was curtail the development she was going thru. if you think of the rash of acl's that '

RD went thru last year you can appreciate what this player has gome thru. Danielle Spurlock is a player that has a double lot of improvement in front of her if she decides to play further.

QUOTE(PHargis @ Jan 25 2007 - 08:26 PM) 826346049[/snapback]

RDman, You have found the obvious which just got better but has yet to gain confidence. Spurlock is a player that has not reached her potential in any way but is still a good player. Spurlock was expected to be a very good player only when you looked at performance of last year, not even the improvement expected with work last summer and this year. Here is a 6' plus player that had worked on her moves and board work, had an ACL this summer and has just recovered. As you very likely realize, here is a post player that has a lot of ability shooting threes. the ACl at the first of the season effected her mobility but tht seems to be better. Her absence from the line up did make some difference but the most it did was curtail the development she was going thru. if you think of the rash of acl's that '

RD went thru last year you can appreciate what this player has gome thru. Danielle Spurlock is a player that has a double lot of improvement in front of her if she decides to play further.

i get onto her uncle all the time as to why she isnt at Riverdale LOL I think she could have put us over the top almost no doubt

as far as knee injuries man did we have a lot last year seemed llike every week one of the girls was getting hurt

i have heard that brittney steen was doing pretty good although it has been a month or so since i talked to her(christmas)and that is encouraging (she was 1 of the girls with a knee injury)