So now they want to ban "indian" mascots

DBGRAD70

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:20 AM) 826346740[/snapback]

I foresee some sort of compromise here...I see dropping the Redskins name...it truly is a racial slur...changing the Indian mascot to a middle-eastern convenience store clerk and Warrior and Brave to a US soldier and Chiefs to Prez Dubya.

Too late, they have decided to change the name to the Chemicals. Eastman is paying big bucks as a corporate sponsor. The mascot emblem will be the skull and cross bones sign for dangerous chemicals. It is predicted the simple name change will cause ACT scores to climb 10%.

The Culleoka Cantaloupes. Culleoka is known for the delicious melons and they aren't offended.

or

The Fighting Marsupials..........cuz they're faaassst

Or from the Rush Limbaugh Institute of Higher Learning,

The E. I. B.'s. Playing flawlessly today with half our skills tied behind our back. (You'd have to listen to Rush to get it I guess)

Or like the Eastman Chemicals. Pick corporate sponsors.....

John Deere- Nobody runs on the Deere!

Frito-Lays- Noone can beat our one-three-one!

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:20 AM) 826346740[/snapback]

I foresee some sort of compromise here...I see dropping the Redskins name...it truly is a racial slur...changing the Indian mascot to a middle-eastern convenience store clerk and Warrior and Brave to a US soldier and Chiefs to Prez Dubya.

So barb, what are you trying to say? First you point us to a leftist web site that contains a bunch of bull. Then you try to be funny with the above remarks. Finally you insult a fellow human being by calling him obtuse.

Just where do you stand?

If your favorite local team had a long heritage based on an indian mascot (say from the early 20th century) and much of school pride and tradition was based on that mascot, would you set back and let these nut cases (the will of the very few) change all that?

Come on. Come out of that shell and be honest.

I am of Indian heritage...as well as Irish...but the use of Warrior, Redskins, or the such like is of no more offense to me than any other mascot.....I think this will be swept under the rug and forgotten about....if so mascots would be very limited...what about rebels and fighting irish and commodores and pirates...I mean really people....

I'm not Indian but here's how I see this. If the school is making a mockery of the Indian culture, then I think that's wrong. But as an Indian like you guys said,I'd be proud, that people are using a nickname of my culture in a proud way. What happens next, a school is nicknamed the Hillbillies and the whole state signs a petition to make the name removed?