Region 4-5A

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Mar 16 2007 - 04:43 PM) 826414408[/snapback]That's news...If he is changing things, they will be minor. Nothing big like the scheme. Thats just my opinion

The straight 50 tends to have trouble adjusting to multiple- spread offenses without major shifts or personell groupings. The 50 definitely has trouble vs. passing offenses. Is very good vs. the run and Riverdales veer, schematicaly anyway.

QUOTE(Mc cowboy @ Mar 16 2007 - 06:43 PM) 826414520[/snapback]The straight 50 tends to have trouble adjusting to multiple- spread offenses without major shifts or personell groupings. The 50 definitely has trouble vs. passing offenses. Is very good vs. the run and Riverdales veer, schematicaly anyway.

Yeah, it would be news to me if Coach Moose changed anything, but then again he is a defensive genius. And yes, like all teams, we go through many shifts during the course of a season including different front and back alignments, but the 50 has been the base for Oakland for many years and is quite efficient.

QUOTE(Bacillum @ Mar 16 2007 - 11:21 PM) 826414948[/snapback]Yeah, it would be news to me if Coach Moose changed anything, but then again he is a defensive genius. And yes, like all teams, we go through many shifts during the course of a season including different front and back alignments, but the 50 has been the base for Oakland for many years and is quite efficient.

The 50 has served us well and seems to be our bread and butter. I would also be shocked if it was changed by Coach Moose. All good D's make adjustments and tweaks against different O's. That D kept us within 6 of Smyrna last yr who was and is predominantly a passing team. If Rick Collins belived in the 50 at Riverdale and did so well with it with his renowned Defenses.........I say stick with what you know.

QUOTE(2priceless @ Mar 17 2007 - 12:38 PM) 826415367[/snapback]The 50 has served us well and seems to be our bread and butter. I would also be shocked if it was changed by Coach Moose. All good D's make adjustments and tweaks against different O's. That D kept us within 6 of Smyrna last yr who was and is predominantly a passing team. If Rick Collins belived in the 50 at Riverdale and did so well with it with his renowned Defenses.........I say stick with what you know.

50 is good but requires more when making adjustments. I just believe a 4-2-5 or 4-3 simplifies against the teams Oakland plays. A stright 50 is not good against the pass unless you can ensure that you will get pressure. So many things give it trouble. Spread, spread with motions, shifts, shifts and then motions. To many adjustments to make. The offenses that Oakland plays are more spread out and Oakland lost to most of those spread out teams. No offense, Oakland has a very good defense with a very good coaching staff. Just my opinion on the 50 for the most part. Some teams however can get it coached and it is effective if you have time to go over the adjustments. If it aint broke don't fix it.

QUOTE(Mc cowboy @ Mar 17 2007 - 07:46 PM) 826415604[/snapback]50 is good but requires more when making adjustments. I just believe a 4-2-5 or 4-3 simplifies against the teams Oakland plays. A stright 50 is not good against the pass unless you can ensure that you will get pressure. So many things give it trouble. Spread, spread with motions, shifts, shifts and then motions. To many adjustments to make. The offenses that Oakland plays are more spread out and Oakland lost to most of those spread out teams. No offense, Oakland has a very good defense with a very good coaching staff. Just my opinion on the 50 for the most part. Some teams however can get it coached and it is effective if you have time to go over the adjustments. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I 2 love the 50 and favor it most days. Although it's harder to disguise coverages when in the 50.

QUOTE(wiseguy @ Mar 17 2007 - 08:50 PM) 826415661[/snapback]I 2 love the 50 and favor it most days. Although it's harder to disguise coverages when in the 50.

I like an 8 man front but the spread offense has made the traditional defenses around here work on their adjustments.

It depends if the team is spreading you out to run it (what most teams are doing) or if they are actually spreading it out to pass (definetly happens in Williamson Co.).

I think a simple adjustment for 5-3 teams to make is droping their ends and playing a 3-3. If you have athletic ends it is a pretty easier adjustment, but if not you may have to sub for them.

QUOTE(Middle Tennessee Football @ Mar 17 2007 - 09:15 PM) 826415681[/snapback]I like an 8 man front but the spread offense has made the traditional defenses around here work on their adjustments.

It depends if the team is spreading you out to run it (what most teams are doing) or if they are actually spreading it out to pass (definetly happens in Williamson Co.).

I think a simple adjustment for 5-3 teams to make is droping their ends and playing a 3-3. If you have athletic ends it is a pretty easier adjustment, but if not you may have to sub for them.

I agree with most of what u r saying. 40 coverage people get work daily and should know what to do as do DE's keep contain, don't get kicked, squeeze when tackle scoops, rush the QB. Not so with the 50 ends. Now ya gotta spend what little practice time u have coaching em to play the flats, play man, etc. while teaching the tackles what the ends should already know about technique and blitzes with LB's + remember their own techs. Compound that with motion and a kid has to move and communication breaks down. Not saying people don't already do it well, just think ya get more bang 4 your buck with the 40 when playing a spread team that is balanced. Side note, wonder what the average GPA is for high school kids?

QUOTE(wiseguy @ Mar 17 2007 - 09:58 PM) 826415771[/snapback]I agree with most of what u r saying. 40 coverage people get work daily and should know what to do as do DE's keep contain, don't get kicked, squeeze when tackle scoops, rush the QB. Not so with the 50 ends. Now ya gotta spend what little practice time u have coaching em to play the flats, play man, etc. while teaching the tackles what the ends should already know about technique and blitzes with LB's + remember their own techs. Compound that with motion and a kid has to move and communication breaks down. Not saying people don't already do it well, just think ya get more bang 4 your buck with the 40 when playing a spread team that is balanced. Side note, wonder what the average GPA is for high school kids?

With the right personel, almost any front is successful.

I like a 50 myself.

QUOTE(wiseguy @ Mar 17 2007 - 09:58 PM) 826415771[/snapback]I agree with most of what u r saying. 40 coverage people get work daily and should know what to do as do DE's keep contain, don't get kicked, squeeze when tackle scoops, rush the QB. Not so with the 50 ends. Now ya gotta spend what little practice time u have coaching em to play the flats, play man, etc. while teaching the tackles what the ends should already know about technique and blitzes with LB's + remember their own techs. Compound that with motion and a kid has to move and communication breaks down. Not saying people don't already do it well, just think ya get more bang 4 your buck with the 40 when playing a spread team that is balanced. Side note, wonder what the average GPA is for high school kids?

Well good thing for Oakland, we have had some very good ends. Last year the starting ends were over 6' tall and could run. (Blissard and Howse)