So now they want to ban "indian" mascots

DBGRAD70

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Jan 26 2007 - 07:11 PM) 826347355[/snapback]

So barb, what are you trying to say? First you point us to a leftist web site that contains a bunch of bull. Then you try to be funny with the above remarks. Finally you insult a fellow human being by calling him obtuse.

Just where do you stand?

If your favorite local team had a long heritage based on an indian mascot (say from the early 20th century) and much of school pride and tradition was based on that mascot, would you set back and let these nut cases (the will of the very few) change all that?

Come on. Come out of that shell and be honest.

The "leftist web site" I directed you to is Acuracy in Academia and is a right wing thinktank. The article linked is a right wing assessment of the official opinion handed down by the human rights commission in 2001.

I personally have no stand...however I do think it is as ludicrous for people to get so upset because a school might lose their mascot. These people who are petitioning the commission at least have a moral position for their complaint...some of them might be legitimately offended. I don't really think a schools pride and tradition carries quite the same weight as someone's race. We don't call our teams the Wops,Greasers, Pollocks, Chinks,Spics or the N word but we are perfectly OK with Redskins? If you talk to some of these people, (and I have),you will find it really isn't the name Warrior or Brave or Chief that bothers them as much the use of the cartoonish use of their likenesses and traditional religious symbols.

Yeah, with the world in the state its in, this seems like a silly issue to most of us. But the native americans have been shafted by us europeans for centuries and I would imagine they would like to win at least 1 battle.

So what is it really going to hurt if a football team has to change its mascot...besides finally losing one to the Indians.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is an idea...maybe some kind of vote between the indians or excuse me politically correct "american natives" if they can "prove" they have some indian blood line then they should vote as to whether or not it bothers them or if they want this 2 go further. i feel like the majority wld say they wld have no problem as i am one of them. why is it that a few get 2 speak for many and then have 2 make it such a problem for alot???

QUOTE(unc4life @ Jan 27 2007 - 09:27 PM) 826348599[/snapback]

here is an idea...maybe some kind of vote between the indians or excuse me politically correct "american natives" if they can "prove" they have some indian blood line then they should vote as to whether or not it bothers them or if they want this 2 go further. i feel like the majority wld say they wld have no problem as i am one of them. why is it that a few get 2 speak for many and then have 2 make it such a problem for alot???

Probably because like every election, only those who care would vote.

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 27 2007 - 07:37 PM) 826348498[/snapback]

The "leftist web site" I directed you to is Acuracy in Academia and is a right wing thinktank. The article linked is a right wing assessment of the official opinion handed down by the human rights commission in 2001.

I personally have no stand...however I do think it is as ludicrous for people to get so upset because a school might lose their mascot. These people who are petitioning the commission at least have a moral position for their complaint...some of them might be legitimately offended. I don't really think a schools pride and tradition carries quite the same weight as someone's race. We don't call our teams the Wops,Greasers, Pollocks, Chinks,Spics or the N word but we are perfectly OK with Redskins? If you talk to some of these people, (and I have),you will find it really isn't the name Warrior or Brave or Chief that bothers them as much the use of the cartoonish use of their likenesses and traditional religious symbols.

Yeah, with the world in the state its in, this seems like a silly issue to most of us. But the native americans have been shafted by us europeans for centuries and I would imagine they would like to win at least 1 battle.

So what is it really going to hurt if a football team has to change its mascot...besides finally losing one to the Indians.

barb, I am offended by your comments. By your logic you should not be allowed to make those comments on this board, should you?

This world is full of people who are offended by something. The native americans who are offended are almost certainly a minute minority because any normal thinking person would see that most schools use the indian mascot with great respect - just as it is used at DB - in the gym for instance...

If every minority's "offense" were fixed, there would be nothing left in this country- which is the way it would be if you had it your way.

Of course I have to remember that you are a Greenville fan. I remember well the last encounter we had with your football fans in your stadium. Absolutely unsportsmanlike jeers directed at our band and football team. A pathetic display. I guess I should expect this from you.

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Jan 27 2007 - 09:19 PM) 826348693[/snapback]

barb, I am offended by your comments. By your logic you should not be allowed to make those comments on this board, should you?

This world is full of people who are offended by something. The native americans who are offended are almost certainly a minute minority because any normal thinking person would see that most schools use the indian mascot with great respect - just as it is used at DB - in the gym for instance...

If every minority's "offense" were fixed, there would be nothing left in this country- which is the way it would be if you had it your way.

Of course I have to remember that you are a Greenville fan. I remember well the last encounter we had with your football fans in your stadium. Absolutely unsportsmanlike jeers directed at our band and football team. A pathetic display. I guess I should expect this from you.

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:19 PM) 826348693[/snapback]

What exactly offended you enough to attack me because of where I live and the team I support. If it was the racial slurs...then I made my point. If any actions are ever taken on this matter, there will be no "well you can use this mascot because it is tasteful and respectful and your intentions are good but you can't use that one because it's offensive". It will be all references to and likenesses of native americans and their symbols. Unfortunately that is the way it works...all or nothing. I seriously doubt if the Human Rights Commission does anything more that opines on the subject...of course the State Board of Education could cave to the pressure of impending lawsuits that our already over-extended educational system cannot afford.

This could, in light of the publicity, bear some fruit for the state indian commission.

I just hope it doesn't degenerate into another Indian War.

QUOTE(phx1best @ Jan 28 2007 - 04:07 PM) 826349356[/snapback]

I agree! Beautiful artwork! Have any idea who painted it on your gym wall, DBgrad70?

I do not know. It is somewhat recent - last 10 years I think. I suspect it was painted by students in the Art dept. Perhaps someone else on here knows. Wouldn't it be ironic if it was painted by a native american.