Wartburg

knight2

I have no dog in this but I do not understand why so much talk about this? Has Dallas ever won the regional or been to the state in his term has the coach? The new coach must know coaching high school is different than coaching Middle school but he will learn how I am sure that Wartburg does not pay much for coaching so who would you want? Let this guy try and stand behind him if after a few years he can not win then start trying to get a new coach.

People on here been saying that the school broard members done this well vote them out the next election if you do not like what they have done.

On paper Wartburg should have a very good team next year but they should had won more games this year also so give this guy a chance.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess at times that I have gotten a bit out of hand. I am truly sorry about any comments that may have offended any players or parents. I hope all the girls are great in middle school next year. That would be the best for all of us.

Who else would have been interested in the position sportsman1? I would just have liked to know. I know Marcum is/was not interested. So if not him who? Mike, Mike's dad, or Jason have never operated behind the scenes. There was no backroom deal cut, nobody else applied bottom line. How is that Jason or Mike's fault. Who hired Marcum at Wartburg?...Mike Who hired Tonya at Wartburg?....Mike Mr. Davis (Mike) is not a man that would appoint someone his son or not that couldn't do the job!

Also, sportsman your time table is off on the board extending Mike's contract it was done in the fall, Jason was hired in June! Again your facts don't hold up.

We are behind you girls and I'm sorry if you were offended by any of my statements about any of your former or current players. Posts have been edited and or deleted! I really don't think that he (Dallas) is the kind of man that would appoint someone to a job reguardless of who he is if it were to mean that the kids he loves so much were going to be hurt. He hired Jason and thus must think he can do a good job.

I also, think that this thread has worn out it's welcome! I hope they shut it down.

QUOTE(sportsman1 @ Mar 3 2007 - 11:29 PM) 826398944[/snapback]Anybody with half a brain knows what happened with Dallas, especially anybody who is relatively close Morgan Co. sports. Dallas was put in an unneccessary situation. I agree about Dallas talking about stepping down for several years but even without the facts you can figure it out. A job was "posted" shortly (over the summer when nobody is paying attention to sports) and one person was interviewed. Who was Dallas supposed to recommend? Why was nobody else called and why did nobody else know about the opening? Because it was meant to be that way. That one person happened to be the Director of Schools' son. The Director of Schools was the one who decided Dallas should make the choice. Do I need to make it any clearer? By the way the certain board member stayed behind the scenes but was very active in this decision. That person also carried the swing vote (4-2 vote) to extend the Director's contract for 2 more years which was renewed the same month that this took place.

Being at Wartburg Central Middle and playing against no schools in your district that are larger than you, you should always be in the top 3 teams in the district by shear talent. Now with that being said I believe that Jason does have a strong desire to be a good coach but I don't know if he knows how to get there. Being at Wartburg and playing against no schools in your district that are larger than you, you should always be in the top 3 teams in the district by shear talent. I believe he would benefit from a few years assisting Dallas or another more knowledgable coach with more discipline. I also think we can all agree that he has the talent to win the district within the next 2 years because of Wartburg's tremendous depth. In year 2 of his tenure Armes should be dominant and Fountain should be an all-star in the post. He also has several great role players that need a little work and some PT to get into great form. So all we can do is wait and see. I hope he is successful because I would like to see the women's program maintain it's high level of competitiveness in the district.

Sportsman1?

you need to get your facts straight, the board member as you are saying stayed behind the scenes was the one that recommended Mike Davis for the Director's job 2 years ago and the one that recommended him for the 2 year extension not the swing vote. You must not like him or have some kind of somthing against him. He has stayed out of this with the with the exception of asking the Director of Schools to have a transisition year for the girls. Again I have talked to him several times on this and he is always willing to listen and hear from anyone in his district. He has always said he wanted to stay behind the scene because of his daughter, not wanting any of the girls getting hurt. This is what everyone that is writing in this needs to do and drop the name calling and lets get behind all the students which if that is really what we are suppose to do and let them have some fun playing and going to the best school in the area CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL BULLDOGS.

Being at Wartburg Central Middle and playing against no schools in your district that are larger than you, you should always be in the top 3 teams in the district by shear talent. Now with that being said I believe that Jason does have a strong desire to be a good coach but I don't know if he knows how to get there. Being at Wartburg and playing against no schools in your district that are larger than you, you should always be in the top 3 teams in the district by shear talent. I believe he would benefit from a few years assisting Dallas or another more knowledgable coach with more discipline.

Sportsman,

I know that school size matters alot in some sports, ie football. I just don't think it has the same effect on backetball. Lets look at the facts

Over the past two seasons Central High with an enrollment of 421 has lost to Greenback 4 times (enrollment 248), Oneida 4 times (enrollment 367), Coalfield 3 times (enrollment 199), 4 times to Oakdale (Enrollment 141), 1 time to Harriman (enrollment 350). That's 16 games in two years that we've lost to schools that are smaller than we are. Oakdale and Coalfield have been to state tournaments and together their enrollment of around 340 would still leave them much smaller than Wartburg. In 2005-2006 they finished behind Oakdale, Cosby, Oneida, and Greenback in Region standings. Size is simply not as important in Basketball, Dallas is a GREAT coach, but even great coaches in this sport lose to smaller schools. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I think sportsman needs to spend some time training under a more knowledgable and disciplined coacht member before being allowed to post again. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

The program is going to be fine!

Then why did he turn down the recommendation to grandfater all coaches that was already in place to stay in there positions and my question is if they don't want addmin. coaching why have they let vice prncipals keep coaching if the principal is not able to peform his or her duties then the vice principal steps in and that puts you back at squre one to me its all political in this case and one more thing I talked to a board member back in early January and my understanding was that Dallas had not decided to step down just yet that he had not made up his mind so bieng if that was the cace why would you even do a interving process if the coach at hand had not made up his mind what he was going to do they seem to be to much smoke in this thing and were there is smoke they are fire

Not true oldschool, Dallas made his decision in May and that is why there was a transition position in the first place! By the way the board can't legally grandfather people in any longer. You should get with sportsman and see if you could get some training before you post! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

What district was the boardmember from?

I do not have any kids playing at wartburg but i have family and i have watch a few middle school games this year. I dont even know jason only when i see him and im sure he is a good person, but a good person cant win games or coach a team by being a good person we have the same problem at our school. From what i seen of this coaching abilities there not there yet to coach a high scool team. I was behind the bench at one game and someone on the bench said to run a box n one he had no clue what that was anyone that knows anything about basketball should know what that is he didnt. From what i seen the guy sitting next to him and the justes lady knew way more than he did. I not bashing him im just stating the facts as an outsider. I am from a different county and to be competitive you have to play people out of your league and thats not happening at the middle school or high school

Hmmmmm box and 1.....ummmm Never heard of it /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You have got to be kidding! Look lady everyone that has ever coached knows what a box and 1 is.

If the I.Q. continues to go up like this on here someone may get a group rate on knowledge and discipline training! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'm going to go read up on that box & one thing maybe I'll be able to spread some knowledge myself!

One more thing and i will wait on a reply from my message. From what i am hearing there are some girls that dallas is not playing because lack of talent not saying they are not good but not has good has who he has on the floor, if jason gets the job then those players will see more playing time because of who they are. Where Im from and where i played ball it DID NOT matter who you are or where your from if you had the talent you played if you didnt you were cut or keep on the bench. There was a statement made on this topic about he didnt have one leading girl to work with first of all it takes the five on the floor and the ones on the bench to have a successful team one player CAN NOT win game. Just my opinion. Thanks for you time. Good luck next year lady dogs. Hope everything works out for the best.

As for the transition to the high school level and the fact that the team will suffer or not. Time will tell there. We will be able to see by this point next year how the lack of experience effected the season. NO AMOUNT OF TALK ON HERE WILL DETERMINE SUCCESS, IT WILL BE DECIDED ON THE FLOOR!! And the people that play will be the ones that earn it in practice and during workouts in the fall

Nuff Said! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Charlie M,

If you are who i think you are i suppose we should take your word for it.

I don't know if davis knows what a box and one is but I've seen his teams run great 1-3-1, 2-3, 1-2-2 zones in the 1/2 court. They had as good a group of press packages as there was in the Dist. this year! His teams always score well. After talking to a few people this morning they said that the rift between Jason and Goldston that goes all the way back to 98 is over. The two even team teach a class now, talk alot of ball and are very good friends. I for one am glad to hear that. The person I talked to played for Goldston and Jason's girls run alot of the same 1/2 court stuff offensively....i didn't realize that. I had not been aware that Jason was the morgan county coach of the year in 2004-2005, I thought he was just named on coacht.

I also, asked about the fact that some kids may play over others and was told by several that all the talk about that was untrue. Jason will play the ones that deserve to play. Oh, and Charliemurphy, when you figure out that box and 1 thing please post as to what it is and how it works....I'm sure that Jason would appreciate it

Floridagirl,

Box and 1 Commonly known as a junk defense

This defense uses four defenders playing zone defense in the standard "box" set-up. Two defenders are on the low blocks, and two are up at the elbows.

The fifth defender plays man-to-man defense against the star player. This defense may work best against a team with a good point-guard or perimeter player.

I should charge for this stuff

There it is I was the first to uncover the mystery of the box and 1! I should be the next coach at CHS /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ....errr, well, ummmmmm...wait a minute...anyway could we put this nonsense to bed now and get behind our boys who have a BIGGGGG game on Monday?