Terrible Calls In 7-AA

wildcat6

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wildcat6 @ Jan 25 2007 - 04:10 PM) 826345789[/snapback]

I've seen some terrible calls this year on both sides more than usual. Does anyone else think so?

A T on Smith Co. because of to many players on floor while subbing, when actually one ref summoned the player to come in, the other started the game and called a T. Ref who called the T, just said my bad.

QUOTE(Z King of D Swing @ Jan 25 2007 - 04:17 PM) 826345796[/snapback]

A T on Smith Co. because of to many players on floor while subbing, when actually one ref summoned the player to come in, the other started the game and called a T. Ref who called the T, just said my bad.

That is unacceptable on the refs part they have to justify a call better than saying "my bad". I've never seen more technicals called than this season in a game between Cannon and Macon there were three called in the game. One of them was because a small basketball rolled out on the floor from the stands and the refs called a technical on Cannon without knowing from which team the ball came from and they never gave a warning they called it the first time it happened.

QUOTE(wildcat6 @ Jan 25 2007 - 04:48 PM) 826345825[/snapback]

That is unacceptable on the refs part they have to justify a call better than saying "my bad". I've never seen more technicals called than this season in a game between Cannon and Macon there were three called in the game. One of them was because a small basketball rolled out on the floor from the stands and the refs called a technical on Cannon without knowing from which team the ball came from and they never gave a warning they called it the first time it happened.

I agree. This year especially it seems that the officiating has just been out of control. Every game, save maybe three, have had at least one technical. They are literally giving them out like candy. I think the refs may want to make a deeper consideration and consultation with the other refs before flying off and giving a T. especially when it has to do with things such as stray basketballs, flying water bottles, etc.

they seem like their trying to prove something one ref will be at mid court and call a walk or charge under the basket where another ref 4-6 feet from players looking right at play calls nothing and coach don't agree gets T'd up. in most cases their in front of other teams bench and the bench makes the call and ref agrees. i don't blame a ref fif he's consistant and in position to make the call but often times after a badcall is debated some of them get chip on shoulder and takes it out on team and others try and make it up which is just as bad

QUOTE(senator @ Jan 25 2007 - 06:38 PM) 826345997[/snapback]

they seem like their trying to prove something one ref will be at mid court and call a walk or charge under the basket where another ref 4-6 feet from players looking right at play calls nothing and coach don't agree gets T'd up. in most cases their in front of other teams bench and the bench makes the call and ref agrees. i don't blame a ref fif he's consistant and in position to make the call but often times after a badcall is debated some of them get chip on shoulder and takes it out on team and others try and make it up which is just as bad

I've seen several calls similar to that a lot of times the ref that makes the call is now where near where the play takes place.

The other nite our team was pressing and if the back defending post sees a trap possibility he yells "55" to the on ball defender. When the count was at 3 or 4 he yells 55 and the ref throws a T on him. The ref told the coach he didn' t need his players help counting. Coach says thats a defensive call and the ref says, now get this, I've played and reffed for years and never heard of it. 2 shots and the ball.

As an official, I can say that as a rule ( I cant speak for 100% of the guys in the state, but all the ones I know and work with i can) do not target schools or players or coaches even for that matter for Technical fouls. We dont decide who we are going to call for before the game. We go out and try to call what we see. We try to be as fair as possible. I know that we miss calls, just like players miss shots, but we do try to do a good job. Most of the guys I call with are in it for the kids too. Its great to see players grow up on and off the floor.

We do try to be fair! We do try to be unbiased! But we are human....we do make mistakes. Personally, I try to learn each time I mess up on the floor, and I do my best not to make the same mistake again...Remember these things before you think an official is out to "get" you...its probably just not true.!!.

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Jan 25 2007 - 11:15 PM) 826346425[/snapback]

As an official, I can say that as a rule ( I cant speak for 100% of the guys in the state, but all the ones I know and work with i can) do not target schools or players or coaches even for that matter for Technical fouls. We dont decide who we are going to call for before the game. We go out and try to call what we see. We try to be as fair as possible. I know that we miss calls, just like players miss shots, but we do try to do a good job. Most of the guys I call with are in it for the kids too. Its great to see players grow up on and off the floor.

We do try to be fair! We do try to be unbiased! But we are human....we do make mistakes. Personally, I try to learn each time I mess up on the floor, and I do my best not to make the same mistake again...Remember these things before you think an official is out to "get" you...its probably just not true.!!.

I totally agree with that. I think most of the rifs we have are alwyas unbiased, but it just seems like the T's are in ecxess this year for some reason

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Jan 25 2007 - 11:15 PM) 826346425[/snapback]

I agree most officials do a good job and and everyone makes mistakes but sometimes a bad call can determine the outcome of the game. I don't believe refs target coaches,teams,etc. but refs just seem to be calling more technicals than ever and maybe most of the ones who get them deserve it, but some of the ones I've seen were just not good calls. For the most part the refs do a great job but the ones that screw up make them all look bad.

This Cookeville assocaition of Refs have elephant memories and rabbit ears. They like to laugh about how they T up a coach or player and when they eject a coach. I use to ref basketball and this is a good ole boy group that like to compare their stories of chuckin coaches. Very unprofessional group as a whole. Some actually try and do a quality job but for most just a paycheck and a power trip.