Treyvols99

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was also there.

while punishment will appropriately be dealt to players from each side,

who either participated in the fight, or came off the bench to join in,

the fault lies with the officiating crew.

unionville played well early, and cascade was a little flat.

however, the two teams are at different places in the cycle right now, and cascade started to pull away late in the half.

i am sure there was some frustration, and there were some hard fouls in which no play was being made for the ball.

intentional foul calls (as called for by the rules) right then might have gone a long way toward settling things down.

both coaches and the officials had a conference about the rough play,

at the end of the half.

it seemed to help briefly at the outset of the second half.

things started to get rough again as the 3rd progressed, but the game was called loose, instead of cracking down. bodies hit the floor on a number of plays,

and both coaches pulled players off the floor, who appeared to be losing their temper, in an attempt to keep things under control.

about the third time i said that the officials had better stop play and talk to both teams before we have a fight, a fight broke out between two players.

some players came off both benches (others had the sense to stay put) and some people came out of the bleachers. at least part of those came to remove their own kids.

a large number of adults on both sides were content to act like idiots from the bleachers.

security apparently consisted of a single female officer, kind of hard to understand, given the history of problems when these two teams play.

none the less, order was restored in a relatively short time, both teams went to the locker rooms, and the crowd was sent home.

none of it had to happen.

1) call intentional fouls when they occur. ie no play for the ball, or unnecessarily rough foul.

2) call the game closer when things start getting too physical.

3) stop the game when players are obviously getting mad, and talk to both teams while allowing a cooling off period.

i am familiar with two of the officials at tonights game, and they do a good job of getting the calls "right". however, as a crew, in this instance they failed to maintain control of the game.

No doubt it was a ugly night in Unionville. Tensions have been high for most of the season and you could almost feel that soemthing like this was going to happen on the floor or in the stands at some point this season. However the problem with the fight or any fight in a ballgame is when players leave thier benches or fans leave their seats. If no one comes off the bench or out of thier seats then the two players are ejected and we play. But fans come on the floor and players come as well you just have more of a mess with fights breaking out all over the place. It was a sad situation and I hate that it ever happened. Also I place no blame for a parent coming to the floor when a child is involved in soemthing like this, At first I thought they were wrong but then I put myself in their shoes and I could not see myself sitting there and watching my child getting piled on. The parents that came on the floor I believe were truly coming to break up the fight and in no way start more trouble..... It was a terrible night and I hope we can get this behind us and move on. I also wish Cascade all the luck in the world and that they too might move forward and get refocused...

I hate this. I used to live in Unionville. It's always been a rivalry but let me tell you my experiences with things like this. It is probably going to be really bad for both schools. More than likely the two schools will be banned from post season play for several years. I've seen this happen at other schools when the fans got involved.