7-AA Player of the Year/MVP

dctigerfan07

QUOTE(basketballnut @ Jan 25 2007 - 11:04 AM) 826345324[/snapback]

I promise you any Upperman player will trade in an MVP award for the District, region and State Championship.

That's absolutely true. That is not what this discussion is about. Upperman is ranked #1 in the state. I think...at this time...they deserve that ranking. There is not one player on Upperman's team that compares with Kayci for the impact of any game.

That's the bottom line. Will Kayci get the award? It doesn't matter. I do think she deserves it. If one of Upperman's players get it...I am sure they would be deserving too.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(OWLSRULE @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:17 AM) 826345245[/snapback]

Let Ferris and Dyer, or any other player in the district for that matter, play one on one-no help, no double or triple teams. I think we all know who wins. Period. Not only does she have great stats w/ points, boards and blocks but she would probably have 5 or 6 assists/game if her teammates could catch and finish. Sorry, nobody compares in the district. Not even Dyer.

I would say the only girl Ferris would have trouble beating would be Davis from Upperman, or possibly a couple others from Upperman. Simply because she can shoot outside, and if Ferris goes outside of the paint, she will drive around her. On offense, obviously no one could handle her really. As far as MVP goes, she has the numbers, but I doubt she gets it this year, but you could possibly see her get 3 years in a row. She still has lots of room for improvement, like someone said earlier, getting it taken away from smaller girls, and out hustled. She sometimes seems a little lazy or lax, because she knows how valuable she is. She could be really good, if she learns to keep the ball up some more and use her body to block off the defender. I never see her turn and just use one hand to shoot, like a baby hook or so. She always shoots like a jump shot, granted she has a good one, I'd like to see her take it at someone.

I know right now this doesn't matter because there is really only one girl in the district who can compete with her, but when she gets to play college ball if she does for a big school, she will have to learn to develop more because even though she may still be taller, those girls are far more athletic than these around here, and herself as well possibly.

QUOTE(dctigerfan07 @ Jan 25 2007 - 12:54 PM) 826345533[/snapback]

i guess finding an mvp in a district like this one is never gonna be easy OR never a given. Anything can happen with the votes...

It is hard because most would agree this is one of the toughest districts in the state there is some good talent on almost every team. Farris from Smith is a tremendous player and if she doesn't get injured she will have plenty of MVP awards over her career and if she continues to improve she will sign with a big time D-1 school, but this year it should go to Davis she leads one of the best teams in the state, take nothing away from Smith, but Upperman is #1 and she leads there team

Ok sorry to stir up such a buzz. But DCTiger fan i'm sorry if it sounded like i took offense to your post. I didn't mean it to in any way. What I'm trying to say is it seems like most of you are saying the award should go to the girl that most helps her team? am i right? Well if that is what you are saying I just have a few questions. Please don't get upset at my post just wondering what you all think about it. Let's say that Dekalb (we know dekalb is struggling so that is why i use them in this example, please don't take offense) has one girl that can get the ball up the court verses pressure. With the defensive pressure applied in this district she would probably be their best player or MVP, simply because she can handle the ball. Well does this make her the MVP of the district because she can get the ball past half court. Which would be pretty valuable by the way. Because of the fact that she is more valuable to her team does not mean she is the best player in the district. The award is called the DISTRICT 7AA Most Valuable Player. It's not Upperman's most valuable player, or Smith Counties most valuable player or Livingstons. It is the Most valuable player in the district. To me it means the best or most outstanding player in the district. Just my opinion.

By the way the game at between Upperman and Smith county could have been another blow out. Upperman didn't even press until the 4th quarter. And i think we know what happened the first time they played and the press was on in the first half. I think we were up like 40??? Anyways I just don't think she is the best player in the district. and that is what i think the award is about. i may be wrong. I also don't believe she could beat any starter on the upperman team one on one. Her feet are too slow to guard them.

Oh and i agree with whoever it was that said they considered mathews a candidate for MVP. She is a good player. Sorry If i made someone mad, because that's not what i'm trying to do. Just trying to understand everyones argument. Thanks.

QUOTE(Z King of D Swing @ Jan 25 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826345573[/snapback]

I would say the only girl Ferris would have trouble beating would be Davis from Upperman, or possibly a couple others from Upperman. Simply because she can shoot outside, and if Ferris goes outside of the paint, she will drive around her. On offense, obviously no one could handle her really. As far as MVP goes, she has the numbers, but I doubt she gets it this year, but you could possibly see her get 3 years in a row. She still has lots of room for improvement, like someone said earlier, getting it taken away from smaller girls, and out hustled. She sometimes seems a little lazy or lax, because she knows how valuable she is. She could be really good, if she learns to keep the ball up some more and use her body to block off the defender. I never see her turn and just use one hand to shoot, like a baby hook or so. She always shoots like a jump shot, granted she has a good one, I'd like to see her take it at someone.

I know right now this doesn't matter because there is really only one girl in the district who can compete with her, but when she gets to play college ball if she does for a big school, she will have to learn to develop more because even though she may still be taller, those girls are far more athletic than these around here, and herself as well possibly.

Agreed...but you are talking about a high school freshman...not senior. How many great centers have you seen in high school as a freshman? Heck...they're lucky to get to dress.

QUOTE(dctigerfan07 @ Jan 25 2007 - 08:22 AM) 826345071[/snapback]

Yopu sated the problem right there. You just said that Lashay deserves mvp, but your vote goes to Taylor. Where is the fairness in this? The whole team cannot win mvp. Im sorry that you are taking my opinions as an insult because that is the farthest from the truth. This Upperman team is the BEST team i have ever seen, without competition. If they get beaten, it isnt because the other team is actually better, i can guarantee you they only had an off night. But anyway, yes, my pick for mvp is Kayci Ferris. And how can people actually say "Oh she's 6'8" thats not fair!" Do you think she chose to be that tall? Nope. Does she still have to practice and work for what she does? Yep. Is that the only reason she is any good? No. Ive seen plenty of relativly tall people who could couldnt hit the broad side of a barn. She is extremely talented and wil deserve this award if she wins it, as will one of the Upperman girls if they get it. Like i said Bee fan, dont take this as an insult because that isnt even close.

WHAT IF SHE HAD TO HANDLE THE BALL UP COURT, RUN THE FAST BREAK OR FULL COURT PRESS,SHE'S A VERY GOOD SCORER AND SHOT BLOCKER BECAUSE OF HER HEIGHT AND EVERY TEAM WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HER BUT A MVP SHOULD BE AT LEAST BE ON TEAM CHALLENGING FOR A TOP SEED.ANY WEAK TEAM WITH A GOOD PLAYER WILL HAVE GOOD STATS(and i don't think thats case here)but i remember webb school had player averae 34 points a game and never made it out of district ,was he mvp only to his team not whole district

QUOTE(Z King of D Swing @ Jan 25 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826345573[/snapback]

king of d swing will she be in aa next 3 years rumor has she'll be a rbs bulldog

QUOTE(senator @ Jan 25 2007 - 05:46 PM) 826345919[/snapback]

WHAT IF SHE HAD TO HANDLE THE BALL UP COURT, RUN THE FAST BREAK OR FULL COURT PRESS,SHE'S A VERY GOOD SCORER AND SHOT BLOCKER BECAUSE OF HER HEIGHT AND EVERY TEAM WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HER BUT A MVP SHOULD BE AT LEAST BE ON TEAM CHALLENGING FOR A TOP SEED.ANY WEAK TEAM WITH A GOOD PLAYER WILL HAVE GOOD STATS(and i don't think thats case here)but i remember webb school had player averae 34 points a game and never made it out of district ,was he mvp only to his team not whole district

Gee...she's not a guard...she's a center. Yeah...anybody could have 25 points...15 rebounds...and 12 blocks a game on a weak team. Yeah...happens all the time.

The transfer rumors are just that...rumors. I think she is very happy at home. I've heard she's transferring to JC...RBS...Shelbyville...Wilson Central. Wonder what I'll hear tomorrow?

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jan 25 2007 - 06:35 PM) 826345992[/snapback]

Gee...she's not a guard...she's a center. Yeah...anybody could have 25 points...15 rebounds...and 12 blocks a game on a weak team. Yeah...happens all the time.

The transfer rumors are just that...rumors. I think she is very happy at home. I've heard she's transferring to JC...RBS...Shelbyville...Wilson Central. Wonder what I'll hear tomorrow?

she'll be in SC the rest of her high school...prolly safe to say. and if she doesnt win this year...she'll win it the next 3 years. ppl say its cuz she's 6'8...but the girl can play...especially for a freshman. she is the most valuable player...take away her ur takin away maybe the most dominant post prescense in the state. her impact on a single game is unreal. teams r shut down in the paint. u have to be able to light it up from outside to have a chance. and whats the scariest thing...she'll only get better.