WHAT REGION HAS THE BEST AND THE WORST REF'S

KEV-O

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(soms @ Jan 24 2007 - 09:07 AM) 826343756[/snapback]

Middle TN officiating is coming right along and the less experienced refs work closley with the more experienced ones (P. A., Jack Faircloth, T. Able, Brian Dunning, Gannon, David Holcumb, Neff, the Clark - combo, and many others) to improve. They were trying to get ol' Jeff Hudgens to come back out, but he won't.

There were probably 30+ officials calling matches last weekend and 80 or so there in attendance from middle TN. Numbers look strong and I know they are working hard to improve quality.

Soms,

The quality is down from what it once was and it will probably never be that good again. The problem is the actual wrestling experience of the officials now is way down and that does influence judgment calls. Look @ the previous post and you will see the experience that retired.

MEMPHIS REF'S ARE VERY BAD!!! THE "GOOD" COACHES KNOW THIS IS SOOO TRUE. they stink AT MAKING STALLING CALLS, THEY ARE TOO LAZY TO GET ON THE MAT TO COUNT BACK POINTS, they stink AT CALLING PINS AND THEY LACK THE KNOWLEDGE OF "AGGRESSIVE" WRESTLING!!!! I THINK ALL MEMPHIS REF'S NEED TO ATTEND A COACHES CLINIC IN MAKING GOOD SOLID CALLS. NOT SLOPPY ONES.

QUOTE(THECRIPDEVIL @ Jan 23 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826343133[/snapback]

I know Region 1 ref's are not the best but we have a few good one's hear and there.

I'd like to go public record as saying that I think ALL the referrees do a WONDERFUL job of calling matches and that EACH & EVERY one of them are truly FINE individuals. Especially the ones who ref my kid's matches.

Respectfully submitted,

Eddie Haskall

QUOTE(harry thornton @ Jan 24 2007 - 03:26 PM) 826344261[/snapback]

I'd like to go public record as saying that I think ALL the referrees do a WONDERFUL job of calling matches and that EACH & EVERY one of them are truly FINE individuals. Especially the ones who ref my kid's matches.

Respectfully submitted,

Eddie Haskall

Thank you, Eddie. I second that. With the exception , though, of the striped fellows in the McCeachern area. (Spelling minus 1 I'm sure). The local guys work hard to get it right. The guys down south don't seem to work at much of anything

Wow what a topic to start just before Regions... I must say though in all sports the hardest working is the wrestling ref... Some tournaments where kids max out at 5 matches most refs do anywhere from 50 to 75 matches alone... That is a lot of work if you ask me.. As for who has the better officials that is hard to say because you have the Chattanooga side of the line and there are some great officials there and guess what they have some that need to improve also... Mid Tenn officials lets face it they have a lager load to deal with. The go all the way down to Lincoln County all the way up too Cookville and Clarkesville. They go to Tullahomana and Warren county. Dont for get Dickson and Harpeth too. This is a pretty big area to cover if you ask me. They also cover 3 different middle school leagues. So id think they are strung out pretty thin with only having 48 officials . Some of those are semi retired... We all know that some great refs have retired across over the years. There are still some great officials left and they do a great job at what they do. There are some coming up through the ranks that are getting better each year... I dont know much about Memphis or Knoxville since I dont go and watch up there very often.... The bottem line is that the officials dont get the respect they should. I know that I would have a hard time doing what they do, and putting up with the crap that they put up with too..... So parents and coaches and even westlers lets all remeber to say thanks every once in a while to these guys because we dont want to run off all of them off because we would be stuck with coaches refereeing.....

QUOTE(amIaCoach @ Jan 24 2007 - 06:47 PM) 826344476[/snapback]

Wow what a topic to start just before Regions... I must say though in all sports the hardest working is the wrestling ref... Some tournaments where kids max out at 5 matches most refs do anywhere from 50 to 75 matches alone... That is a lot of work if you ask me.. As for who has the better officials that is hard to say because you have the Chattanooga side of the line and there are some great officials there and guess what they have some that need to improve also... Mid Tenn officials lets face it they have a lager load to deal with. The go all the way down to Lincoln County all the way up too Cookville and Clarkesville. They go to Tullahomana and Warren county. Dont for get Dickson and Harpeth too. This is a pretty big area to cover if you ask me. They also cover 3 different middle school leagues. So id think they are strung out pretty thin with only having 48 officials . Some of those are semi retired... We all know that some great refs have retired across over the years. There are still some great officials left and they do a great job at what they do. There are some coming up through the ranks that are getting better each year... I dont know much about Memphis or Knoxville since I dont go and watch up there very often.... The bottem line is that the officials dont get the respect they should. I know that I would have a hard time doing what they do, and putting up with the crap that they put up with too..... So parents and coaches and even westlers lets all remeber to say thanks every once in a while to these guys because we dont want to run off all of them off because we would be stuck with coaches refereeing.....

I agree. And what makes the good ones good is their hard work. Their hustle to get on the mat. To be ahead of what's going on and their absolute intensity to get it right. It's also what makes the bad ones stick out like a sore thumb.

QUOTE(wtenref @ Jan 24 2007 - 03:04 PM) 826344231[/snapback]

MEMPHIS REF'S ARE VERY BAD!!! THE "GOOD" COACHES KNOW THIS IS SOOO TRUE. they stink AT MAKING STALLING CALLS, THEY ARE TOO LAZY TO GET ON THE MAT TO COUNT BACK POINTS, they stink AT CALLING PINS AND THEY LACK THE KNOWLEDGE OF "AGGRESSIVE" WRESTLING!!!! I THINK ALL MEMPHIS REF'S NEED TO ATTEND A COACHES CLINIC IN MAKING GOOD SOLID CALLS. NOT SLOPPY ONES.

I think you have to call a spade a spade and by saying that the Memphis referees leave something to be desired would be an understatement. I brought up this topic last year and unfortunately the issue is still an issue, they are easily the worst refs in the state - bar none and yes the good Memphis coaches know it, but these same guys ref every match or just about every one and they happen to be brothers or cousins.

I was at a match last night and a takedown was called on the edge with no control, but because it was a state ranked team -vs- a mediocre team the ref gave the takedown to the ranked team's wrestler. The same ref called potentially dangerous when the bottom wrestler stood up on the top man with leg in - all four feet and the bottom man's two hands were on the floor, but he called potentially dangerous. Wrong call - yes - most definitely and he knew it after he made the call because I said that's not right very loudly and he just shrugged.

Nothin has been done to correct mistakes so I don't think the blame can be passed only to the refs, as I feel that the state has to take some responsibility.

I think we are beating a dead horse. Bitching about it won't change a darn thing. Until the coaches or former elite wrestlers from Memphis don the stripes and call it like they see it nothing will change.

One important note for all you guys that love to bad mouth officials (and I used to on occasion myself)... before you say one bad thing, go out there and put on the stripes,,, or at least go call wrestle offs with the parents present, if the coach allows it.

Deal with the confrontation and split second calls that you must make as the clock runs out and/or as the wrestlers are heading out of bounds. Deal with stalling calls. Try to make the right call on a TD or pin while you are trying to protect the wrestlers from injury. Heck, in Chattanooga they have only one ref for the big ones where as in Middle TN they usually have two (unlike MBA, BA and FR had last week though). Hey, we all have bad days at work. Imagine making the big calls under pressure in front of 2000 screaming folks. All they get is about $5 a match.

It takes so much time and practice to get good at this. It is entirely another sport.

My hat's off to all those who call these matches.

Thanks to those who also teaches and mentors others, especially the young ones. Who comes to your mind... Maybe Donnie Elsie, Danny Gilbert, or Mike Craft. I've noticed this out of some of our best here in Middle TN and can't say enough about some of those, and you know who you are ... those that have been knocked out while trying to keep our boys safe... And some of you that step up and become medical professionals when that unfortunate injury occurs, i.e, David Holcomb.

Let these guys work on their jobs as we all must do in life, as human beings.

QUOTE(soms @ Jan 24 2007 - 08:42 PM) 826344613[/snapback]

One important note for all you guys that love to bad mouth officials (and I used to on occasion myself)... before you say one bad thing, go out there and put on the stripes,,, or at least go call wrestle offs with the parents present, if the coach allows it.

Deal with the confrontation and split second calls that you must make as the clock runs out and/or as the wrestlers are heading out of bounds. Deal with stalling calls. Try to make the right call on a TD or pin while you are trying to protect the wrestlers from injury. Heck, in Chattanooga they have only one ref for the big ones where as in Middle TN they usually have two (unlike MBA, BA and FR had last week though). Hey, we all have bad days at work. Imagine making the big calls under pressure in front of 2000 screaming folks. All they get is about $5 a match.

It takes so much time and practice to get good at this. It is entirely another sport.

My hat's off to all those who call these matches.

Thanks to those who also teaches and mentors others, especially the young ones. Who comes to your mind... Maybe Donnie Elsie, Danny Gilbert, or Mike Craft. I've noticed this out of some of our best here in Middle TN and can't say enough about some of those, and you know who you are ... those that have been knocked out while trying to keep our boys safe... And some of you that step up and become medical professionals when that unfortunate injury occurs, i.e, David Holcomb.

Let these guys work on their jobs as we all must do in life, as human beings.

What I ask for is an effort. Mistakes happen. Judgement calls happen. The breaks don't always go to the good guys. But, for the hours of work that the wrestlers put in, it chaps my dunigan to watch a lazy ref.